cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebays money back policy

Hopefully if all the sellers on ebay, atleast the ones based in USA, would write about the defect in ebays money back guarantee policy;

that by choosing item doesn't match photos or listing description, no matter how diligent a seller is about adequately describing an item (which is required) the buyer can return.

I know everyone is going to respond with how can ebay determine if the item sent matched item in listing.....Well, i can in 2 instances of my own personal experience show, by mine and buyers photos prove it. One was a box that my puppy had ran across and therefore left puppy paw prints😁 which showed this in the listings main pic and the buyer provided the same pic in the return for item not matching description case.  

That is the item listed and that is the item received.  

Second instance is for a backpack, the maker made 2 sizes...in my listing it says its the smaller version of the iconic backpack and even gave measurements. The buyer bought 2 of the same sizes, 2 separate listings. ( 2 different colors but both the smaller version)

Opened up a return item doesn't match description only on one of the items, mind you, saying she thought it was the bigger version.

Obviously what she did was bought 2 and decided which of the colors she wanted and knowing she can return even when seller doesn't do returns, by falsely claiming item doesn't match description..

I know i am not the only one who can 100% prove that item listed was item sent, and after following all ebays guidelines and rules and policy's set for sellers to have no protection.

I know i know open up an appeal, report the buyer. Thats not the point, the buyer gets to return the item. I would like to have ebay action before the item gets to be returned.

If seller has done everything by sellers requirements set forth by ebay.... Which is to avoid returns for items not matching, then by God shouldn't something be there for sellers not to be forced to accept a return?

Maybe if they, CEOs, be bombarded with actual letters in the mail, take heed and implement some change.

Only we as sellers can hope.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Ebays money back policy

I know i know open up an appeal, report the buyer. Thats not the point, the buyer gets to return the item. I would like to have ebay action before the item gets to be returned.

@im1chic2nv31-6 

^^^ I'll address this part. You DO NOT want eBay to take action. Be proactive and approve the Return. And know that you can't open an appeal until eBay has to take action on your part. And you DO NOT want eBay to have to take action on your part. That will only make your seller metrics suffer, and that's all you have to save now.

Agreed that false NAD Returns really hurt. All we sellers empathize. Hang in there...

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Ebays money back policy

Hopefully if all the sellers on ebay...

@im1chic2nv31-6 

Best of luck

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Ebays money back policy

You can ask Ebay to step in and you won't have to worry about the return, but you'll still be refunding.

As far as writing the CEO, they wouldn't even see the letters, they have people to file those for them.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Ebays money back policy

@kensgiftshop wrote:

You can ask Ebay to step in and you won't have to worry about the return, but you'll still be refunding.

As far as writing the CEO, they wouldn't even see the letters, they have people to file those for them.

That may be in their virtual round file.

OP - just process the return - this is going to happen sometimes and it's a bummer no doubt, but there are people like this in retail and eBay is not going to get into the adjudication process. Taking 30-day returns might help.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Ebays money back policy

The irony of it is the seller protections are better under the EIS program for international sales than they are for US sellers and domestic sales. EIS even protects the seller in the event of a chargeback. 

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Ebays money back policy

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

The irony of it is the seller protections are better under the EIS program for international sales than they are for US sellers and domestic sales. EIS even protects the seller in the event of a chargeback. 

It is not an irony. EU regulations have pretty much eliminated final sale/no returns for online sales, and EIS is designed to comply with EU regs. It is priced in to EIS.

The U.S. market has shifted to Free Returns, and is only now considering swinging the other way.

No returns has been a way for some of us to discourage buyers who should not be buying what we sell because they are ignorant of it. But that is not possible for all types of items, is not always effective, and not competitive when selling mass market items. Besides, sellers who sell things buyers want and cannot easily find another of, get few returns.

Sellers who sell women's fashion or autoparts or some backpacks get returns.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Ebays money back policy

shouldn't something be there for sellers not to be forced to accept a return?

@im1chic2nv31-6 

Oh, eBay has that.... You don't have to accept a return, you can refund and let the buyer keep the item for free.  Though most would surmise that choice is like taking a stick in your eye, or taking a stick in your other eye,  you agree to be a victim of false claims of "not as described" by using this site.  It comes under something in the User Agreement where you agree to let eBay decide all claims i.e. be judge, jury, executioner even if they have no basis in judging  the decision. Most of it is automated now, with nobody allowed to intervene in the bot process.   The predictable flow of events has been decided in advance based on what is best for eBay, and siding with a seller victim is not that.  

It was once proclaimed by an eBay staff VP or sorts that "eBay wants all buyers even if they are bad".  That sentiment is still driving the machine.  It is part of doing business on this site, and you need to know that going in. 

eBay is not interested in your PROOF.  They will never look at your PROOF.  Your fate is decided the second the buyer chooses their "not as described" reason from the drop down menu to request the return.  The veracity of the choice will never be an issue.  Lying is allowed. 

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Ebays money back policy

@tobaccocardyahoo wrote:

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

It is not an irony. EU regulations have pretty much eliminated final sale/no returns for online sales, and EIS is designed to comply with EU regs. It is priced in to EIS.

The U.S. market has shifted to Free Returns, and is only now considering swinging the other way.

No returns has been a way for some of us to discourage buyers who should not be buying what we sell because they are ignorant of it. But that is not possible for all types of items, is not always effective, and not competitive when selling mass market items. Besides, sellers who sell things buyers want and cannot easily find another of, get few returns.

Sellers who sell women's fashion or autoparts or some backpacks get returns.

From what I've been reading in the trade press (and my own experience) the shift away from 'free' returns is well underway. Returns abuse has caused some companies who once had very open return policies to tighten them up, and very few places where I shop have free returns. The same with "free" shipping, which I think is being replaced with threshold shipping (for instance, Amazon's $35 shipping threshold...and not on everything).

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Ebays money back policy

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

Those EIS protections are not free even if they seem to be.

Not only does eBay get their usual fee cut they also make money on the shipping they charge buyers (a substantial amount if they are smart enough).

eBay also has access to a mountain of data and know that returns/refunds are a much smaller issue than sellers who post here make it out to be.

I ship Internationally directly. I can charge buyers slightly less (more than slightly for some weights) for shipping than EIS or USPS and still make a considerable profit. I also know that historically for me that the number of buyer issues (returns/refunds) are almost insignificant.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Ebays money back policy

Ebay will never have the desire or manpower to investigate and adjudicate every single INAD return.

That will never happen.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Ebays money back policy

Agreed that false NAD Returns really hurt. All we sellers empathize. Hang in there...

ALL retail sellers of goods and services (with the possible exception of drug dealers and pimps) have to deal with returns and refund claims.  There is actually a line item in a General Ledger and appropriate subsidiary ledgers for returns.  

Some have a separate one for 'shrinkage' (theft).  It is predictable.  It happens to everyone.

Get used to it.  It will happen again - guaranteed.

I solve that problem by not selling anything on-line that I can't afford to lose.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Ebays money back policy

You lost me at, "...if all the sellers on ebay..."

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Ebays money back policy

If seller has done everything by sellers requirements set forth by ebay.... Which is to avoid returns for items not matching, then by God shouldn't something be there for sellers not to be forced to accept a return?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The short answer is no, eBay buyers don't have the same tactile experience as physical store shoppers, who can see and touch products before purchasing. Big box stores often offer generous return policies, setting a high standard for eBay to compete with. The real challenge lies in the shipping costs, which put eBay sellers at a disadvantage when it comes to handling returns.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Ebays money back policy

@im1chic2nv31-6 I'm still unsure how you claim you can 100% prove what you sent... there is no way you can do that. The people who would be looking into your case would have no idea what you actually sent and what the buyer returned. If I'm a lying buyer with the intent to cheat; I'm not going to provide any accurate evidence that would help your case... or I might show photos of exactly what you sent and still lie. The eBay reps don't have special powers to know who the real liar is.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply