cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exacty who benefits from hiding our full descriptions?

Since many, most or all of us are finding that buyers must now clickon a link to get the full item description (that we work so hard to make interesting and complete,) my question is, who thought this was a good idea and does anyone really benefit?

The sellers are getting screwed by unnecessary returns, the buyers are frustrated by having to leave the main item page, and ultimately, eBay loses money, sellers and buyers.  Why?

Ebay, are you listening?  **Tap, tap** Is this thing on?

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Being forced to open a separate page to "See Full Item Description" is a unnecessary inconvenience for both buyers AND sellers. Why was this unwanted change instituted? Ebay: one step forward, two steps back.

Message 2 of 56
latest reply

@vintageemporium280 wrote:

The USPS absolutely loves this move by eBay.  It doubles their business on many more sales because of the return shipping.

Message 3 of 56
latest reply

As a buyer, I am already extremely fed up with this extra step and yes I will not be shopping on eBay much longer. I feel very sorry for the sellers who worked so hard to have a complete description, only to have eBay condense it. This is a horrible move on eBay's part.

Message 4 of 56
latest reply

My listing's descriptions were being hidden too, but only on google chrome, not when I used mozilla firefox. So I cleared my chrome browswer's history, cache, etc. Now the description is back to normal for me. Try clearing your history and see if that helps.

Message 5 of 56
latest reply

This will only irritate sellers and buyers, and ultimately result in misunderstandings and more return cases. I suggest sellers  have 'view full item description" first in every item condition window as a precaution until someone at Ebay wakes up and realizes this is ultimately going to hurt their bottom line.

Message 6 of 56
latest reply

It's interesting because some of my listings are this way, some are not. I've seen this tactic used on blogs before as link bait. I agree with everyone here; bad idea.
Message 7 of 56
latest reply

variety_nook
Trailblazer

May I ask, are you all (whom are having issues with the description) using smartphones? I haven't had any problems on my desktop (Google Chrome) and I don't use my phone as far as internet access. Yes, I know, and I'm feeling that old too thinking Thank you in advance for your input. I appreciate it!

Happy 4th, GBA!

Message 8 of 56
latest reply

I was on my desktop when I noticed the description issue. But like I said, once I cleared my cache & history on chrome, it all looked normal again.
Message 9 of 56
latest reply

I was on my computer, Windows 10, latest version of Firefox. I don't even own a smartphone. I was able to get out of the test by clearing out just the eBay cookies. I did not do a complete clear of all cache and cookies ... just the eBay cookies and that worked.

It is a test a buyer level so if you, as a seller, were able to clear it up so your listings look OK to you that doesn't mean that any buyer who is still in the test is not still seeing the full description button to click.

Message 10 of 56
latest reply

The question is WHY do they want to have a button to find the full description? Does this help Ebay save Space on the website?

Sellers PAY for their store and or fees. The seller should be the one to design it.

Message 11 of 56
latest reply

Amen! As someone on another post noted, there is apparently still room on the page to show buyers competing listings and all the ads eBay wants to include.

Message 12 of 56
latest reply

I only have this problem with my smartphone app...so far. I use Firefox on my laptop and all is well.
Message 13 of 56
latest reply

I did not know that was happening.  How do I see if this is happening to my ads?

Message 14 of 56
latest reply

I only have trouble with my iPhone app. If I look at my active listings, then click on one and scroll to where the full description should be, there is a link buyers would have to click, just to read what I composed.
Message 15 of 56
latest reply