cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Irma's Path and Have Auction with Bid Ending 9/11

I'm in Winter Haven, Florida. We're in Hurricane Irma's predicted path. I have ended my listings except for one that received a bid yesterday. I'd experienced little to no interest in my listings for over a month and it didn't even cross my mind to end my listings until I received the bid on the one. I realized then that we will probably be without power and Internet access for at least a few days to several weeks following the storm, and I may not be able to access the info I need to confirm payment received and to ship. Plus, I have no idea how the Postal service will be affected, and for how long.

As soon as I realized the potential mess this could be, I messaged the bidder letting them know of this possibility. I stated that if they wished to retract their bid due to the situation,  I  would end the listing.  I also offered to relist the item once I'm able to, at their bid price, as a BIN, and to notify them immediately upon relisting it. So far, they have not responded.

Is there something else I can or should do? I'm so freaked about the storm, and can't think straight right now.

Belle
Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Belle, You could just cancel the bid and end the listing, then send another very polite email explaining that you are in the path of Irma and regretfully feel that it is in the buyer's best interest for you to cancel her bid and end the listing due to the uncertain and dangerous situation you are in.  You will let them know when you re-list, thank you for your patience and understanding.

Hopefully that will cover it.

I love Winter Haven; used to stay around there, Sebastian, Melbourne.  Then down at Orlando.  I thnk there was an Amtrak station in Winter Haven, right by an orange juice factory.  The air was fragrant with the scent of oranges.  Fond memories.

Stay safe!heart  You're i n our thoughts and prayers, Belle!  ((hugs))

Message 2 of 53
latest reply

Cancel the bid and end the listing.

Don't worry about the bidder's response or lack of.

Message 3 of 53
latest reply

Just let it ride, and concentrate on staying safe. You've done what you could do.

Message 4 of 53
latest reply

Belle, On tv today, they were saying that people could be without power for weeks!  

Message 5 of 53
latest reply

I agree with the advice that you should just end the listing, you have so many other things to think about and deal with.  

Before you end it, you can add a sentence to the Description, explaining why you're ending it and that you will relist as soon as circumstances permit.  To end an auction early, use this form; as part of the cancellation process, you'll hvae the optino to cancel the bid.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?EndingMyAuction

Message 6 of 53
latest reply

Cancel the bid and end it. It will be a long time before the USPS is running properly in Florida. Irma is here, and it's moving slow. It's VERY nasty out and she's still over water. Forget Ebay for a while, there are bigger Katushin to fry baby girl !!!

Message 7 of 53
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

Belle, You could just cancel the bid and end the listing, then send another very polite email explaining that you are in the path of Irma and regretfully feel that it is in the buyer's best interest for you to cancel her bid and end the listing due to the uncertain and dangerous situation you are in.  You will let them know when you re-list, thank you for your patience and understanding.

Hopefully that will cover it.

I love Winter Haven; used to stay around there, Sebastian, Melbourne.  Then down at Orlando.  I thnk there was an Amtrak station in Winter Haven, right by an orange juice factory.  The air was fragrant with the scent of oranges.  Fond memories.

Stay safe!heart  You're i n our thoughts and prayers, Belle!  ((hugs))

Thanks so much, @castlemagicmemories. If I end it early would one option be to close it out with the high bid winning it? I need to go in and revise my automatic Unpaid Items case settings, too if that option exists.

Belle
Message 8 of 53
latest reply

If I end it early would one option be to close it out with the high bid winning it?

You can, but why would you? 

When you end the listing you are given the choice of cancelling bids or not.  If you don't cancel the bid you have a winning bidder.

Message 9 of 53
latest reply

When you end the listing early you have two choices: Sell to the current high bidder, or cancel bids and end with no transcation.  

I don't understand why you'd choose to sell to the high bidder, knowing that it's  unlikely that your Post Office will be open on Monday.  You'd be better-off letting it run its course and end on Tuesday.

Message 10 of 53
latest reply

@southernfriedbelle

Right after I posted, I thought of that; but decided that may not be a good idea.

You would probably need to change your handling time.  With what I heard today on CNN, people may not have power for weeks; certainly USPS will be impacted.  I just think it is too risky, but you are down there and it is your call.  

If you change your handling time, buyer may feel bambozzled because that was not the time that was on the listing for estimated delivery.  While Ebay has posted that things may be delayed, you still have the buyer who may not have even noticed you were in FL when the bid was placed.  

Personally, and I hate to have you give up a sale, I just think that it would be in your best interests to just cancel the bid and end the listing.  But no offense, I know you have to do as YOU think best!  The uncertainty as to when the PO will be able to open and be functioning is paramount.  Very iffy.  

Just stay safe, hon.  

Message 11 of 53
latest reply

@jpcustomsonline wrote:

Just let it ride, and concentrate on staying safe. You've done what you could do.

Thanks for the input, @jpcustomsonline. I appreciate your input, but I'm afraid of how the aftermath of this storm will impact us for weeks to come, and the consensus seems to indicate ending is the safer and saner option. Lord knows I need all the sanity I can get right now! 

Belle
Message 12 of 53
latest reply

This thing is really bad. Just the edge is here, and I can tell you right now, a LOT of people are not going to be in any position to worry about packages, including the USPS, UPS etc.  There is a possibility that getting cell phone or internet signals won't happen so you may not be communicationg with E Bay customers. I would def forget E Bay til everything is running smoothly again, and nobody can predict when that may be.

Message 13 of 53
latest reply

@southernfriedbelle

If I had any sanity, I would send you some!Smiley Happyheart

Cancelling your listing will give you one less thing to stress about, Belle, if that helps.  You have more than enough to deal with now.

Deep breaths.  God hath not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and of a sound mind.   

Message 14 of 53
latest reply

stay safe & take care of your neighbors--don't worry about listings-praying for all of my Florida & Texas neighbors

Message 15 of 53
latest reply