cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got A Strange Message This Morning

I received a message via eBay this morning.

The heading has, 

Request to cancel this order

This thing is, it was a $3,000 item that was purchased Nov 10th and delivered on Nov 14th.

I believe it's just an eBay message since there is nothing in the cancelation requests list.

It's well past the 30 day return window and how in the world would he expect me to cancel an order he received almost 2 months ago and has used.

He said he's having a problem with the unit. 

I was just wondering how I should respond. 

Was thinking to respond with,

"I'm sorry you are having a problem with your unit.

Unfortunately, I can't cancel since the order has already shipped and has been received & used.

It would now fall under the manufacture's warranty. 

I will have one of our techs contact you to see if there's something they can help you with over the phone".

Or something along those lines.

I don't want a credit card charge back either, even though it was delivered with signature upon delivery.

I have read where people lose the charge back when it's a defective product, then the buyer gets to keep the unit and gets his money back.

How would you handle this?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

A message like that is fine, or even just a simple, "Can you please tell me more about the problem you're having with the item?".  Probably just a confused person not understanding how to send the message they want via eBay correctly.  I assume with some good customer service you'll likely be able to avoid a major issue.  Good luck!

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

A dispute of a credit card charge is something no seller wants.

I won one last month but it wasn't easy.

It sounds like this is the way this might go.

You are "top rated"....which I think eBay covers you. Are I correct? Check into that.

Anyway, it's how the buyer does the dispute....buyer doesn't recognize the charge and that's all the buyer says. So, you end up dealing with the bank as far as giving documentation in the form of a photo in an open claim plus the tracking number on eBay. And you will need some sort of a photo to download in the documentation to process the open claim...otherwise it won't go through. I didn't have a photo of anything to download on my claim for the bank. I ended up sending a photo of a Christmas scene in the documentation to process my claim. I did win. It was my first experience contesting a dispute with the buyer's bank.

But it all depends how the buyer words the "dispute". Here's the catch : this buyer opened a dispute after 260 days with me...eBay has to allow it...this was my problem not having any form of documentation to download.

So, you can get a dispute anytime.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

That reads like someone who English is not their first language.  They could be using a Translator.  You are right, you cannot cancel an order that was delivered two months ago.  I suspect what they meant is that they wanted a refund because the item quit working.

When you say 

"Unfortunately, I can't cancel since the order has already shipped and has been received & used.

It would now fall under the manufacturer’s warranty."

You implied that you sold the product with a Manufacturer's Warranty. 

Are you an authorized retailer allowed by the manufacturer to sell their product and offer their warranty?  If you are then your advice would be appropriate.  

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@dentalsales4u I think your message is fine and a good way to handle this.

As for the strange heading, I've seen a few people elsewhere across social media talking about similar experiences when trying to contact a seller as a buyer.

It seems like what is happening is within the contact flow, there is a menu with different options for things the buyer might want to contact the seller about, where you have to click the little arrow to open up and read that section - and the reports I've seen say that even if it shows you this message saying it's too late to cancel, when you then hit the contact seller button at the bottom because you still have questions, it creates the message automatically with the header for Requesting to Cancel An Order because that's the last option they clicked in the menus.

2024-01-05_14-51-13.jpg

Not sure if that's what happened here for you but it may be possible the buyer was just trying to send you a message about the problem with the item and the heading about cancelling was automatically added in by eBay.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

The "return this item" link is no longer available to customer due to length of time.
SO, they chose what was available.
I'd ignore it.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

You made it sound like Ebay sent you the email.  It appears from what you said it was an email from a buyer in the Ebay system.  Which as you know they can create a title of the email to be anything they want.

Clearly your buyer is mistaken about the Ebay process.

Try to help your customer contact the manufacturer.  It may help them to feel better and not file a Chargeback.  Try working with them and hopefully it will help the situation.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for all the information.

I have contacted the buyer and told him one of our techs would be contacting them to go the set up to make sure it was done right. 

I would never ignore a buyer like this and I do like to give good customer service.  I do like all the repeat customers we have and I feel that's due to good customer service after the sale.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I would be right there with you on "contacting the buyer" to see what assistance could be provided.

You do not need to get a return on that item if the situation can be resolved.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

You made it sound like Ebay sent you the email.  It appears from what you said it was an email from a buyer in the Ebay system.  Which as you know they can create a title of the email to be anything they want.

Wellll... I had a problem with a purchase in my buying account, and I was clicking on the different Contact Seller topics to see which might be most appropriate. I finally just used the Send Seller a Message option (basically, just a question), but was surprised to see that when the seller's reply came in, its Subject line was "Re: Request to Cancel."

That is not what I intended for a Subject line, but it matches the first thing I had clicked on. It seems like the system plugged in the first topic you look at, but does not revise the Subject line if you end up going with a plain Question choice instead.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Wellll... I had a problem with a purchase in my buying account, and I was clicking on the different Contact Seller topics to see which might be most appropriate. I finally just used the Send Seller a Message option (basically, just a question), but was surprised to see that when the seller's reply came in, its Subject line was "Re: Request to Cancel."

That is not what I intended for a Subject line, but it matches the first thing I had clicked on. It seems like the system plugged in the first topic you look at, but does not revise the Subject line if you end up going with a plain Question choice instead.

@a_c_green that's pretty much exactly what I've seen stated in other reports - wasn't entirely clear to me if it was the first option or last option clicked on before just using the plain question choice, but either way, like you said it wasn't what you intended and I would hope not exactly what eBay intended either.

devon@ebay kyle@ebay elizabeth@ebay  are there any open tickets for this that you're aware of and if not, can you look into it and let us know if this is working as intended or a glitch please?

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@a_c_green wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@a_c_green that's pretty much exactly what I've seen stated in other reports - wasn't entirely clear to me if it was the first option or last option clicked on before just using the plain question choice, but either way, like you said it wasn't what you intended and I would hope not exactly what eBay intended either.

devon@ebay kyle@ebay elizabeth@ebay  are there any open tickets for this that you're aware of and if not, can you look into it and let us know if this is working as intended or a glitch please?

@xhpie0 is also having problems with this.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/Contact-seller-message-sent-with-automatic-quot-Request-to/m-p/...

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Your example reply is excellent.  Go with that, decline any return.  Its the manufacturers warranty issue now.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply