cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False Tracking Numbers

Anyone else get burned with a false tracking number ?? I had a buyer put a tracking number in for a return that didn't even have my name or address. eBay excepted the tracking number as legit and refunded the money because it showed the package was delivered! Obviously not to me.   I was able to obtain a picture from USPS showing the package with the wrong address and persons name yet I'm out a iPad and Money. I don't understand how this ethical for us sellers. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

False Tracking Numbers

This is a common scam. Especially with what you sold along with many other categories on eBay. I assume you paid for a return label, correct?

I don't like this process because the seller pays for the label but is blocked from seeing that tracking number to follow it. Buyer will manipulate the address and either send an envelope or basically empty box to someone in your area and probably any other location not near you. eBay bots only go the tracking number. It's a sad eBay process that leaves the seller with zero protection. 

In the future, be sure to review your buyer's profile and all feedback. Google the address. Does it look iffy? Maybe entertain shipping with signature required. For items that are high dollar / high scam risk, you might want to use pick-up only / pay then. 

I'm sure other will chime in on this from their experience. 

best wishes.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

False Tracking Numbers

The tracking number is probably correct. That is what the eBay bots go by. The address is what was manipulated. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

False Tracking Numbers

The problem is with ebay never actually verifying where a return was sent, other than the zipcode, and the fact ebay allows buyers to use their own shipping labels.

What you should do right now is report the buyer for mail fraud, for which the postal service already has the evidence to convict. They will go after them too.

The sad reality is ebay doesn't care if their sellers get robbed.

I hope your scamming buyer enjoys their felony record for life over a lousy ipad, I dont see how that's worth it, but some people apparently lack any sense of logic.

As for your money, all you can do is beg ebay to give it back, or hope the buyer is ordered to pay restitution after being convicted.

Other platforms like Mercari dont allow buyers to use their own return labels, they have to use the ones the platform provides. ebay could do the same, but this platform and its incompetent leaders absolutely do not care.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

False Tracking Numbers

eBay made the wrong decision and will have to refund you. Did you already appeal the decision and provide the proof you have? If you did and your appeal was denied then file a Notice of Dispute and someone of competent authority will evaluate your evidence and make a proper decision. 

Since you have a picture of a what was delivered does the package even look like you computer would fit in it?

Message 5 of 5
latest reply