cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible for Ebay to connect accounts because they are using a Hotspot ?

If I enable my hotspot, and a person logs into their Ebay on their phone (or is already logged in) while connected to my hotspot, is it possible for Ebay to know the connection is through my phone, and therefore link our accounts in some way? 

I'm not exactly sure how hotspot works, or how Ebay tracks accounts. 

I want to be 100% sure that the  accounts being connected is not going to be possible, or be an issue in any way. I am currently trying to bring my seller levels back up after suspension, and i am probably red flagged by ebay (if that is possible). I am committed to doing everything by the book and keeping my account in good standing. I have a friend who has horrible service when at my house. This person sells on ebay sometimes, and is probably signed in to there account on their phone. I don't want Ebay to think I am trying to get past my restrictions by using a different account and end up shutting down both of our accounts.  

Thank you in advance for any sort of feedback on this issue.... I handle constructive criticism well. 😁

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Is it possible for Ebay to connect accounts because they are using a Hotspot ?

Yeah, I wouldn't use the same Internet Service/Public IP as an existing account, if that's the case.  You will want to be careful.  eBay can "associate" one account with another, and especially if one has been flagged before.

All the hotspot does, is create a "router" with your phone.  The internet service on your phone is the same.  So if you have used that phone for eBay already with the flagged account, then any device that also accesses eBay through that phone or hotspot will be tagged by the same public IP the phone has.   Using a VPN might get around that as it changes the public IP shown to the internet.

That said.  I'm also not condoning using that as a work around to get past eBay restrictions. This is an even bigger no-no.  Regardless of the how or the why those restrictions happen, trying to get around them can cause an even larger issue.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 2 of 2
latest reply