cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Envelope for coin sale

What kind of envelope can I use for a coin sale? I would love to use a regular envelope for 55 cents since the weight is only .2 oz.  Then I tried a 6x8 padded envelope and the weight is only .5 oz. What is the right way to do this since I do want the tracking. THANK YOU!!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Envelope for coin sale

@luckythewinner wrote:

@nancyfrankiejoey wrote:

What kind of envelope can I use for a coin sale? I would love to use a regular envelope for 55 cents since the weight is only .2 oz.  Then I tried a 6x8 padded envelope and the weight is only .5 oz. What is the right way to do this since I do want the tracking. THANK YOU!!

The USPS does not provide tracking for the 55 cent First Class letter rate. 

If you want tracking, you will need to use First Class Package, which started around $2.75 (although it is based on weight and distance). 

Coin collecting websites will say that you can mail a single coin inside a greeting card without it catching on the sorting machines, but I am not sure if that actually meets USPS regulations or not. 

As someone who once tried to ship coins in regular mail (between two thin pieces of cardstock), I can say the success rate of items arriving in one piece isn't great... I was losing a lot of packages by trying to save a few cents.

To the OP, if you buy your postage on eBay, you'll get a better rate than counter rate, it will give you tracking, and upload it directly to the sales record for your buyer.

C.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Envelope for coin sale

@nancyfrankiejoey wrote:

If you want tracking, you will need to use First Class Package, which started around $2.75 (although it is based on weight and distance). 

Coin collecting websites will say that you can mail a single coin inside a greeting card without it catching on the sorting machines, but I am not sure if that actually meets USPS regulations or not. 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Envelope for coin sale

Thank you!

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Envelope for coin sale

@luckythewinner wrote:

@nancyfrankiejoey wrote:

As someone who once tried to ship coins in regular mail (between two thin pieces of cardstock), I can say the success rate of items arriving in one piece isn't great... I was losing a lot of packages by trying to save a few cents.

To the OP, if you buy your postage on eBay, you'll get a better rate than counter rate, it will give you tracking, and upload it directly to the sales record for your buyer.

C.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Envelope for coin sale

That is not a safe way to ship. Coins are great at tearing through and getting lost. If it goes through a letter handling machine big trouble.  Some machines bend the envelope around a roller about an inch in diameter. Anything that does not flex tears out.   A padded envelope is a little better but still offers little protection. You don't want unhappy buyers and the feedback they tend to leave.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Envelope for coin sale

...a smallest size of yellow or white padded envelope is the one...you can purchase those bags with very reasonable prices in Amazon...

...few negative factors of regular letter size envelope:

1- is not sturdy enough

2- gets caught in DPS machine during USPS mail processing

3- causes Postage Due to buyer...and if buyer refuses to pay, the second issue is lengthy time in returning back to seller...

...but the choice is yours...

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Envelope for coin sale

...oh I forgot to mention another issue is no tracking number for the shipping status of item...buyers can remorsefully file an "item not receive" case when in reality they did got it...

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Envelope for coin sale

When I sold individual coins here, I always used the smaller padded envelopes and put the coin between two pieces of cardboard. It costs a little more in shipping but the coins are protected and buyer happy. The padded envelopes get you the tracking that also protects you with eBay. 

Hope this help!

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Envelope for coin sale

I'm not sure what the coin sold for and what you charged for shipping, but my advice to you would be to charge at least $4 for S&H and send it the right way with tracking.

In my opinion, if the item is so cheap that it's not worth spending $4 to ship, then it's not worth selling on ebay.

Good luck and stay safe!

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Envelope for coin sale

If the coin would sell for a minimal value, say under $10, then I either put  the coin into one of those coin containers with the clear plastic covering or inset it into a small piece of cardboard.  Then I put that into a small envelope to smooth down the edges, and then put that envelope into a standard sized envelope.  The postage will be 75¢ and not 55¢.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply