cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gideon Bibles

Perhaps you are not aware.
It is ILLEGAL to sell Gideon Bibles / Testaments. They are intended to be passed out free by Gideon members, which we do about 80 million times a year around the world, over 2 billion total at this point.
If you would like to have a Gideon Bible / Testament, contact a Gideon near you and they will give you one, free. I carry a case of them in my car just for that purpose.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Gideon Bibles

perhaps you may want to contact eBay with your concerns

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Gideon Bibles

@fredericparke-7 wrote:

It is ILLEGAL to sell Gideon Bibles / Testaments.

While it may be pointless to try selling an item that is being given away for free I seriously doubt that it is 'illegal'. Once you give the item away the recipient is free to do with it what he wishes unless perhaps there is some kind of End User License Agreement in effect when the item is presented. We know that is not the case for Gideon Bibles. I remember finding them in hotel rooms with an invitation to take the copy if desired.

@fredericparke-7 : If selling them is illegal please point us to the law being violated.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

Gideon Bibles

It is ILLEGAL to sell Gideon Bibles 

@fredericparke-7 

That is interesting.  I just did a quick search to find out about this, but could not find the law you mention.  Can you post a URL or reference to this.  Does each individual state/country have this law worldwide.  

Are the maker's for Gideon Bibles VERO members on eBay? 

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

Gideon Bibles

Your organization may intend for these bibles to passed out for free but it has no control over what the recipients of the bibles do with them after the fact.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

Gideon Bibles

You can't give something away for free and attach a lifetime prohibition on its use.

As a general rule, you can sell any legal item you obtained legally.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Gideon Bibles

They may be given for free if requested, but I don't believe there's a law prohibiting the sale. In fact, they are sold on Amazon too. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

Gideon Bibles

@fredericparke-7 wrote:

It is ILLEGAL to sell Gideon Bibles / Testaments. They are intended to be passed out free by Gideon members, which we do about 80 million times a year around the world, over 2 billion total at this point.
If you would like to have a Gideon Bible / Testament, contact a Gideon near you and they will give you one, free. I carry a case of them in my car just for that purpose.

Lol. Big claims about legality, with nothing to back that up. It may be immoral, but that has nothing to do with legality. 

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

Gideon Bibles

Rocky Raccoon checked into his room, only to find Gideon's Bible.  Rocky had come equipped with a gun to shoot off the legs of his rival.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Gideon Bibles

@fredericparke-7 

Would you please find the passage on Gideon's website that discloses the illegality of selling their bibles?

https://www.gideons.org/

albertabrightalberta

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

Gideon Bibles

@fredericparke-7 

"Perhaps you are not aware.
It is ILLEGAL to sell Gideon Bibles / Testaments."

Your are correct in that we were not aware it is illegal because it is not illegal. 

Posting ID
Message 11 of 27
latest reply

Gideon Bibles

If the Gideons do not want the Gideon Bibles sold on eBay, maybe VERO is the way the OP should go. 

Have the Gideons set up VERO to remove them. 

I don't know if that can be done or not with the Bible.

KrazzyKats

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Gideon Bibles

"The Content is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws in both the United States and internationally. Unauthorized use of the Content may violate copyright, trademark, and other laws. You must retain all copyright and other proprietary notices contained in the original Content on any copy you make of the Content. You may not sell or modify the Content or reproduce, perform, display, distribute, or otherwise use the Content in any way for any public or commercial purpose without first obtaining express written consent from the Company or the appropriate Content Provider. The use of the Content on any other website or in a networked computer environment for any purpose is prohibited except as specified in this section, unless you first obtain the written permission of the Company or the appropriate Content Provider. Each Content Provider is a third-party beneficiary hereunder to the extent necessary to enforce its proprietary rights in the Content."

Part of Gideons Terms of Service Statement.  Of course, now everyone can debate First Sale Doctrine not that I think it applies here.

Other than that:

"The Lord shall sue any of his children with no exemptions including that of  spiritual beliefs, race, gender, disabilities nor other mitigating factors other than age.  Human law disallows recovering damages due to the Lords children who are indeed children of his children children.  However, parents of said children will be judged by a higher court accordingly and with due diligence in time and at The Lords choosing (aka: Death).  Furthermore, The Lord did not create human copyright laws as portion of The Ten Commandments albeit Humans have without express permission of The Lord amended said Commandments on countless occasions and social structuring documents.  These transgressions include separation of Old and New Testaments which in all intent were to be one text.  The Lord does recognize that what was to be his finest creation in mankind has resulted in a faulty mechanism even in compare to a shard of Sandstone yet remains hopeful that this will change.

If you are interested in learning more please be patient and pray as our spiritual communications lines may currently be full and it is difficult to get good help these days."

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Gideon Bibles

" 'Furthermore, The Lord did not create human copyright laws as portion of The Ten Commandments albeit Humans have without express permission of The Lord amended said Commandments on countless occasions and social structuring documents.  These transgressions include separation of Old and New Testaments which in all intent were to be one text.' "

My goodness.  That's quite a statement from The Gideons.  
I am reminded of things I learned in Sunday School such as not casting the first stone.

My Dad's cousin was a member of The Gideons.  I still have the pocket-sized book that was distributed at his funeral early in 2001:  The New Testament with Psalms and Proverbs.  

That's right:  The Gideons themselves printed the entire New Testament with only Psalms and Proverbs from the Old Testament and distributed them.  So, apparently, the Gideons themselves committed a transgression against The Lord.

The Lord indeed works in mysterious ways, doesn't She?

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

Gideon Bibles

@fredericparke-7 wrote:

It is ILLEGAL to sell Gideon Bibles

What law would that be?

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 15 of 27
latest reply