cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fedex box at USPS

Purchased a box at fedex because they had the right size.  Went to ship at USPS and they wouldn't take it because the box had a fedex logo on it.  Had to buy some tape at the post office to cover the logo.  Is this normal?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Fedex box at USPS

It's not normal.  At least it shouldn't be.

As far as I know the markings on a box that are not acceptable are things like alcohol brands.  hazardous materials from reused boxes that now contain something else - if the package does contain hazmats it needs to be labeled appropriately.  But previous content markings should be obliterated.

Also any old postage labels, addresses, postal barcodes, etc. need to be removed or obliterated.

But FedEx logos?  Nope.  Should not be a problem.  As long as proper USPS postage is applied.

Sounds like  your PO used the box as an excuse to generate more revenue with tape sales.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Fedex box at USPS

And on top of it - Why didn't you just ship FedEx the prices are usually cheaper

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Fedex box at USPS

I'm only guessing, but would assume a FEDEX logo box would be refused because of the cooperative agreement/service between FEDEX and USPS. FEDEX offers FEDEX Smartpost where the package is shipped by FEDEX, and then USPS delivers the parcel. Those parcels must originate at or with FEDEX.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Fedex box at USPS

I would talk to the Postmaster at whatever branch you use and get clarification.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Fedex box at USPS

FedEx packaging can not be used for SmartPost and has nothing to do with it or USPS. So that's not it.

This was a case of a USPS employee who probably needs "coaching".

I can see reasons why USPS would prefer to not have FedEx or UPS logo-ed boxes in their network as it makes it harder to visually sort out mistaken FedEx shipments to be rerouted back to FedEx, but there is nothing in the DMM that directly indicates that boxes or other containers with other logos can not be used. Except.....

DMM 501.5.1
5.0 Handling, Content, and Extra Service Markings
5.1 Handling, Content, and Extra Service
Certain markings may be used to identify handling, content, and extra service.
Unauthorized markings not designating price, class, address, handling, content,
or extra service are not permitted. Extraneous information, which can be
confused with ZIP Codes, may not be placed next to or directly under the last
line of the delivery address. Any obsolete marking on a container to be reused
for mailing must be obliterated....

Depending on how that is officially interpreted, ALL existing markings or logos might need to be obliterated (except it refers to "reused containers".

In general, the only things that matter are number sequences that might be interpreted as zip codes, addresses, or other barcodes (like on Amazon boxes) that might confuse the scanners.

https://about.usps.com/posters/pos81/welcome.htm
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Fedex box at USPS

You needs to learn to think on your feet.

Over at the work stations used by customers are a pile of U S Mail self stick address labels. Just grab a bunch of those and cover the FedEx logos. No need to buy any tape.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Fedex box at USPS

@berserkerplanet wrote:
In general, the only things that matter are number sequences that might be interpreted as zip codes, addresses, or other barcodes

FedEx boxes have bar codes. That is how FedEx rings them up when you buy them (They are not free).

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Fedex box at USPS

@berserkerplanet wrote:

Depending on how that is officially interpreted, ALL existing markings or logos might need to be obliterated (except it refers to "reused containers".

If the regs were interpreted this strictly, then nothing but the postage, address label, and other official USPS endorsements would be allowed on any packaging.

Almost every retailer has their own logos on packaging, including the eBay branded boxes and envelopes.  Even Priority packaging has extraneous barcodes, just like the FedEx boxes.  Not to mention the 4-5 or more barcodes on some of these labels for FedEx and UPS services that use USPS for the last mile.

Mainly the problems with barcodes is when people don't remove or cover up old mailing labels.  Handheld and automated scanners can differentiate between postal barcodes and other barcodes on boxes.

It is really amazing what makes its way through the postal system and gets to its destination, considering what a mess some packages and labels are.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Fedex box at USPS

Yes it is normal policy. FYI do not use liquor wine or beer boxes either or you will be taking your package back home with you.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Fedex box at USPS

>>FedEx boxes have bar codes.

Yes they do. And would need to be covered up like Amazon box barcodes if not being used to ship with FedEx to avoid the potential of confusing USP scanners along the way)

>>That is how FedEx rings them up when you buy them (They are not free)

FedEx Express boxes are free, except for their specialized ones, like laptop shipping boxes and other USPS "Ready Post" like offerings. They do not offer free boxes for use with FedEx Express Saver (3day), Ground, or Smartpost.

I have cases of free FedEx boxes, and anyone can walk into a FedEx store and grab free Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large, envelopes, or any other non-premium boxes/supplies off the racks. Just like USPS flat rate boxes at the PO.
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Fedex box at USPS

>>Yes it is normal policy.

It is not normal USPS policy to reject FedEx, UPS, Amazon, Walmart, or any other such containers.

>>FYI do not use liquor wine or beer boxes either or you will be taking your package back home with you

That is USPS policy and is in the DMM.

Poster 81- Shipping a Reused Box?

WARNING!

Reused packaging and boxes are only acceptable when all markings
and labels are removed or completely blotted out. Regardless of what is actually inside your package, markings for hazardous
materials may result in delivery delays or a package return. Poster 81, April 2001 PSN: 7690-05-000-4434

pos81

(and that poster and the restrictions appear to only apply to hazardous or alcohol markings)

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Fedex box at USPS

That’s from 2001. Haven’t things changed?
I use the unacceptable version most the time and without issue.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Fedex box at USPS

One of my postal clerk told me that they can't accept packaging from UPS or Fedex. But they way she said it seemed like it was more frowned upon then an actual rule. Like it's probably up to an individuals discretion. I don't do it often but if i'm in a pinch I will just turn an old USPS mailer inside out and have had no problems. 

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Fedex box at USPS

>>That’s from 2001. Haven’t things changed?

No, that poster is a graphical representation of what I quoted from the current DMM. Those rules are still the same. No HAZMAT, Alcohol, Danger, ORM-D, chemical content markings unless applicable to the current shipment in the (used) box.

>>I use the unacceptable version most the time and without issue.

Then they aren't enforcing it. If they do, you have a problem, so better not to poke the bear, but that prohibition doesn't apply to using a box with a Walmart or Amazon logo or other branding on it (unless it has chemical or other markings too.)
Message 15 of 19
latest reply