cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is the international fee legal?

Yes I know in their help section of seller fees they identify seller pays a international fee for ppl registered outside the US but have a domestic address... I have serious questions regarding the contradictory legality of this policy. 

1) when we sell we choose domestic only. That means to US customers for me. 

2) we have no control of who buys our products beyond that. Nor do we have anyway to have ppl registered outside of the US from buying our goods.

3) only to find out after item paid that the buyer was registered outside of the US and lose and additonal % of our margins. 

Why is the buyer not charged instead when they are the ones circumventing the system by having a domestic address? Why shldnt saying domestic buyers only mean that, period, end of story? Feels their policy has a lot of legal weakness. 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

You will also be charged the international fee when an American buyer with an American addresses uses a foreign credit card.

It is all in the user agreement, so there is no legal issues there.

There are 1000 other things you can do to increase your profitability and reduce your costs than worrying about this fee.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Join the Ebay International program and ebay will pick up this fee.  Anyway, like the others posted, it's perfectly legal.    When you lose money on an item because of these fees, you add that amount to your next listing somewhere.    This is what big stores do.  All fees are paid by  the buyers.   Fees go up, stores raise the prices somewhere , either in the starting price or in the shippng.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@kmtrader4autismawareness wrote:

Yes I know in their help section of seller fees they identify seller pays a international fee for ppl registered outside the US but have a domestic address... I have serious questions regarding the contradictory legality of this policy. 

1) when we sell we choose domestic only. That means to US customers for me. 

2) we have no control of who buys our products beyond that. Nor do we have anyway to have ppl registered outside of the US from buying our goods.

3) only to find out after item paid that the buyer was registered outside of the US and lose and additonal % of our margins. 

Why is the buyer not charged instead when they are the ones circumventing the system by having a domestic address? Why shldnt saying domestic buyers only mean that, period, end of story? Feels their policy has a lot of legal weakness. 

1 - On eBay you can only choose to not SHIP outside the US, there is no choice to not ship to a buyer based on their country of permanent residence or their citizenship

2 - Correct, you have no control, accept that as a reality that you cannot change

3 - Looking at your current listings I doubt the International surcharge it having a significant impact on your margins

3a - It is against the rules of Visa, MasterCard and Amex to add a surcharge to buyers for ANY reason.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

3a - It is against the rules of Visa, MasterCard and Amex to add a surcharge to buyers for ANY reason.

Love your posts...always have good, straight forward answers...

but, I would review this declaration. I believe this stipulation has changed over the years...

I can say with 90% certainty, that my B&M processing credit cards adds a "surcharge" to the subtotal....I am staring at a receipt as I type this...

The amount of the charge for the item to the customer is $432.00 (Base Amount No Tax)

IF they choose to pay with a credit card, the amount is 449.28 (a $17.28 'Service Charge' is itemized on the receipt for a total of $449.28 charged to the customers card.....

NOTE: This is NOT some fly by night CC Processor, it is a major company....

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Because I have yet to post my grades autos getting a feel for this system. Frankly amazed but you are right I cant control. I guess I can cancel a sale based on international registration.

Thanks Ms. Rodriguez I will look into that as well.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

How is the international fee illegal?

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Join the Ebay International program and ebay will pick up this fee.

Just to clarify, eBay will pay this fee if the seller and buyer choose to use EIS. If the buyer has the item sent to a freight forwarder in the US, the fee will still be charged.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Thanks you. Definitely getting more helpful input here than from ebay customer support lol.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Just eat the international fee, ship the item, and put the buyer on your BBL if you don't want to pay the international fee to them in the future.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

As well as ppl who need to express an opinion for attention only. 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Responses to a couple posts by different people:

I have serious questions regarding the contradictory legality of this policy. 

eBay's terms state that you can exclude international shipping addresses but not international buyers.  You either accept those terms, or you don't. 

Feels their policy has a lot of legal weakness.

If so, please cite the law you think it violates. 

It is not a credit card surcharge, because it would be charged no matter what form of payment the buyer uses. 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

A sale with an additional small fee is better than no sale. I will pay an additional $2 to have international buyers buy my items.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@kmtrader4autismawareness wrote:

Why shldnt saying domestic buyers only mean that, period, end of story? 

This is a global marketplace and eBay weighs pros and cons before implementing restrictions that limit buyers. In this case eBay decided against allowing that level of restriction in favor of more sales. I suppose that's more of a why doesn't it than a why shouldn't it answer.

Sellers either agree to abide by eBay's rules and sell here, or they don't agree to abide by eBay's rules and they sell elsewhere. For what it's worth, I do not agree with all of eBay's policies, however I do agree to abide by those rules as a seller on the platform.

eBay has a robust legal team that has no doubt reviewed every fee, so questioning the legality of a fee you agreed to isn't likely to get you anywhere. The argument here, to give it more legs, would be a plea for eBay to change seller preferences and add an option for sellers to block buyers with a registered address or payment source outside the US. Or, more simply, a plea to drop that fee entirely. Those requests may not get you anywhere either, but it will get you further asking eBay to change the policy than questioning the legality of it will. 🤷

In fact, eBay has heard so much outcry over the years on that 1.65% international fee, that eBay has eliminated that fee when items are shipped through the new eBay International Shipping program.

Sometimes it's the approach that determines the types of responses you get on this forum.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

You will also be charged the international fee when an American buyer with an American addresses uses a foreign credit card.

It is all in the user agreement, so there is no legal issues there.

There are 1000 other things you can do to increase your profitability and reduce your costs than worrying about this fee.

The international fee has NOTHING to do with the CC. EBay applies the international fee, unless you are using the EIS program, in one of the following two scenarios. 

• The delivery address for the item (entered by the buyer during checkout) is outside the US, or
  • The buyer's registered address is outside the US (regardless of the delivery address for the item)
Message 15 of 15
latest reply