cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got ripped off on a return...conflicting info from ebay

I had a return request where the buyer bought headphones and felt that there we too tight, and then also complained about the price being much higher than what the manufactuer sells for 9I sold it for what ebay gets for it, so to be that's a non-issue).  He claimed that there were unused, but as far as I am concerned an item is used as soon as its opened.  I explained to him in accordance with ebay policy I will deduct a large amount from his refund for returning a used item which according to what the item condition policy says you can not do.  Explained to him the money back guarantee does not cover buyer remorse.  He somehow got the original return closed and opened up a case, and while it said the case doesn't effect my seller performance the only option is to give him a full refund which according to the policy he is not entitled to.

After complaining to ebay the rep tells me that they cover first time use and I can only take that deduction if the item arrives damaged or if they give me a different item.  What???  The policy specifically says the item must be unused and it the condition I sold it in.  There should be no grey area here.  If it has to be unused it has to be unused period.  As soon as a seal is broken, if it is a sealed item, it immediately becomes used.  The first time I used this policy the rep was in line with my position, but now this rep tells me something different.  The first rep even told me if they side with the buyer ebay is liable for that money, not me.  What is the truth here?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Most of the time the seller is a loser in this type case.  You may want to consider just taking your losses do the return, refund and block.  Thats just what we would do.  Understand it tough to take the loss.  Best regards

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

I agree with your position that the item now has diminished value, & you deserve to be compensated for the financial loss.

This case is simply buyer remorse, buyer feels they are too tight & can purchase it outside of ebay for less money, which should really be no surprise.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

My $0.02 is that I would not believe the c-s rep who told you that ebay would refund the buyer. Almost guranteed they'll force you to refund 100% of the buyer cost + shipping and if you make ebay it for you, a defect wil be icing on the cake. 

The MBG policy *in practice* as always allowed buyers to open the item to test or try on. It's a moot point now ayway, because as of earlier this year ebay no longer gets inolved in any SNAD dispute while it is in process. The seller can report the buyer, appeal afterwards & etc, but once the SNAD is opened and the item is returned there is nothing they will do before a refund is issued (by choice or forced).   

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@nfuchs You offer 30 day free returns. I’m not sure what the big deal is here? You have to take the return. And the customer service rep is right—since you offer free returns, if the item is returned used or damaged, you can issue a partial refund. If the buyer contests it, eBay is the one that foots the bill for the remainder of their refund and you are also protected from negative feedback.  And the buyer is allowed to open an item and test it out. There’s no need to get into with the buyer. You accept returns. You don’t need to educate him on the MBG. You just need to honor your return policy. He didn’t get the original return closed either. He asked eBay to step in. eBay uses funky terminology. Probably because of the exchange you had with him. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

@threshold.sales.group wrote:

My $0.02 is that I would not believe the c-s rep who told you that ebay would refund the buyer. Almost guranteed they'll force you to refund 100% of the buyer cost + shipping and if you make ebay it for you, a defect wil be icing on the cake. 

The MBG policy *in practice* as always allowed buyers to open the item to test or try on. It's a moot point now ayway, because as of earlier this year ebay no longer gets inolved in any SNAD dispute while it is in process. The seller can report the buyer, appeal afterwards & etc, but once the SNAD is opened and the item is returned there is nothing they will do before a refund is issued (by choice or forced).   

@threshold.sales.group The customer service rep was right. The OP offers 30 day free returns. He doesn’t have to refund in full if the item is returned used and eBay will cover the difference if the buyer fights it

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

This was not an SNAD  Simply buyer didn't like that I was going to take 50% of his money for returning a used item that was new.  After talking to someone in member to member appeals he told me I am absolutely right and the other agent was giving me wrong info and I am absolutely entitled to that deduction and I should call back when the item is returned and appeal it.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

I had no issue taking the return.  My issue was not being able to take the deduction I am entitled to take.  Lesson learned I guess.  Next time just take it, don't contact the buyer and let them know I'm taking it I guess.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@nfuchs wrote:

I had no issue taking the return.  My issue was not being able to take the deduction I am entitled to take.  Lesson learned I guess.  Next time just take it, don't contact the buyer and let them know I'm taking it I guess.

@nfuchs so did you already get the item back and issue a refund? It’s the 2nd rep that is wrong. The first one who told you that you can issue a partial refund is right. Even on a SNAD return. It’s in the spring 2018 seller update.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

No its in the process of being sent back to me.  As I said this was not a SNAD.  It was buyer's remorse.  Because of the case he opened the only option is a full refund.  The first rep, and the third told me if I get an item not in the same condition (as this will be, not new but now used, I can take 50% of the refund due to the diminished value of not getting it back in the same condition.  The 3rd rep told me to call in and appeal.  Its bad enough when I lose money over defective items that I have no control of since they are sold as new and sealed, but something like this if I have that option at my disposal why not use it to be compensated for the loss as I won't be able to sell it in the same condition or anywhere near the same price.  At least now I know better to not inform the buyer I am taking the deduction, I'll just take it.  I figured he could lose less money if he sold it himself and was trying to be helpful.  Not making that mistake again.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Ok thanks for the clarification. It’s now a SNAD return because he asked eBay to step in 😞

watch your dashboard you might get an unresolved by seller strike. I think that is why the rep told you to appeal when you get the item back. 

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handle-return-request-seller?id=4115&st=7...

That is the official policy for when you can deduct and when you can't.

Essentially, eBay has gone to a "rent-and-return" policy wherein the buyer can use an item in many categories for up to 30 days then return for a refund.  Great for the buyer, deal-breaking for the seller, not-an-issue for eBay since it doesn't sell diddly and so loses no money.

~M

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

If opening an item is to be considered using an item, how is a buyer supposed to make sure it even works? Many things have to be opened to ensure you don't have a lemon.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@nfuchs wrote:

Explained to him the money back guarantee does not cover buyer remorse.

If these were Sennheisers, you offered 30 day eBay returns.  When you offer eBay returns, that policy does cover buyer remorse as a valid reason for a return. And you are not allowed to "disclaim away" this policy by contradicting it elsewhere in your listing.  

You probably need to read up on the policy you agreed to when you offered eBay returns: 

"When you choose to accept returns, a buyer can return an item for any reason, including if they change their mind about a purchase."

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/selling-practices-policy?id=4346

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Even when you APPEAL and WIN....GUESS WHAT??????????????

THE &^*&^ (&^)*& )*&^*)&^*()&(  DO NOT REFUND you back what they PROMISED YOU ON THREE DIFFERENT PHONE CALLS THUS FAR!!!   AM I MAD????? &^(*& RIGHT I AM because there is seemingly NOTHING you can LEGALLY do to make them do what they said THEY WOULD DO!!

Message 15 of 21
latest reply