cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How should I take this? lol

I just saw one of my listing photos on another sellers listing? Should I be mad or flattered? lol

Is there an implied copyright on pictures? 

Thanks all. I'm not bent out of shape over it. I just think it's pure laziness on other sellers part.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

What should I do if my image, video or text is being used by another seller?

When you create listings you give eBay and its customers permission, through our User Agreement, to use your images, videos and product details. Your content may be added to the eBay product catalog, and may be used by other sellers in their eBay listings.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Ebay now allows people to do that.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I once had another seller use my entire listing, not just the pics. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

What should I do if my image, video or text is being used by another seller?

When you create listings you give eBay and its customers permission, through our User Agreement, to use your images, videos and product details. Your content may be added to the eBay product catalog, and may be used by other sellers in their eBay listings.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I saw that once with some of my photos. I just wrote to that seller and told them that it's not cool to use someone else's pictures.

Besides, what if the person buying "said item" see something other than what the pictures show !?!?!?!? Then you've got a NAD case.  Not cool !!

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

But does that suggest only that the image etc can be used if it is added to the ebay catalogue?

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I think that may have been the original intention, but that does not seem to be how it is going. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

But does that suggest only that the image etc can be used if it is added to the ebay catalogue?

That's the way I've always seen it. After all it would be daft to have pictures of somebodies used items in the wondrous catalogue. Or any copyrighted manufacturers pictures.

The bottom line is that eBay can't be bothered doing a lot of things that they once did. Especially if it saves them money.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@chindoun You should be flattered!! Turn it into a joke and think to yourself- 'I take such awesome photos that strangers copy them to use for their own listings. I am the best ever!!' LOL, why not laugh it off. Best of luck to you.... 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Thanks everyone for your comments. I didn't know an ebay catalog existed. lol How do I find it? 

Thank you all again.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

May I ask what the item is, and are we talking new or used?  

I can't think of any harm done to the person whose images get used by others, but it definitely can be a problem for buyers.  Case in point: I use Seresto flea collars, which are very expensive at retail but you can find people selling them here for considerably less, like maybe they lost their pet but still have unopened collars, or I suppose pet store customers/employees who stole them to resell, wouldn't surprise me.  But the problem is, these are popular and valuable enough that there are Chinese fakes, which don't work at all and allegedly may even be harmful.  And twice out of the 5 or 6 times I've bought them here, they were fake.  The first time was the very first time I bought one here and didn't even know there were fakes so I just bought the lowest-priced one.  After that I learned to look for listings that aren't suspiciously cheap, have good seller feedback, and most importantly: have SELF-TAKEN photos, not stock images.  But this one I bought not too long ago DID have all those criteria including front and back photos of the package on a towel ... but what arrived was an El Fake-o, didn't even look like the packaging in the photo.  So that was obviously a "borrowed" image chosen specifically to deceive. 

Another case scenario: I bought a popular designer vintage jewelry piece (to resell because I knew I could make a nice profit over this seller's price), but the one that arrived had cosmetic flaws that the one in the photos did not.  The seller was actually very sorry and honest about it, admitted she used another seller's photos because she didn't know how to upload images from her camera. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply