cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I cancel a buyers bid?

How do I cancel a buyer's bid.

It is too late for the buyer to retract it on their end? Auction ending soon.

We have agreed that he can cancel or retract it but he can't do it.

how do we do it please

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I would suggest telling him to just sit tight and let himself get outbid. If he doesn't, and wins anyway, you can just do a cancellation later (selecting "Buyer changed mind" as the reason, which is true), and send a Second Chance Offer to the next bidder in line for almost as much money, less one bidding increment. 

If you start cancelling bids now, other bidders in the auction may start to wonder what the heck is going on, pull out their bids as well, and your auction will basically collapse like a house of cards. I recommend staying the course and waiting to see how it ends. 

One other suggestion: don't run concurrent auctions for the same thing, or you end up competing against yourself. For example, you've got four different listings for the same F-L2012 gate. Running one at a time would cut down on the clutter. (It may or may not also be a policy violation as well; I'm not sure if that's enforced [anymore].)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I would suggest telling him to just sit tight and let himself get outbid. If he doesn't, and wins anyway, you can just do a cancellation later (selecting "Buyer changed mind" as the reason, which is true), and send a Second Chance Offer to the next bidder in line for almost as much money, less one bidding increment. 

If you start cancelling bids now, other bidders in the auction may start to wonder what the heck is going on, pull out their bids as well, and your auction will basically collapse like a house of cards. I recommend staying the course and waiting to see how it ends. 

One other suggestion: don't run concurrent auctions for the same thing, or you end up competing against yourself. For example, you've got four different listings for the same F-L2012 gate. Running one at a time would cut down on the clutter. (It may or may not also be a policy violation as well; I'm not sure if that's enforced [anymore].)

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I'm new to selling and expressed in the description of the item about selling/ shipping only to the continental US. I later found how to block international and US territories and have done that. I've e-mailed two bidders, one in Italy and one in China. The Chinese buyer has not answered. I believe the block of her country will prevent further bids but she currently is the highest bidder.
If I cannot get her to retract it , do I just tell her her bid will not be valid or I cancel it if I can figure out how? Thank you.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Your bidders who are registered outside the US might have US mailing addresses.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

If it's close, just let it end, and cancel using by buyer request so you don't get a defect.  

Keep that message from the buyer.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I've sent the bidder from China two messages through eBay messaging and no response. The Italian indicated she understood and pretty much that was the end of that. I'm not sure what to do as the last day is tomorrow. There were other bidders earlier on.
I don't have a reserve on this but I think the bidding from those outside of the legitimate area may have thrown off the others. Am I allowed to remove or cancel those bids and extend the selling period? I'm just not sure how to proceed. Thank you for your help.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply