cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I find local sellers?

My mother is 88 and wants to get rid of her "stuff." I'm not close enough geographically to be able to help her do it. I thought I remembered a few years ago seeing a directory of sellers who would photograph, list, and ship stuff for a commission. But now I can't seem to find that on the ebay site. Did I imagine that, or does it exist-- and where? Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I don't think that exists any longer.  I have never heard of it and I've been using this account to sell from for  about 2.5 years.

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Alas, the eBay trading assistant program doesn't exist any more.

There are easier ways to downsize, there are even experts and organizations specifically to help seniors with downsizing their stuff.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Ebay has a program called Ebay Valet. Here's the link to more info:

http://www.ebay.com/s/valet

Basically, you send in your items and they list it and split the procedes with you. But they only take certain things, and they set the prices. (I have heard of items being under-valued so check out the reviews carefully before you commit to see if it's suited to your needs.)

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

It would actually be much easier to hire someone to do an estate sale and be done with it. On Ebay many of the items may not even sale and whoever took on such a project would not want to waste their time listing them. The Ebay valet program is really not the way to go unless you want pennies on the dollar or have high in demand high dollar items. They will only accept items that are worthy of getting buyers. The cost of shipping those items and the prices at which they sell would most likely not be worth the trouble.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

ebay has implemented a few localized ebay seller programs over the years and then stop giving them support if they are not hugely successful for ebay. 

OP, check local antique shops, many in my area have people or dealers that will sell on consignment.

BUT, I sell on consignment for people and it is a long and time consuming process and as was noted, not everything will sell.  It could take years to list and sell even a third of even a small estate.  Them you will have to pay fees to the person that is doing it for you, I take half, and ebay has fees and paypal has fees, so you may have an item that sells on ebay for $100, but after fees, you might clear $35 profit.  And for every one item worth $100 - there will be 500 others that will be lucky to sell for $5 if that.

Most dealers that offer to sell on ebay for you will go in, take a look around and pick out the best items and eventually offer you pennies on the dollar.  This leaves you with the dregs that no one down the line will want to touch and will get you very little.

What you need is a good estate planner/dealer/auctioneer.  There are plenty that are more than willing to do the work for you.  They will come and lay out what they will do and what they will charge to do it.

(*Bleep*)
Message 6 of 6
latest reply