cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much will the seller refund?

The screenshot shows the details of the transaction. How much is the full refund of this item? There were tax, shipping and transaction fees involved. If the seller refunds the full amount paid by the buyer, the seller is losing money on this transaction. Am I looking at this correctly?

IMG_2279.jpeg

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

you are correct - if the seller refunds they lose money.

taxes are refunded by eBay.

IF the seller refunds without eBay having to step in, the seller will get the FVF refunded.

Some fees are not refundable...

BUT the seller will still lose all the shipping paid 

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Some of it depends on the reason for the refund.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

So, a full refund would be the amount the item sold for at the end of the auction? This amount would be $293.00 in this case.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

The buyer states that the item does not function correctly. I thoroughly tested the item prior to shipment and it worked correctly.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

If it is Not As Described -

You will need to fully refund what the buyer paid.

Item and Shipping.

eBay will refund the tax.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@jacreekmore wrote:

The buyer states that the item does not function correctly. I thoroughly tested the item prior to shipment and it worked correctly.

Does not matter what a seller thinks about an item if the buyer files a return case with an Item Not As Described return reason.

Buyer wins. 

Posting ID
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

The buyer states that the item does not function correctly.

And that is the crux of it.  If they claim it isn't working, it isn't.  Even if you had tested it before hand.

I found this out over a year ago.  I sold a tablet that I had tested and had it marked as no returns. They got it, and found the charging jack had issues.  I had them send it back, I paid for the shipping and refunded in full.  I later relisted it as parts only and described as working but having issues and sold it for nearly as much as the first listing.

But complaining about it won't help you.  Shipping could have hurt it, they could be lying. But they can send the item back for a refund.

You are far better off to just take care of it then fight it.  Fighting it will only hurt you, not them.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Ebay refunds the tax. 

INAD Item broken  Return Refund after getting the item back 

-293.00 Item Price 

-51.26 Outgoing Shipping Charged to Buyer. You have to refund that no buts

- 44.47 Seller paysRETURN shipping label assuming the return shipping cost is the same as outgoing shipping 

+49.55 Ebay fees which are credited and refunded back to you. 

Total Refund -339.18. Remember you earned  +250.24 from the order and -339.18 is deducted for the the refund so you are -88.94 worse off than had not not listed and sold the item. 

If you do nothin and let Ebay Step in on your behalf you WILL NOT get the item back  

-293.00 Item Price 

-51.26 Outgoing Shipping Charged to Buyer. You have to refund that no buts

- 0.00 RETURN shipping label since you are not getting the item back. 

+0.00 Ebay fees which ARE NOT credited and refunded back to you. 

Total Refund -344.46. Remember you earned  +250.24 from the order and -344.46 is deducted for the the refund so you are -94.22 worse off than had not not listed and sold the item AND you loose your item AND get a strike on your account. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@jacreekmore wrote:

Hi @jacreekmore 

Even though tested prior to shipping, there are no guarantees that it arrived still in working order. Things happen in transit, even to items well packaged. Could be user error, too.

I find most buyers are honest, and therefore i give them the benefit of the doubt on returns. Fewer issues that way, better buyer-seller relations.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply