cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay sucks again

Just another example of ebay's power over its participants. Sold an item, buyer didn't like it, as always we take back returns for any reason and give full refund, for some reason buyer didn't receive my return address after me send it three times and they opened a case against me. the finally sent the item back and i issued an immediate refund. 5 days later ebay issues them another refund and now wants me to pay them back for their error. 167.50. Been with ebay since August 1996 and every change, move, upgrades etc. have always been negative rather than positive for its users. I don't know how I've lasted this long but this could be it. EBAY SUCKS. mrcat!     Mike Seward

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Ebay sucks again

i issued an immediate refund

How did you do that? If you refund through the eBay case then eBay would know about it and there would be nothing for them to refund. If you refunded via PayPal from the original transaction page eBay would know about it. If you did it any other way eBay would have no way of knowing.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Ebay sucks again

Wait, Im not understanding how ebay can issue them two refunds unless you flubbed the initial refund by doing something crazy like using the send money feature in paypal
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Ebay sucks again

eBay issued them a refund out of their funds? If so, I'd be telling eBay they need to recoup the funds from the buyer, whom you've already refunded.

Also, be wary of issuing a refund through Paypal WITHOUT going through the eBay 'return' system/process.  I tried that once, it resulted in a defect on my account, as the system apparently felt I was 'cancelling' the order.  They want their hand in everything nowadays.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Ebay sucks again

I refunded through paypal, was on a 3  way call for 45 minutes with ebay and paypal. The guy from paypal told the ebay person at least 5 times that my refund went directly to the buyer the day I received it back and the ebay person wouldn't believe him which made him a little upset to say the least. He thought it was because ebay and paypal are separete companies now. I had to send them a pic of my computer screen with the refund and date and they still ruled against me.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Ebay sucks again

I believe that's what happened. I just went directly to paypal and gave them an instant refund without going through ebay and now instead of them going after the money from the person they issued it to they are coming after me.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Ebay sucks again

trinton@ebay can anything be done to help the OP?
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Ebay sucks again

@mrcat! wrote:

I believe that's what happened. I just went directly to paypal and gave them an instant refund without going through ebay...

Oh no, ebay believes you did not refund. When they close a case where they step in and refund the customer, they then seek reimbursement from the seller. And check your dashboard. You got a "case closed without seller resolution" defect. You made a mistake and i'm afraid this will cost you. If you don't reimburse ebay, they can limit your selling privileges. You can try to go up the ladder with Customer Service to find someone in a position to help you. So sorry to hear this.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Ebay sucks again

I have a good friend that has been with ebay longer than any other person there, since late 1995, and he is in one of the highest management positions but I don't really want to go that route even though I have in the past. I felt it was cut and dry but not where ebay is concerened.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Ebay sucks again

What's OP

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Ebay sucks again

@mrcat!

@mrcat! wrote:

I believe that's what happened. I just went directly to paypal and gave them an instant refund without going through ebay and now instead of them going after the money from the person they issued it to they are coming after me.

Yes, if you Refund directly through PayPal on an item that shows Delievered by the eBay system then you are working outside eBay, they are NOT aware of what you are doing.  A full refund directly with PayPal only gets your PayPal fees back less 30 cents transaction fee but NO eBay FVFs are credited to you.  If the Buyer processed a claim in eBay's Resolution center, after 21 years longevity, I would think you might recall to wait on the due process so everyone (ie: eBay in particular) knows what you and the Buyer are doing.  It is the only real way they can verify that the item has been returned ... if the Buyer loses the label then that is their mistake ...

Really sorry this happened to you and hopefully you can get it straightened out ... but remember (I'm sure yuo do) eBay and PayPal are separate companies so if you get them both on the phone the potential is there for adversarial roles ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Ebay sucks again

Original Poster

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Ebay sucks again

If you went right to the buyer's original payment and selected the "refund payment" option, this should not have happened in the first place, and should have been easily resolved if it somehow fell through the cracks.

If you instead sent the buyer a PayPal PAYMENT for the refunded amount, I can see how this would be trouble.

However you refunded, have you checked to see whether that transaction was completed?

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Ebay sucks again

Yes it's true, you not only have to jump through hoops around here but you have to do it in a specific fashion or it won't count, I like to think of it as training for the Internet Olympics.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Ebay sucks again

Original Poster
Message 15 of 15
latest reply