cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you sell clothing- do you pack up clothing before selling?

I have lots of new or nearly new clothing to sell. I need to empty closets and want to list the items and them package the items neatly in bags, seal, and store them in a safe place. Should I note in my listing that the items have been neatly folded with tissue in between, and already packaged? (They will wrinkle this way, but I really need to clean my closets out). The items may sit for months in their shipping bags, but I see no other option. Any imput from others who sell clothing would be very helpful.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Thank you, all of you. You have given me things to think about. If I guess I could fold the clothing and put  them in totes with like types of clothing. Two closets is lots less than many of you have to sell. I have found with in my larger items, that when I box them and they are ready to go when they sell, it is LOTS easier. Thanks again.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I do not prepack my clothing.  If it doesn't sell, that is a waste of packing materials, and then when you do sell, how will you tell, that this dress is not that dress by the same brand and color?

On top of that - take it from one who knows, you will have a bigger mess of totes filled with packaged or just folded clothes all over the house.

I have 3 large heavy duty racks filled with clothes that I just left hanging, they are easier to find that way.  The knits and sweaters i fold and store in totes and banana boxes under the racks on pallets.

(*Bleep*)
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

My clothing items are stored in small numbered boxes stacked in a cupboard. I ship them in poly or flat rate envelopes. They do wrinkle, but I've never had a complaint. I assume the item will be washed before wearing anyway.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I second everyone else here - best just to pack the items in boxes or totes if you don't have spare closet space. To make it easier - pack all sweaters together and mark the box - same with the other items - keep similar items together. 

As far as wrinkling - even if they aren't prepackaged the items are probably going to wrinkle through shipping and most buyers know this.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@shevey55 wrote:

My clothing items are stored in small numbered boxes stacked in a cupboard. I ship them in poly or flat rate envelopes. They do wrinkle, but I've never had a complaint. I assume the item will be washed before wearing anyway.

From my experience selling clothing of any kind on eBay, that is a poor assumption.  Sending any clothing without washing it is just asking for a complaint from the buyer.  10 years ago, I sold a sweater on eBay and the buyer complained that it smelled bad when it arrived; I didn't machine-wash it so that thought didn't cross my mind back then... and the sweater was clean and was stored in my closet for years so I thought just sending it as-is was okay.  Lesson learned.

Any clothing I sell is machine-washed and sealed up in a ziplock-type bag.  Its always ready to mailed whenever it sells be it now or weeks/months.  I do put a note in my listing that the item is machine-washed before being sent to the buyer. 

Again, my experience only.  I am not a seller who regularly sells tons of clothing like the other responders here.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Of course I wash the clothes first (except the NWT). I even put a 1/2 cup of vinegar in the wash to help get rid of any odors. I guess I should have said most people will wash the items, especially if they are wrinkled.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I encourage buyers to buy multiples by offering "additional" shipping. So prepacking would be silly. 

I store all my textiles folded in plastic tubs (I don't live in a moist location). I have over a thousand textile items up for sale at any given time. I need to be able to make sure I'm sending the right thing.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Thank you, all of you. You have given me things to think about. If I guess I could fold the clothing and put  them in totes with like types of clothing. Two closets is lots less than many of you have to sell. I have found with in my larger items, that when I box them and they are ready to go when they sell, it is LOTS easier. Thanks again.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

As a buyer, I sometimes ask questions about measurements that are not in the listing. I move on when I'm told that the item is packed away and they may or may not feel like looking for it.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

If a seller can't be bothered to give measurements on clothing I wouldn't even take my time emailing to ask. So I'd never know if something was prepackaged.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Hi! I am a small seller and package my items before listing but leave them unsealed. This way there is no  scrounging for packing supplies at the eleventh hour and shipping cost is calculated because the package has been weighed and measured. 

I do everything i can to keep the clothing as pristine as possible while waiting for it to sell. Items are wrapped in tissue paper and placed in plastic bags as an extra layer of protection before it goes in a box or poly mailer. The outside of the package is discreetly marked with what is enclosed, plus the weight and dimensions. 

Prepackaging works well for me since i have one day shipping and everything is already done. When it sells, i just seal it and mail. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply