cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't think eBay really wants us to make sales!

So there's an option to have buyers who accept and make offers pay immediately if they're accepted. In my store that is NOT turned on. I checked my settings after I got this from one of my regular buyers:

sinndex_0-1704843463390.png

BTW, no one else received the offer. She sent me a message and I "replied with offer" directly to her. (That's why it was such a good discount, she buys 40-50 tokens at a time from me and bids on all my 99 cent auctions).

I told her to just check out, and then I went and refunded 2.65 shipping on each one... mind you eBay is making 30 cents, but I don't think lots of buyers will trust their seller will refund shipping overages when this kind of thing happens. In my experience as a buyer, lots of sellers are not very flexible. They don't send you combined shipping invoices when their listing says they will, and when you just go ahead and pay to avoid a non payment strike, they don't bother to refund the overage you paid, even though their listing says they will. (I've just learnt not to believe anything anyone tells me unless trust has been established).

I got a message last night from someone wanting some tokens. He tells me that it was asking for $100 in shipping for all the things in his cart. (It was international, so my 5.80 promo would not apply. He did not accept offers, these were organic sales of items put in his cart). I tell him that there's nothing I can do if there's no request total button (I told him to use a computer, but that doesn't work well either, eBay tells them I don't combine shipping). I would just have to refund the overage.

Then my potential buyer "goes away" and doesn't buy them. I think that's the norm and I should count my lucky stars if people believe me (and when I refund the shipping overage once, they keep coming back and don't worry about shipping charges anymore).

What is the POINT of having an option to require payment on acceptance of an offer if eBay is going to FORCE that on my buyers when I didn't even enable that in my settings? The aforementioned buyer (in the screen shot above) has been able to accept some offers, but on that particular day she couldn't.

BTW, I yanked multiple items several times in the past two weeks to make a combined listing for someone so they could buy it now and check out with correct shipping (because it wasn't working for them to buy items one at a time with payment being required each time). To avoid what happened to the other poster with someone else jumping at the listing, I posted a really not so great photo that didn't show much, and didn't include everything I was offering. I sent him a photo of everything we agreed on (for him to verify I got all the tokens). There's trust there too because there's still not known in the listing, but I didn't want someone else to see good stuff and grab it when I was simply trying to help my buyer be able to pay with combined shipping. (Another international sale, so the cart wasn't working on this one either).

With all these issues, this is not a great platform for anyone who sells multiples to get into because it causes buyers so many issues when they want to buy more than one item (and get combined shipping costs).

C.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

I have read a few sellers, after they checked OFF the auto pay had been turned back on, so I would be checking very regularly, just in case.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 2 of 24
latest reply

@sin-n-dex 

Over the last couple of weeks eBay has been TWEAKING the "offer system".   As a buyer, I do not make offers or bid on those sellers products that require me to put up a payment source in order to proceed.  Last week was a total mess, and it is still apparently an intermittent application of an "enhancement, test, intended change" that looks like some wacked out glitch.  

I do often accept offers generated by the seller.  One had a screen that had the normal accept button, the other had the option to check out or decline as in your screen shot.  There are numerous discussion threads on this topic, and I will supply some of them for you here.  In one, I actually purchased something just to capture the screen shots...LOL... eBay is still not talking

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Received-offers-turning-into-sent-offers/m-p/34183295#M2328738

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Offers-being-accepted-then-not-showing-up-as-sold-creating-hav...

https://www.valueaddedresource.net/ebay-payment-process-offers-auctions/

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/eBay-Testing-Changes-To-Payment-Process-For-Offers-amp-Auction... (first)

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

@downunder-61 wrote:

I have read a few sellers, after they checked OFF the auto pay had been turned back on, so I would be checking very regularly, just in case.

I checked immediately after she privately emailed me the screen shot (just to see that it was in fact turned off), and it was.

But I do hear you, they like to change settings without telling us.

C.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

I checked immediately after she privately emailed me the screen shot (just to see that it was in fact turned off), and it was.

@sin-n-dex 

In the beginning of this mess, I also assumed that this somewhat crazy activity with buyer generated offers that were accepted by the seller and changing to YOU SENT AN OFFER....etc. outlined in those discussions was a function of the buyer requirements set to the default of YES. 
I thought if a seller simply changed them to NO, the craziness would cease. 

As more people responded, it was determined that this went on REGARDLESS of the Buyer Payment Requirements.     If set to yes, the buyer still had to put up a payment source in order to proceed, but what happened after that was not a result of the buyer requirements.  There was no more auto-billing, and no more instant payments for sellers that kept the YES designation and accepted a buyer's offer.   

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

@sin-n-dex 

In the beginning of this mess, I also assumed that this somewhat crazy activity with buyer generated offers that were accepted by the seller and changing to YOU SENT AN OFFER....etc. outlined in those discussions was a function of the buyer requirements set to the default of YES. 
I thought if a seller simply changed them to NO, the craziness would cease. 

As more people responded, it was determined that this went on REGARDLESS of the Buyer Payment Requirements.     If set to yes, the buyer still had to put up a payment source in order to proceed, but what happened after that was not a result of the buyer requirements.  There was no more auto-billing, and no more instant payments for sellers that kept the YES designation and accepted a buyer's offer.   

I think we might not be on the same page.

She sent me an ebay message that said "I want this one" and I "replied with offer" with my price, and she got that screen (on her phone I presume).

Then she emailed me to share the screenshot and explain the offer I sent her required her to check out right away.

If that doesn't clear it up, than I'm afraid I don't understand what's going on. I did read some of the other threads about this, but without trouble shooting it myself, I'm a bit lost.

C.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

@sin-n-dex wrote:

What is the POINT of having an option to require payment on acceptance of an offer if eBay is going to FORCE that on my buyers when I didn't even enable that in my settings? The aforementioned buyer (in the screen shot above) has been able to accept some offers, but on that particular day she couldn't.

I'm a little lost as to your point here, because the message shown in that screenshot is the one that a prospective buyer will receive if you do not have the pre-payment requirement set, as you said.

It's telling the buyer that they will need to make their payment before anyone else does, because you have accepted their offer but they did not provide payment info. It's not forcing a required prepayment method at all. Thus it will stay on the market until either they pay or someone else comes along and buys it.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Then she emailed me to share the screenshot and explain the offer I sent her required her to check out right away.

@sin-n-dex 

Sometimes the buyer gets a normal one with an accept button, sometimes not.  I know exactly what you are talking abut.  It is not related to your buyer requirements settings which version appears to the buyer.  I think in the second link  I gave you in message # 3, the OP insists that the application was random as to what happened to buyer generated offers. Some were accepted by the buyer and went into awaiting payment, others did not (likely they went into "morph" mode and changed into YOU MADE AN OFFER.  Buyers got no notice their offers were accepted. 

So some require the buyer to check out, others do not, and nobody knows why.  It has been very difficult collecting evidence from people new to the discussion boards that seemingly think the posters are making this all up because "it never worked that way in the past".  My favorite was the accusation that I worked for eBay....LOL.... 

...sellergeneratedoffer.jpgoffer2.jpg  

These are two different offers I received from two different sellers.  These were items in my watch list.  Note the first one has no accept offer button. The second one does.   The second one I accepted (and paid for) mostly because I wanted the screen shots.   

Though I know the first seller DOES retain the buyer requirements, YOU DO NOT so it wasn't the buyer requirements that are the tell here.   The second seller, I don't know since they don't use auctions or best offer feature at all.  (My IDs are in the "too many other people had NPBs so I have to suffer payment camp" so for me it is a quick check. 

So I would assume if YOU send your buyers an offer or respond to a message with an offer, nobody can predict which one your buyer may receive at this point.  I have gotten more as well, and even some that display check out or decline just like yours from sellers that DO NOT retain the default to YES settings. 

In the screen the first screen shot with no accept button, that listing will remain live until somebody comes by and pays.  

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@sin-n-dex wrote:

I'm a little lost as to your point here, because the message shown in that screenshot is the one that a prospective buyer will receive if you do not have the pre-payment requirement set, as you said.

It's telling the buyer that they will need to make their payment before anyone else does, because you have accepted their offer but they did not provide payment info. It's not forcing a required prepayment method at all. Thus it will stay on the market until either they pay or someone else comes along and buys it.

She didn't make an offer for me to accept, I sent the offer to her. She says she can accept the offers and let them pile up and then request an invoice (or wait for me to invoice). In this case she had to pay for her items one at a time on this particular day, when usual she accepts the offers I send and then I send her a combined shipping invoice.

C.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

@downunder-61 

Is this "offer" craziness going on in AU?  Just curious. 

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

In this case she had to pay for her items one at a time on this particular day, when usual she accepts the offers I send and then I send her a combined shipping invoice.

@sin-n-dex 

When you send offers, it is apparent that you have no control over which screen will be presented to your buyer.  It is not a function of your Buyer Requirement settings.  Some buyers have said that when they got more than one offer from the same seller, some items required Check Out (pay or don't) while others had the accept feature and could be combined.   

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

In this case she had to pay for her items one at a time on this particular day, when usual she accepts the offers I send and then I send her a combined shipping invoice.

@sin-n-dex 

When you send offers, it is apparent that you have no control over which screen will be presented to your buyer.  It is not a function of your Buyer Requirement settings.  Some buyers have said that when they got more than one offer from the same seller, some items required Check Out (pay or don't) while others had the accept feature and could be combined.   

I did understand your previous explanation with screen shots, thanks for sharing that.

I had a buyer tonight watching some banknotes. I started sending offers, then all of a sudden the items were not eligible for offers (she accepted the ones I sent and asked about me sending more, but I couldn't... I assumed it was a buyer who turned off their setting to accept offers because I was sending several).

She had to check out and pay for 5 of her items individually, and the other 7 she was able to accept and get a combined shipping invoice for.

So what you say makes sense.

C.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

It's telling the buyer that they will need to make their payment before anyone else does, because you have accepted their offer

@a_c_green 

The op DID NOT ACCEPT an offer.  The OP generated the offer, and that was the screen presented to her buyer via a respond with offer in the eBay message flow.  The offer was sent to this buyer only (the form lied).   If you look at my screens upthread I got one of each kind, and continue to do so since posting those on another thread.  These also were SELLER GENERATED offers.  I have never provided a "pre payment source" at all ever.   So why the different screens?  

If I get more "offers" tomorrow I will screen shot them for more discussion. 

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Man, they've really made this a hot mess.

I haven't had any offers recently to try anything out on.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 14 of 24
latest reply

She had to check out and pay for 5 of her items individually, and the other 7 she was able to accept and get a combined shipping invoice for.

@sin-n-dex 

Thanks for the info.!!!!!!  

Message 15 of 24
latest reply