cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International sales gone

The new international sales program was applied to our booth in late Spring and since then we've had almost no sales outside the U.S. Would this have been a coincidence? We normally had at least 8-10 international buyers a month and since Spring we've had only 2 or 3 in about 7 months. Most of our international sales were from China or other Asian countries, so perhaps politics has had a role, but we still think it is strange and are wondering if others are experiencing the same thing.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

International sales gone

My domestic sales are like 4-5 days in a row...no International...and then like 2-3 days in a row with only International buyers with no domestic buyer sales.....excluding all my repeat buyers. Call me nuts but I see a thread....a few months this has been happening now. I did opt-out EIS before this started.

And funny...I offer free domestic shipping and charge for International Shipping.

Listing items every day not really helping. And I just recently listed all my high end items promoted at the maximum rate per eBay standards.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

International sales gone

@vintagechicandmerry 

Were you using  the GSP before eIS, or were you shipping directly international?

If you were shipping directly, you can "opt out" of eIS, and go back to direct shipping.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

International sales gone

I have ordered many items to my home address in Canada that have shipped out of the United States.  On these purchases I am charged shipping, duties, customs and taxes directly by the platform and they are to remit those duties to the Canada Revenue Agency.  However, since the new program I am also being charged taxes, customs & duties AT THE DOOR.  This has made purchases from the United States much too expensive.  On a $100 item, I am charged $70 in additional charges by the platform during checkout ... and then an additional $60 at the door.  This is $130 in charges on a $100 item.  That is just not doable.  With the GSP program, I was NEVER EVER charged taxes, fees and duties a second time at the door.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

International sales gone

It's a pain, but you can contact CBSA with your eBay invoice showing that import fees were paid at source and get your excess payment back.

For more information, post to the eBay Canada Buyer's Board.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

International sales gone

The cost of international shipping to and from Asia has gone up considerably in just the past year. A package that used to cost $20 when sent EMS from Japan now costs $39.

I suspect that is the culprit behind fewer international sales.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

International sales gone

Thank you so much for your answer. We were guessing the new program increased the cost to buyers but didn't see that described in their material about the program.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

International sales gone

Thank you, we thought cost for buyers was probably the reason.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

International sales gone

Are you sure?  I ask because your buyer won't be paying you for international shipping, they pay you US shipping to the Ebay processing center.  That confuses sellers sometimes.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 9 of 23
latest reply

International sales gone

Thank you for your answer. Yes, we also see patterns in domestic sales this year which seem to indicate it is not worth trying to figure out how to overcome them. We suspect we are in a "tier" that is a controlling factor, and don't believe there is much we can do about it.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

International sales gone

No, we don't ship directly. Thank you.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

International sales gone

@vintagechicandmerry wrote:

We were guessing the new program increased the cost to buyers but didn't see that described in their material about the program.

It was projected as being cheaper. Well it was cheaper then the Global Shipping Program but it was more expensive the the eBay Standard International Delivery.  The price was between these two programs.  It is still much cheaper using a different shipping provider.

The new program takes some of the worries and difficulties out of international shipping and you are not charged the extra 1.65% International Fee.  These qualities would seem to attract more sellers to sell internationally.  But it does comes at a higher price to the buyer than other options so it could turn buyers away. 

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

International sales gone

Got two EIS orders today ending a lull. But I also had a domestic lull.

Many countries are having a harder time than the US, so some buyers are ordering less often.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

International sales gone

Yes, good point. We are aware we have a lot to be grateful for in the USA.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

International sales gone

Thank you, but we are indeed aware that international sales go to a US ship center and are not confused about who the buyers are. 

Message 15 of 23
latest reply