cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to handle improperly categorized return request?

I sold a 1994-96 Cadillac Deville turn signal lens. Item delivered 10/25, buyer opens return today under does not match description or photos and types that it does not fit his 1995 Cadillac hearse. The Hearse he mentions is a Fleetwood model Cadillac, not a Deville and those signal lenses are 2.5x the cost of what he bought. I am getting sick of the buyer quality Ebay has attracted lately. Any advice? Normally when they pick a does not fit category, I can and do decline the returns, but don't have the option. I have done nothing wrong here. Buyer joined on 10/25 this year and I sent a message stating that the item was as shown and described and that he miscategorized the return reason and also that the photo he uploaded (a completely other vehicle from many decades ago) did not help substantiate the return and asked if he meant to order/needed a Fleetwood turn signal. I am considering letting this return fizzle out and hope he may be too new to ask Ebay to step in. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

What I would do is accept the return and provide a shipping label.

When it's returned, refund the buyer then relist.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Selling in eBay involves the following

1) Buyer is always right

2) Seller is always wrong

3) Never sell anything you can't afford to lose

4) When in doubt, go back to # 1

Accept the return, issue the label, and refund upon receipt. It doesn't matter how accurate your description was and how wrong the buyer is, eBay is not going to get involved in deciding this. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Thanks, obviously not an answer I was looking for. I have the option to do that. It pretty much means the buyer has a blank check on a shipping label to use whatever size box they want to return the item. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I have til November 2nd, so I'll wait til then to do it. I do not want to burden the buyer with having to ship back an item when he could be out trick or treating... although Ebay seems to provide a generous 3 weeks to ship an item back. As a seller... obviously we don't get that long. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Just be careful, the buyer may be new but that can work against you.

If he can't figure out how to work the MBG, you don't want him jumping straight to a chargeback, that seems to be flavor of the month ATM.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 6 of 6
latest reply