cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grab Bag/Box Need Opinions

I work for a small shop and we have been selling on eBay for over a decade.  Lately business has been slow and being the YOuTube addict that I am, I've been watching a lot of videos of people that have purchased "Mystery Boxes" from eBay and other various websites.  I thought this would be a good way to move some of our undersold merchandise and have a bit of fun at the same time.  I am aware of eBay's policies concerning such listings.  I have made a rough draft of a listing to test the waters.  I was hoping that some of you might be able to review it for me to see if you think it falls within policy guidelines.  Of course, the items are listed at a fair price, as we plan to offer them at our cost with a best offer option.  Our goal is simply to make our cost back on these items (hopefully).

Nevertheless, here is a rough draft.
"What's Included?
(1) (Name of theme) lunchbox 
The box you purchase will include one each of the following:
(theme) metal lunchbox
(theme) Mopeez plush
(theme) Paperback novel
(theme) Pocket Pop Keychain
(theme) Bumber Sticker
(theme) Rare trading card

Each of the items you receive will be in Brand New or Very Good/Like New condition."

The photo will be of the meatl lunchbox and the items will be shipped contained within the lunchbox or tin.  Would this fall within the guidelines of eBay's policy?  Opinions?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

It is a SNAD waiting to happen.

You have to state exactly what is in your listing so the buyer will know exactly what he will get.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

It looks to me to meet eBay's current requirements for a Grab Bag listings.  However, that "rare" trading card is asking for trouble.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

You have to state exactly what is in your listing so the buyer will know exactly what he will get.

Not under the Policy du Jour:

• Identify all contents; the number, quality, or condition of each item doesn't need to be identified
  • Don't single out anything that "may" be included with significant monetary or collectible value
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

What do you mean by the reference to the "rare" trading card?  I am only asking.  The trading card included is a "Rare" card as opposed to a Common or uncommon card.  They are marked as Rare, Uncommon, Common, or One-Of-A Kind Art cards.  They come from boosters and card packs.  Should I just put, "Trading Card"?

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

That's why I am asking.  I appreciate your response.  So, instead of saying for example, if the Lunchbox is a Superman lunchbox, "Batman Vs Superman Mopeez Plush", I should actually state the character as well?  AS follows:
(theme) metal lunchbox
(theme) Mopeez "the character's name" plush
(theme) Paperback novel
(theme) Pocket Pop "character's name" Keychain
(theme) Bumber Sticker
(theme) Rare "character's name" trading card

Is that correct?

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@page3auc wrote:

What do you mean by the reference to the "rare" trading card?  I am only asking.  The trading card included is a "Rare" card as opposed to a Common or uncommon card.  They are marked as Rare, Uncommon, Common, or One-Of-A Kind Art cards.  They come from boosters and card packs.  Should I just put, "Trading Card"?

"Rare" seems to be a common point of contention, especially among novice buyers.  It seems to me that a random "rare" wouldn't increase the price of the package significantly, but would increase the risk of a Not As Described claim in which you'd end up paying for return shipping on the whole kit and kaboodle.

I'm curious why you'd list this as a Grab Bag rather than just a Lot?

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Honestly, I had only thought of listing it as a "Grab Box" just for a fun-factor; something different.  We can list it as a lot.  We've done that many times in the past.  I just thought it might be a bit of fun.  Of course, we could always simply sell the metal lunchboxes and the items separately but, I was hoping to find a a new way to market slow-selling items that people are still buying but, are no longer buying at full retail.  These are items that we've had for at least 8 months.  THey are nice things and not junk.  😕  That's why I put it here in the Forum.  I wanted to get some input and I do appreciate it!  🙂

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Honestly, I had only thought of listing it as a "Grab Box" just for a fun-factor;

Might be worth trying a few "for fun", and maybe a few as lots to see what happens.  Good luck...

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

THanks!  🙂

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Yeah.

If you list it, make sure the minimum price includes the cost of shipping and return shipping.

Sellers pay return shipping on Not As Described claims.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

To be blunt - you will get SNAD claims on almost, if not all, of them, pay shipping back and whatever the buyer really wanted will be missing from the return.  Your going to lose your shirt on this. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@page3auc wrote:

That's why I am asking.  I appreciate your response.  So, instead of saying for example, if the Lunchbox is a Superman lunchbox, "Batman Vs Superman Mopeez Plush", I should actually state the character as well?  AS follows:
(theme) metal lunchbox
(theme) Mopeez "the character's name" plush
(theme) Paperback novel
(theme) Pocket Pop "character's name" Keychain
(theme) Bumber Sticker
(theme) Rare "character's name" trading card

Is that correct?

Is it like Pokemon where the type of card was listed as "rare" "uncommon" "common" "energy".

If so either include one of each, and tell them which card game (and booster set) it came from, and why it's not RARE but 'rare' or simply leave off the word 'rare', and simply state "no common cards will be included".

I hate photobucket right now... PS Answers given years ago may or may not be current now, please check with current posters to the boards to see if the information is still relevant.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

So, we're probably better off selling these items in lots then.  I appreciate everyone's input.  I was so hoping to have a bit of a fun way to move these items but, I am thinking it's probably best we stick to our usual method of bundling our extra items together as a lot instead.  Barnacles.  

I really love the idea of this but, if we have to list the actual character names instead of simply the brand and type, it's not really a cool and fun surprise.  😕  

I think we have decided to go the route of lots.  I don't like the idea of charging extra shipping as a "Just in case" back up.  To me, that seems a bit underhanded in and of itself.  

Nevertheless, thanks for everyone's input.  I really do appreciate it!! ❤️

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

OP, you should look up some junk drawer listings.  Grab bag has a slightly negative tone.

They are exactly what you are describing.  Take a look at some of them.  You show pics of eveything, highlight the name brands, use no descriptive adjectives, slip in a little salt to get interest going and then start the auction low.

I have bought a couple junk drawers and have always been pleased.

(*Bleep*)
Message 15 of 15
latest reply