cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is an Uber Ride to the post office Tax Deductible? 🤔

This is a serious question I pondered on my Uber ride home from the post office today... sellers often talk about gas & mileage to & from post office being tax deductible... what about cost of an uber ride? My thoughts are yes, it is deductible.

Please don't tell me to consult a tax professional. I'm not truly/seriously seeking tax advice. I'm sharing a question that crossed my mind today. 

Unnecessary, but to answer the potential question... Normally I walk, ride my bike or drive to the post office. Driving wasn't an option today and I had a 40+lb package I NEEDED to pick up ASAP, so I walked there and Ubered home... 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I would at least try to claim it. The only problem is getting a receipt. During an audit, they'll ask for a receipt.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Uber emailed me a receipt immediately after the ride. This is from my email inbox.

Screenshot_20230919_055516_Gmail.jpg

But as with everything, there are always records of "orders" and "payments" on any online account you have. Can always print an invoice or "receipt".

Uber isn't a traditional taxi service (call for a cab or stand on the curb in the city and stick you hand out), it utilizes an online account (i.e. paper trail).

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

It is deductible and I have done it on a couple of occasions when my car has been in the shop and I needed to get things to the PO. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Anything, absolutely anything you do that involves your business and cost's money or mileage is tax deductible. I write off the most I possibly can every year and that includes uber trips if needed, meals, car washes, storage, mileage from sourcing etc... etc... so yes you can. I also drive uber in the winter months as well and I pick up a decent amount of business people and they all write it off, as I've asked them about it.

Also, not a tax professional, no idea what I"m talking about and not tax advise.

Crazy how we even have to say that in the first place.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

You betcha!

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Exactly what I figured. Was probably going to write it off regardless 🤣 I was feeling extra stingy when I saw the price. I mean $13 isn't bad to go pick up about $6,000+ in new inventory a day or two sooner than I would otherwise, but the $13 was still bugging me so I figured I gotta squeeze something out of it.

Haha, well, I figure everyone wants to CYA and say they aren't a CPA. I made sure to put it in my OP so I didn't get a laundry list of replies saying "consult a CPA, stop asking us". There is a distinction between legal/tax advice & academic conversation. This falls into the latter (or was intended as such).

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

You can schedule online for the USPS to pickup packages at no fee's for the services. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Thanks, I'm aware of it and do use that as needed.

This was me picking up a very large package from a PO Box, not me dropping packages off.

Edit: Okay, actually I did drop packages off... I walked there, usually walk or bike. I needed the Uber on the return trip because there was no way I was carrying a 42 lb box 3.5 miles home by walking or biking.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply