cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I don't do free returns then I will eventually pay 4% more in fees? Prove me wrong...please.

Please someone tell me I am confused (I can take it as I often am).  If I don't switch to free returns then enough buyers will claim false SNADs to get free returns.  The false SNADs will eventually trigger a 4% increase in the fees I pay.  Is this right?  If so, I should just bite the bullet and go with free returns, right (or wrong)?  Just for some perspective, in over 2000 transactions I've never had a return - not one.  This is a posting ID.

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

If I don't do free returns then I will eventually pay 4% more in fees? Prove me wrong...please.

If you've never had a return to begin with in 2,000 sales, why are you concerned you will all of a sudden encounter a slew of returns?

Message 2 of 33
latest reply

Because I am known for having the world's worst luck.  Also, when free returns become the norm around here, I think that if you don't do free returns then the false SNADs will also become the norm.  I'm probably confused though.

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

@modulok! wrote:

Because I am known for having the world's worst luck.  Also, when free returns become the norm around here, I think that if you don't do free returns then the false SNADs will also become the norm.  I'm probably confused though.

Well until ebay changes their policies, false SNADs by dishonest buyers will always rule everything.

I suppose it depends on what type of items you sell. What is your current return policy?

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

30 days, buyer pays return shipping, no restocking fees.  Maybe I should just go with the free returns since my return rate is essentially zero.  Are you doing free returns (if you don't mind me asking - if you do mind then you don't need to answer)?

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

@modulok! wrote:

30 days, buyer pays return shipping, no restocking fees.  Maybe I should just go with the free returns since my return rate is essentially zero.  Are you doing free returns (if you don't mind me asking - if you do mind then you don't need to answer)?

I think you can just keep that same return policy once the new policies go into affect, isn't that one of the choices?

Also, I have not decided yet what to do. Still trying to weigh the options. I'm not going to resume selling for about another month since I have some other things going on this summer before I can get back to it, so I still have some more time to consider which option will be best for me (or so I think). Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

I am not going to offer free returns
This doesn't mean I will fall  from TRS to above standard to below standard .
You should not feel forced into free returns 
Not sure if you have a high return category of selling as you are using a posting ID 
I am staying as is 30 days buyer pays return unless they file a Snad then I will deal with it.

Not going through life in ebay fear

Message 7 of 33
latest reply

You can have

No Returns

Accept Returns (buyer pays return shipping)

Accept Returns (Seller pays return shipping)

On ALL of those you can be TRS or Above Standard and pay the standard fees.

The ONLY way to be charged the extra fee rate is if you fall to Below Standard because you have multiple defects for unresolved cases or Seller initiated cancellations (Out of stock).

"Proof" here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling/seller-levels-performance-standards?id=4080&st=2&pos=1&que...

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

@modulok! wrote:

It has been my experience that such thinking only leads to self fulfilling prophecies.  There is really solid proof that positive thinking is a good thing and can really make a difference.  While negative thinking can frequently bring on negative things.  Your choice of course.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 9 of 33
latest reply

@labs118 wrote:

I am not going to offer free returns
This doesn't mean I will fall  from TRS to above standard to below standard .
You should not feel forced into free returns 
Not sure if you have a high return category of selling as you are using a posting ID 
I am staying as is 30 days buyer pays return unless they file a Snad then I will deal with it.

Not going through life in ebay fear

Well said.  I to will not be doing Free Returns on any of my fragrance listings.  I may try it on some of my craft stuff, but maybe not.  I do not like the program, so I am willing to do without the TRS discount.

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:
 ... The ONLY way to be charged the extra fee rate is if you fall to Below Standard because you have multiple defects for unresolved cases or Seller initiated cancellations (Out of stock)....

I think that's what the OP was thinking about: Defect points from  fake SNAD cases.  But as you noted, you only get a defect point if the case is unresolved, i.e., the seller doesn't respond and the buyer asks eBay to intervene.  

When the defect-point system was first introduced, sellers DID get a defect point when a case was filed; even eBay could see that was a disaster.

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

You can have

No Returns

Accept Returns (buyer pays return shipping)

Accept Returns (Seller pays return shipping)

On ALL of those you can be TRS or Above Standard and pay the standard fees.

The ONLY way to be charged the extra fee rate is if you fall to Below Standard because you have multiple defects for unresolved cases or Seller initiated cancellations (Out of stock).

"Proof" here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling/seller-levels-performance-standards?id=4080&st=2&pos=1&que...

Are you sure that CS has read that page and understands it?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 12 of 33
latest reply

@modulok! wrote:

Please someone tell me I am confused (I can take it as I often am).  If I don't switch to free returns then enough buyers will claim false SNADs to get free returns.  The false SNADs will eventually trigger a 4% increase in the fees I pay.  Is this right?  If so, I should just bite the bullet and go with free returns, right (or wrong)?  Just for some perspective, in over 2000 transactions I've never had a return - not one.  This is a posting ID.

If you've never had a return problem, offering seller paid returns isn't going to magically open the floodgates. I switched to seller paid returns two years ago. I never had a return before, I haven't had a return since.

You aren't required to offer free returns to sell. You won't fall below standard if you don't. You don't fall below standard for opened cases, you fall below standard for UNRESOLVED cases - cases where either the buyer or YOU ask Ebay to step in.  Ebay wants YOU to handle the return. When they have to do it, you get an unresolved case strike.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 13 of 33
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@slippinjimmy wrote:
 ... The ONLY way to be charged the extra fee rate is if you fall to Below Standard because you have multiple defects for unresolved cases or Seller initiated cancellations (Out of stock)....

I think that's what the OP was thinking about: Defect points from  fake SNAD cases.  But as you noted, you only get a defect point if the case is unresolved, i.e., the seller doesn't respond and the buyer asks eBay to intervene.  

When the defect-point system was first introduced, sellers DID get a defect point when a case was filed; even eBay could see that was a disaster.

True, but this changes in Sept.  The mere fact that a buyer opens a request for return will be held against us.  I have not gotten clarification on this point yet, but it appears that all types will be held against us.  BR, INR or SNAD.  But my questions on this never were completely answered by a board CSR, so I'm guessing I will have to wait until Wednesday for an answer from the Weekly Chat.  Well that is if they have one for general topics, as we have been 3 weeks without one.

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:
 ... this changes in Sept.  The mere fact that a buyer opens a request for return will be held against us.  I have not gotten clarification on this point yet, but it appears that all types will be held against us.  BR, INR or SNAD.  ...

I can't keep up with all the policy announcments lately.  Do you have a link for that?

Message 15 of 33
latest reply