cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS delay

What a joke to delay at the end of the year, what about those who didn't sell at all in 2022 to avoid the taxation? Pitiful.

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

IRS delay

For some that stopped it appears that not wanting to go through the annoyance of filing to show that they would not have owed any taxes was an unfortunate side effect.

For others in the "did not sell" group that stopped to avoid filing/paying...........  well, karma.

Message 2 of 82
latest reply

IRS delay

Am I suppose I feel sorry for those that stopped selling because they didn't want to deal with getting 1099d?

World's tiniest violin comes to mind.

Message 3 of 82
latest reply

IRS delay

For those who stopped selling for fear of the new 1099 threshold in 2022, we can only say thank you because their lost sales became the sales for other ebay sellers who stuck it out without fear of receiving a 1099 & for filing their tax paperwork!!! 😎

Message 4 of 82
latest reply

IRS delay

The joke is on the tax cheats that lost a whole year of income. LOL.  That is freaking hilarious. I didn't think that there were so many Einsteins that would actually stop selling because of this IRS notice.  You ONLY pay income taxes if you made a profit. If you are selling the crap in your closet or basement or garage like me, most of it sells at a loss.    You do NOT pay income taxes on losses.   This post gave me the best laugh of the day.    Thank you.

Message 5 of 82
latest reply

IRS delay

True.   This is a funny post.

Message 6 of 82
latest reply

IRS delay

@ms.rodriguez* wrote:

The joke is on the tax cheats that lost a whole year of income. LOL.  That is freaking hilarious. I didn't think that there were so many Einsteins that would actually stop selling because of this IRS notice.  You ONLY pay income taxes if you made a profit. If you are selling the crap in your closet or basement or garage like me, most of it sells at a loss.    You do NOT pay income taxes on losses.   This post gave me the best laugh of the day.    Thank you.

Then there are those that say, "everything is at a loss....so I don't have to report anything...the IRS will believe me I swear".   Lol
Or, "Great, I am not getting a 1099 so I don't have to do anything!  Woo Hoo!"
Wrong.  
I was actually looking forward to all the threads, and all the arguments that call us taxpayers "IRS cheerleaders".    Oh, wait, they're already out there.  Ra Ra Sis Boom Ba

Message 7 of 82
latest reply

IRS delay

@lepke1979 wrote:

World's tiniest violin comes to mind.

🎻

Message 8 of 82
latest reply

IRS delay

Yup @ms.rodriguez*  beat me to it.  The joke is actually that some people stopped selling b/c of the expected requirement.   If you chose to stop selling in order to avoid it, that's on you.  Nobody else. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 9 of 82
latest reply

IRS delay

@ms.rodriguez* wrote:

True.   This is a funny post.

I am thinking it did not get the hoped-for responses here. 😂

Message 10 of 82
latest reply

IRS delay

What is pitiful is how many of these threads are already here..............

Beyond a Joke 

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 11 of 82
latest reply

IRS delay

Back in the 15th or 16th century, not sure exactly, but tax evaders back then were beheaded. 

Message 12 of 82
latest reply

IRS delay

@ronscolt1911 wrote:

What a joke to delay at the end of the year, what about those who didn't sell at all in 2022 to avoid the taxation? Pitiful.

Why would you avoid taxation? If you sell your personal items at a loss you won’t be taxed on it and if your selling for profit your supposed to pay income tax on it. 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 13 of 82
latest reply

IRS delay

I didn't sell in 2022, and it wasn't about avoiding the taxation. Let me clarify things for all the comments being posted by all the tax experts and the oh so holy. 

According to this "new tax law" which has now been put on hold, these marketplaces were required to issue a 1099. What Ebay did was withhold funds until the seller furnished a full SSN. Ebay and the other marketplaces are not a enforcement arm of the IRS. It's the seller's responsibility to provide tax information to the IRS. And before you jump up and down, insisting a SSN is required, I'll point you towards Zelle, who furnishes the 1099 without any SSN. This is one example. A SSN is not required to issue a 1099. 

Ebay allowed me to continue selling past the $600 threshold and then sprung a hold on my funds. The fair thing would've been to suspend my account at the $600. Instead, they still have over $500 of my funds. My sales aren't taxable in the first place.  One last thing, my financial advisor advised against furnishing my SSN and couldn't understand why it was being requested. 

I agree it's a joke. Also, Ebay is pathetic for attempting to strong arm for the IRS. 

Message 14 of 82
latest reply

IRS delay

I would have rolled with making as much money on eBay as I could and paid the income tax regardless of the 1099 threshold but, that is the plan every year. 

Posting ID
Message 15 of 82
latest reply