cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having problems cancelling a transaction

Buyer emailed and wanted to cancel transaction after item was paid for. I gave her some information how to do it. She chose to ask to do a "return" even though item had not shipped. I denied her request since it is not a return. I do not see "cancel transaction" as an option in the drop down menu. What next?

Also, I thought that if she requested a cancellation that I would get  a message  from ebay  just like I did when she asked to do a return. Did she miss a step or am I confused?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

@monty1964 

You should be able to cancel the order as buyer requested.

When a buyer request to have an order canceled, the seller has to do, the buyer can't.

Even though the item hadn't been shipped, when they filed for a return, all you had to was accept the return, then refund without them returning the item.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

I can't seem to find an option to cancel the transaction anywhere.  When buyer chose the return option it generated a message in which I was able to deny it because technically it was not a return.  Why would the ebay system even let here request a return when the item had not even shipped??  Should I ask her to try again? If she tries again and has the option to request a cancellation will it generate a message like it did for a return in which I can approve or deny?  Or is simply asking me via messaging enough that I can do the cancellation? And if so where is the option to cancel?

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@monty1964 wrote:

Or is simply asking me via messaging enough that I can do the cancellation?

Yes, that's enough to cancel the order and use buyer requested.

Since they already opened a case on Ebay, they won't be able to open another one.

Go to your orders waiting to be shipped, click the little arrow next to the item and open the drop down menu, there should be a link to cancel there.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Buyer emailed and wanted to cancel transaction after item was paid for. I gave her some information how to do it.

@monty1964 

You are confused. The seller is the only party that can cancel an order, a buyer can only request  cancellation.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Not confused. Buyer requested to cancel. I know I have to do my part on my end.  I gave her info on how to start the process which is requesting to cancel, contacting me and by choosing to do a "return" instead of a cancellation she has really messed it up --- I denied the return because it was not a return as item had not shipped.  Now there is no option to cancel on the drop down menu. 

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Nope. Not an option in the drop down menu to cancel.  Maybe she can try on her end again and go with cancel?

Again, absolutely assinine that ebay would let her request to do a return when item has not even shipped.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@monty1964 wrote:

Not confused. she has really messed it up --- I denied the return

It sounds more like you really messed it up. You denied the return so that is the problem.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Only SELLER can start CANCELLATION REQUEST (put reason "buyer requested cancellation").   And remind BUYER that they must CONFIRM the cancellation.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

It was not a return since item had not shipped. That is why I denied it. Does ebay call a return and a cancellation the same thing now. When buyer triggered the return message from ebay it was talking about paying for return shipping. Again, she chose the wrong option unless she did not have an option for cancellation to begin with??

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@monty1964 wrote:

I gave her info on how to start the process which is requesting to cancel, contacting me and by choosing to do a "return" instead of a cancellation she has really messed it up

She didn't mess it up. Buyers can only submit a formal cancellation within an hour of their purchase. After that their only option is to send a message requesting a cancellation. It's up to you, the seller, to actually cancel it after the message is sent with a request. The buyer did that but you told her to open a formal request. If it was past the 1 hour window, then her only option was to submit a return request as she attempted to comply with your instructions.

As another poster said - all you had to do was accept the return at that point because you would have been given the option to refund without requiring a return, ultimately closing out and completing the transaction with a refund.

eBay allows buyers to request returns without tracking because not every seller uses tracking. Should those buyers be denied the ability to open a return request?

You might find the cancellation policy page helpful. (link)

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

I had a long reply to you and ebay says I am message spamming or something like that. I told her how to get the process started. She chose return instead of cancel. I denied it because technically it was not a return. I am now stuck with no option to cancel.  If she is fully refunded through Paypal will that clear everything up?

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@monty1964 wrote:

If she is fully refunded through Paypal will that clear everything up?

That can earn you a seller "out of stock" defect - although you should be able to appeal it using the buyer's message request for a cancellation.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Sorry, I am not understanding that first paragraph which seems to run in a circle. I received a short message from her stating that she wanted to cancel.  (((It apparently took more than an hour for it to click that after hitting the pay button she paid double what the item cost due to shipping and taxes. $80.00 total. ))))   I knew nothing about the one hour rule when I Googled and I found some instructions for her to follow to start the process.  So she did not have a Cancel option because more than an hour passed??   But she had to choose return which triggered a message from ebay because there was no cancel option??. I denied it because again, message is talking about who is paying for return shipping and more and I don't consider it a return.       THE POINT OF ALL OF THIS: Return was denied because I don't consider it a return, to me it is a cancellation,  I have no cancel option on my end,  and I have no idea how to move forward with this.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Used link you sent me.  Thank you.  Clicked on item I wanted to cancel.        This order has been successfully canceled or the buyer opened a cancellation request. For more information, select View cancel details.   

I click to see details and am told listing is removed or item is not available.  Next step, call or chat with customer service?   Thank you all, am turning in for the night.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply