cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Encountering a new bait and switch

Okay, second time in a few weeks where I purchased an item. Then a few days later, I get a message that there is an issue with the item, but they'll send me a smaller or lesser unit.

Is this a new thing or just new for me?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I've never had that happen.   Where are you buying from; are these US sellers or...?

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Listed as US sellers but obviously Chinese. You can tell from the overly polite broken English.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

So you say "no, ship the item I paid for" .   When it doesn't show up by the latest estimated date, you file an Item Not Received complaint & ask eBay to step in as soon as you are allowed.  

I something shows up but is not what you bought, file a Not As Described complaint and insist on a return label.  If you don't get one, again ask eBay to step in ASAP. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Read eBay's MBG.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

"Then a few days later, I get a message that there is an issue with the item, but they'll send me a smaller or lesser unit.

Is this a new thing or just new for me?"

-----------

Sounds like they are out-of-stock on the item you bought

and are trying to avoid that defect?

?

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@tombruner wrote:

Listed as US sellers but obviously Chinese. You can tell from the overly polite broken English.

You just confirmed what I was thinking, and that doesn't surprise me.  

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@myboardid wrote:

So you say "no, ship the item I paid for" .   When it doesn't show up by the latest estimated date, you file an Item Not Received complaint & ask eBay to step in as soon as you are allowed.  

I something shows up but is not what you bought, file a Not As Described complaint and insist on a return label.  If you don't get one, again ask eBay to step in ASAP. 

That's what I would do.  I want what I bought, not something else.

It just doesn't work that way!

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@18704d wrote:

"Then a few days later, I get a message that there is an issue with the item, but they'll send me a smaller or lesser unit.

Is this a new thing or just new for me?"

-----------

Sounds like they are out-of-stock on the item you bought

and are trying to avoid that defect?

?

Lynn

Maybe, maybe not.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

"Dear Seller:

Please ship the exact item that I ordered and paid for. If you are unable to do so, you are expected to cancel the order as "Out of Stock" or "Mistake in Listing" as I am not the one requesting to cancel the order. Thank You"

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@tombruner wrote:

Okay, second time in a few weeks where I purchased an item. Then a few days later, I get a message that there is an issue with the item, but they'll send me a smaller or lesser unit.

Hahaha. The seller actually tells you they will send you a "smaller or lesser unit"? Or you received the replacement already and find out it's smaller or lesser?

If it's the former, then that seller isn't really bright. Wouldn't you want to replace with an equivalent or higher in a case like this? But then again, my question is really beside the point huh. I'm just in awe sometimes at the mindset of some of these ebay members.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@tombruner wrote:

I've had listings where I made a mistake in the listing description or title and catch it prior to shipping. I let the buyer know of what the proper item description is, then ask if they want to proceed or cancel the transaction knowing the full information. But that's happened maybe twice in as many years.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply