cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I do not sell Internationally

Can someone explain why I am being charge a fee because a buyer lives and has a register address in China, but a ship-to address in the United States?  Can they chargeback? Should this order be cancelled?  

1700495348816.jpg

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

It tells you right there where you indicated with parentheses. International fee is charged because the buyers registered address is China. 
I wouldn’t cancel there nothin wrong with an international buyer using a US based freight forwarder to buy from sellers who don’t ship internationally. You would be shipping to the freight forwarder. 
The buyer on the other hand loses MBG coverage for using a freight forwarder.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Customer could be using a "freight forwarder" to ship to China.  I never had any problem shipping to freight forwarders.

Any customer can "reverse credit card payment" but usually scammers go for "high value items".    If you cancel their order...customer will be mad and leave you negative feedback.   

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Usually there is no problem with a freight forward purchased. I have had a few. Usually the buyer does email they haven't receive their item yet because it is going a rather long distance. But you are only liable for the address where it is going and not to China.

I would check the buyer's feedback and how long they have been a member of eBay...to make any decisions on shipping. Anyone can do a chargeback from a credit card in good standing of course.

If the buyer made a lot of purchases with jewelry and such and has been around a while I would say it is OK to mail out.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Why are you being charged a fee?-because it's in the ebay policies:

If you're not using eBay International Shipping to ship your item, we charge an international fee if either:

• The delivery address for the item (entered by the buyer during checkout) is outside the US, or
  • The buyer's registered address is outside the US (regardless of the delivery address for the item)

This fee is calculated as 1.65% of the total amount of the sale and is automatically deducted from your sales.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@snoopdad40That charge is usually for a currency conversion fee. There is no way to tell where the payment will originate from or a way to block buyers using a registered from of payment outside the USA.

We have had buyers with a b&m business here in the USA and ship to that USA address, and we get charged because the parent company (who bought the USA company) is based in England. As others said, using a freight forwarder is not a bad thing. We actually suggest that our buyers use reputable freight forwarders as we stopped using the ebay international shipping.

BTW, personal credit cards can also charge a currency conversion fee. As a buyer, I have been charged a currency fee when in Europe. Not by the seller, but by my credit card bank.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@snoopdad40 wrote:

Can they chargeback? 

Can someone explain why I am being charge a fee because a buyer lives and has a register address in China, but a ship-to address in the United States?

Because that is how eBay chose to set up their fee schedule. 

Can they chargeback?

I believe anyone can do a chargeback. 

Should this order be cancelled?  

Not unless you want an to either (a) get an Out of Stock defect, or (b) violate eBay policy by cancelling for the wrong reason. 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

cstpos responds incorrectly to OP (snoopdad40):  "That charge is usually for a currency conversion fee. There is no way to tell where the payment will originate from or a way to block buyers using a registered from of payment outside the USA."

eBay's International Fee is not a currency conversion fee. 
eBay's International Fee has nothing to do with the bank or nation affiliation of any credit or debit card.  

Please see the response from murph1727 immediately previous to the one from cstpos.  Murph quotes eBay's User Agreement, and I'll repeat it here:

"If you're not using eBay International Shipping to ship your item, we charge an international fee if either:

• The delivery address for the item (entered by the buyer during checkout) is outside the US, or
  • The buyer's registered address is outside the US (regardless of the delivery address for the item)

This fee is calculated as 1.65% of the total amount of the sale and is automatically deducted from your sales."

Read it again, very carefully.  Neither word "currency" nor "conversion" are in that provision of eBay's User Agreement.  Addresses are the determining factors in when eBay will apply its International Fee, both the buyer's registered address and the delivery address.  

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Basically the same fee we were charged by PayPal back in the days before MP.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@snoopdad40 

I'd think you'd be happy to make a $200+ sale. Is the $3.34 fee so much that you'll cancel the sale, ding your account, risk a negative feedback and possibly limit (or disallow) your ability to sell on ebay? 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Others have already provided some good responses and explanations but it has all been focused on the use of a FF which is not uncommon. It could also be, given the time of year, that an individual in China is sending gifts or items to friends and family in the US. It is also possible that the buyer in fact lives or is currently in the US and simply has an eBay account where their registered address is China. 

The same would apply with regards to the international fee for US buyers that are stationed overseas or sending items to friends or family overseas but their eBay account has a registered US address. The exception to that would be if the item was shipped through the EIS program which waves the international fee. 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

All correct, and good info for future readers😁

In this instance (per OP's other thread) seems that this one is a FF situation.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

All correct, and good info for future readers

In this instance (per OP's other thread) seems that this one is a FF situation.

I read and commented on the OP's other post but I was never able to tell, either in that post or this one ,that it was going to a FF. I never saw the US shipping address either that or I missed it. 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

True, that is why I said "seems". 😂

Not arguing/not disagreeing.

Agree the OP never posted otherwise for what the address was in that other thread, but with no info stating otherwise.......... it sure "seems" to point to a FF situation 😂

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

A very brief search will bring up plenty of chat about this.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 15 of 15
latest reply