cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Scam

This is kind of a no-brainer but I received an email from someone stating that they didn't receive their item.  I didn't recognize the item or the buyer's name so I forwarded the email to spoof@ebay.com   The email looked pretty good with tracking info and ebay notifications.  Instead of clicking on the tracking number (or anything else), I retyped it into USPS tracking search and it didn't exist.  The no-brainer part is: don't click on any links.  Report that stuff to ebay and let them deal with it.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Email Scam

Absolutely.  That is what I advise all the time.  I'm so glad you were aware and likely avoided a tricky situation.  Job well Done!!

5.jpg

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Email Scam

I had a guy send me two messages about 5 days apart, In both he asked me to ship to his new address which he provided.

Only problem is he never paid for those items, let alone place an order. Guess he thought my I.Q. was below "1".

Needless to say he never got the item. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Email Scam

That's a common scam.  Scammers go through the list of recently purchased valuable items and send requests to change address to somewhere they can pick it up (usually not a home address, often through a reshipper where they can remain more anonymous), and hope that some percentage of sellers will fall for it.  eBay has gotten a little better about making it clear whether a message is in relation to an actual sale, but it's still not super clear when those are scams unless you know what to check for.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply