cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is an autographed paperback worth a percentage more than non-autographed?

I have an autographed copy of a Pamela Caldwell (1992) paperback "Stormswept Caress" listed and was wondering if I should lower price a bit.  I have not seen any for sale and actually am not sure how much value is placed on an autograph (if any).  Am I way too high or low? It is not in perfect condition but is all in one piece and very readable.  Any help is appreciated and welcome.  Thanks for looking.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Use Bookfinder.... its a very useful site and easy to use.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Use Bookfinder.... its a very useful site and easy to use.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Depends on the person and the value of their work.

I have several autographed books, but the person, book or subject matter is not in demand so I can list the autographed book for a buck and it wouldn't sell any faster than the hundreds of ones that contain no autograph and go unsold.

(*Bleep*)
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@doubledz-a2z

Great! Thanks, I wil try it.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@retrose1

Thanks for that input. I am beginning to think this one is not very high value either. Maybe too many were sold new or whatever.  I have not read it, not my "cuppa" since I prefer Lee Child's "Jack Reacher".

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

No

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Since it's a paperback and not the first trade edition the value will be whatever is placed on the value of  an autograph of that particular author.  I'm guessing that's not much.  If someone like Stephen King signed a napkin it would probably be worth more than that.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

An autograph usually doesn't make much of a difference unless it was from a head of state or someone like that. A lot of authors attended countless book signings and there are plenty of these books out there. It is also possible to just scrawl someone's name in the inside cover and give it as a gift and say :   "So and so signed it. I knew you would love it!"

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@campesinoplastic2014 wrote:

An autograph usually doesn't make much of a difference unless it was from a head of state or someone like that. A lot of authors attended countless book signings and there are plenty of these books out there. It is also possible to just scrawl someone's name in the inside cover and give it as a gift and say :   "So and so signed it. I knew you would love it!"

Like I said, it depends on the author. A signed Stephen King can go for over a thousand, depending on the book. A signed book by Jimmy Carter would go for much less. 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@deep-garnet-red wrote:

@campesinoplastic2014 wrote:

Like I said, it depends on the author. A signed Stephen King can go for over a thousand, depending on the book. A signed book by Jimmy Carter would go for much less. 

But that signed Jimmy will be worth hundreds an hour after Jimmy passes away.

I have an autographed Sarah Palin book that no one is interested in.  Used to get about $15-25 a piece for them a couple years ago and a hundred when she was running for VP.

I have a 1890s biography of a person that lived through the Civil War - autographed by the subject and I can't get any interest in it.  Picked up an autographed self help book, no interest.  I have a couple of celebrity autos that I am just waiting for them to pass on, because their name isn't worth much now.

(*Bleep*)
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@ebuyingcat

Back in the 90's my wife took a class in forensics (sp)

The local guy, law dog, wrote several books "murder in the heartland"

I had him sign a set of books...

Harry said she could have been good...

But she could not stand blood...

I have a rare book from the early 1900's

I can find no info about it... bummer

Message 11 of 11
latest reply