cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey eBay......Where is my refund?

So.......2 months ago I sell an item and the customer wants to return it and clicks "Not as described,defective" and the return is forced upon me to accept and pay shipping (customer ordered item that did not fit their device) I was told by ebay more or less TOO BAD, the customer used that return selection. I did have the customer agree to pay shipping both ways and I would accept the return...Long story short....the customer was issued a FULL refund by eBay and the case was closed. I don't know how many calls I made to customer service to resolve but over 3 weeks ago at least 3 times now I was told the $38.10 shipping fees would be refunded to me. STILL WAITING. If that is how they want to play.....well, Sorry other sellers but I pretty much have stopped buying from the site and just now pretty much just sell and take my money and run. If someone at eBay reads this, look at my account... 21 years, 100% feedback. When I have wronged a customer in error I have just let them keep the item and refund through Pay Pal but in this case the customer abused the return process, eBay saw the exchanges of messages, promised I would receive the $38.10 refund and has not delivered on ebay's promise....Hey eBay....This is NOT how you should treat YOUR CUSTOMERS!   Sorry to vent....Carry on.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I doubt you will ever see anything from e bay.  Have you messaged the customer and asked them to refund the monies?

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@jscar59 

Sorry this happened to you.

Someone at eBay provided you with incorrect information. (get your shipping back)

If a return was done through eBay, as other than a "remorse", then the buyer is refunded in full. This happens even in your case where it was clearly a buyer error (remorse), but the return was not opened as such.

Had the buyer just shipped it back to you directly without a return being opened, a partial refund (initial shipping deducted) could have been done.  I have done that with customers before.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

When you  get a return case it is never a good idea to contact  eBay.  As they say you don't fight  city  hall..  You should  have simply advised the buyer for refund adn send them a return label..

FYI while you have been an eBay member since  '98 your FB rating is only for the last  12 month period.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

But when I called ebay about the customer opening the return by selecting the wrong option I was told to send the customer an electronic return label for them to print. The problem I have with this is I was told what to do by Customer service call center (From where?) And then promised I would receive the refund by customer service in subsequent calls.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Like that would happen!

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

e has a new Feedback profile page - maybe they aren't going to show more than a years worth of feedback or he has multiple IDs he's used and has only recently started to sell on this one. If I close my store - I'll be using the 50 free only on my 4 accts - one a buying only acct and one a posting acct.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Have you checked your Ebay invoice to see if they posted a credit.  If you are expecting actual cash through PP, that isn't how they do these things typically.  So take a look at your invoice for the last couple of months or since they told you that you'd receive a refund and see if it is there.

tyler@ebay 

brian@ebay 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Customer service will say anything to get off the call. As a longtime seller, you need to know the policies that govern the site. Even in cases of user error, the refund process follows the terms laid out in the Money Back Guarantee. The buyer nearly always prevails.

Then, if there are extenuating circumstances such as you experienced, you have 30 days to appeal the decision. The outcome of that would have been to reimburse your shipping cost, at least. The appeal is where things are made right for the seller if the buyer was abusing the process. You submit your documentation proving your case and there is a ruling.

Unfortunately, you did not have the information you needed to solve your issue. That is both your responsibility and Customer Service who advised you incorrectly.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

The credit for shipping was not issued through eBay invoice.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

"Unfortunately, you did not have the information you needed to solve your issue. That is both your responsibility and Customer Service who advised you incorrectly." WRONG! The customer clearly stated in messages through eBay that he/she would pay shipping both ways. What more would they need? To this day I have not seen the refund.....and for the most part have only bought shipping supplies on this site.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

@jscar59 wrote:

So.......2 months ago I sell an item and the customer wants to return it and clicks "Not as described,defective" and the return is forced upon me to accept and pay shipping (customer ordered item that did not fit their device) I was told by ebay more or less TOO BAD, the customer used that return selection. I did have the customer agree to pay shipping both ways and I would accept the return...Long story short....the customer was issued a FULL refund by eBay and the case was closed. I don't know how many calls I made to customer service to resolve but over 3 weeks ago at least 3 times now I was told the $38.10 shipping fees would be refunded to me. STILL WAITING. If that is how they want to play.....well, Sorry other sellers but I pretty much have stopped buying from the site and just now pretty much just sell and take my money and run. If someone at eBay reads this, look at my account... 21 years, 100% feedback. When I have wronged a customer in error I have just let them keep the item and refund through Pay Pal but in this case the customer abused the return process, eBay saw the exchanges of messages, promised I would receive the $38.10 refund and has not delivered on ebay's promise....Hey eBay....This is NOT how you should treat YOUR CUSTOMERS!   Sorry to vent....Carry on.

Hi @jscar59, I've reviewed this case and found that Custer Service did issue you a partial refund in early November to cover the cost of return shipping. This was sent directly to your PayPal account. I'll send you an email with the PayPal transaction ID so you can more easily look it up. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@jscar59 wrote:

It isn't automatic.  You have to report the buyer for abuse of the return system to get the credit.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@jscar59 wrote:

It isn't automatic.  You have to report the buyer for abuse of the return system to get the credit.

Whoops I responded before seeing the post by Brian.  Good to know you were refunded.  I'm sure you feel better too.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Thank you, I did go to my account and see the transaction now. Thank you. It would have been nice to have received an email as to the transaction at time of post. I received the final selling fee reversal through my ebay account and was watching for it there. There is a notation in Pay Pal that the is a dispute attached, I will have to check with Pay Pal about that.  So in the end ....I eat crow, However ...it was a bad experience where I learned a lesson. That is from what I understand is.....If a customer  abuses the return process, use the report customer.  I could have waited for the return item to arrive and just issued a partial refund (minus shipping) through Pay Pal.   

Message 15 of 16
latest reply