cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay standard envelope tracking failure has resulted in seller status falling to 'Below Standard.'

For several years we have used the standard envelopes to ship items at a total price point of $4.99 and lower.  These have been an ongoing problem for many sellers (google similar problems) and Ebay apparently has no desire to correct them.  The standard envelope tracking, as nearly all sellers who use them in large numbers know by now is so poor that unlike first class or priority mail, cannot be scanned at the local post office or by the carrier on the other end.  Only certain machines at larger facilities can scan them so a large portion of those we ship NEVER get a single scan despite traveling cross country in many instances.

A few times over the past six months, when it looked like our seller status would drop because of 'defects' with these envelopes I would reach out to Ebay and they would research our account and remove the defects which allowed up to remain a top seller, eligible to receive the 10% off of seller fees.  While frustrating, each time we were told that Ebay was working on fixing the issues but each time it took a lot of time going over various orders to show them that the tracking problem is widespread.  With seller fees in the tens of thousands of dollars many years, the 10% off of those fees is real money to our business.  We sell items for hundreds and thousands of dollars, so losing the discount on the selling fees of those items is not worth the $1 or $2 we may net on the items we ship with the standard envelopes.  To make matters even worse this month, being lowered to 'Below Standard' seller status comes with an additional 6% Ebay fee bringing our net fees to over 20% when shipping and taxes are included in the total that the fees are calculated from.

This past Saturday I called yet again and spent two hours on the phone going over the issues.  I walked 'Dennis' through the same issues I have done previously with others who I have talked with.

The conversation included giving 'Dennis' order numbers and having him check the shipping info.  It went like this over and over and over:

Me: Check the tracking info and does it show as delivered or even a single scan beyond label created?

😧  No

Me: Did I ship the item?

😧 It doesn't look like it.

Me: If the customer files a non-receipt claim, will Ebay refund their money and add a defect to my account?

😧 Yes

Me:  Check the feedback the customer left.

😧 You received a positive feedback and positive comment.

Me: Do you think the customer received the item?

😧 Yes

Me: Is that a problem in your eyes given that if that customer filed a non-receipt report and thus got to keep the money and my product?

😧 I can see your point, but can you give me another one to check?

Me: I can give you dozens like this and hundreds that have no feedback left AND no complaint for non receipt.

This conversation continued with multiple orders like this.  I explained that once some people figure out, or have already figured out the scam, they can file a claim after checking the tracking.  These issues will skyrocket for eBay, sellers, and buyers.   I also noted that I have items that say they are delivered that were not.  I know this because I received them back for various reasons but if I did not contact or refund the customer, they would have been out the money because the tracking says 'delivered.'  I have come to learn that the 'tracking' on these standard envelopes is based off of estimates and the 'delivery' can actually occur within a day or two in either direction.  Ebay uses the 'estimated' tracking info to determine if an item was actually delivered or not delivered which opens the door for nefarious actors.  I have also had customers who were refunded for an item not delivered reach out weeks or months later to tell me they received their order and wanted to pay me for it as it wasn't our issue.  

In the end I have a couple of options:

1- Take down HALF of our total listings that use these envelopes and go back to only selling items that have real tracking.  

2- DOUBLE the price of the cheaper items and hope sales do not decline which is unlikely to happen.

3- Put my store on vacation mode for three months until the defects age out and then start over again.

4- Leave Ebay and use one of the dozens of other platforms to move inventory until Ebay figures this issue out.

The people I have spoken with at Ebay LATELY have no interest in fixing the issue despite each person starting the conversation with something along the lines of 'thank you for being a great seller since 1995' to which I reply that they need to check my seller status and the message I was sent last week essentially saying we were among the worst sellers on Ebay!

I know many people feel that they are protected from shipping issue because of the insurance promised, but the fact that some third party offers insurance once you jump through all the hoops is irrelevant to this conversation about seller status.  In reality, without a single scan, the insurance company can and will deny your claim on most of these as there is no way to prove you actually mailed the item despite creating a label.

If you have similar issues or questions about this post, please reach out to us through messages.  I would love to hear other sellers' problems if they have caused this level of issues. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Ebay standard envelope tracking failure has resulted in seller status falling to 'Below Standard.'

The people I have spoken with at Ebay LATELY have no interest in fixing the issue despite ,,,,,

@wesellsportstoyou 

You are apparently conversing with the regular Customer Service you get in a call back or chat.  They are outsourced foreign call center reps that have limited knowledge, and even less authority to do anything to help you. 

Though I may be incorrect, it seems to me that eBay has always been aware of the shortcomings of this method of shipping, and had protections in place for those that used it with regard to no acceptance scans, etc. that were truly a function of the program altogether.  It could be that was just a "selling point" or "perk" to get people to use it.

Presently, the eBay page regarding this states:  eBay’s seller levels and performance standards apply as they would for any typical eBay order.

Found here: https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/ebay-standard-envelope?id=...

So it sounds like you use this service now at your own peril, and corrections will no longer be made.  Consequently, you will also have the pleasure of  an unfavorable metric increase in  INRs just because they are filed (even if you refund in full) , just like with regular sales. You basically may have to just rely on the honesty of your buyer as if you sent it with a postage stamp and no tracking at all. 

I would reach out to eBay through one of their social media platforms and ask for assistance with this.  One such is to use the blue message button at the top of this page.  It connects you to actual eBay employees that may still have the authority to help you. 

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

Hopefully, you will return with the results of your query. 

Thanks for the info on how the "insurance" operates as well.  

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Perhaps I missed it but what is the reason shown on your dashboard for going below standard?   Afaik an high item not received late or a high late shipment rate can make you lose top rated status and benefits but it shouldn't make you go below standard. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

It seems like a lot of work and time you put into this for that 10 % discount.

Would not using a .68 stamp instead of using the eBay standard envelope average out to that 10 % discount.?

Doesn't one spend money on ink to print the mailing address to tape on certain envelopes using paper to print the address on? Cost: ink, envelope, tape, paper(address). A cheap envelope and writing the address would do just as good.

I have never had an item lost last year up to date using a .68 stamp through the USPS.

Of course, items over $20 I would do tracking.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

If tracking doesn't show a scam as item received for the "shipping date" or item doesn't show a scan as item "delivered"....that would make it below standard if too many appear as such...when using tracking. Just a thought.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Weird how my card account doesn't have your problems at all. It is a 100 percent standard envelope store, and has never fallen out of top rated.  Sure it isn't top rated plus, but that isn't going to happen with standard envelope.

You can either light $3.50 on fire with every single card order under $20 by shipping as a package, and lose massive amounts of business if you actually show the customer that charge. I know I won't order a standard envelope item with package shipping from anyone as they are wasting my money.

Or.

You can save between 2 and 26 cents on each of those orders by being top rated plus. I know which one I would choose. 

Also, if you are shipping standard envelope in top loaders those have a large rate of exceptions as they get caught in the machines, you will want to use a semi-rigid solution that doesn't jam the machine.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@wesellsportstoyou 

One of the simplest methods to receive that initial "Accepted" notation on your ESE "tracking" is to physically mail the ESEs in the "Metered Mail" slot located in the lobbies of most post offices -- and many of these lobbies are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Because USPS considers the ESE to be "business metered mail," mailing the ESE in the "Metered Mail" slot means that the ESE will immediately be included with other pre-sorted "business metered mail," which then can be immediately gathered up at the end of the day, and shipped out to the next USPS Distribution Center (usually in another town, and often in another county).  Usually, this is an overnight process, with the initial "Accepted" notation added the following day (and later, if mailed on a Friday or three-day USPS holiday weekend).

That initial "Accepted" scan is critical, not only for insurance purposes, but for the eBay seller ratings, to make sure that sellers don't fall to "Below Standard."  

Handing the ESEs to the USPS counter clerk and/or USPS mail carriers may delay receiving the "Accepted" scan (since the ESEs will then be mixed with other mail).  And, for the same reason, the same applies with ESEs mailed in the USPS "blue boxes" or home mailboxes, or business mailing systems.

Finally, the "Delivered" scan is not an "estimate" -- it indicates when the ESE has arrived at the post office matching the ZIP Code on the buyer's address -- but NOT the buyer's address itself.  The final delivery to the buyer's residence is often a day or so afterwards (unless the "Delivered" notification is made on a Friday or before a USPS three-day holiday weekend, in which case it would not be delivered to the buyer's residence until later in the week).

Here's an example of one of my ESE "tracking" records (beginning with #8, and reading upwards) --

Shipment history

1. eBay Delivery Services: ESUS183354461
  2. Tue, Feb 6
    4:41pm
    Delivered
  3. Mon, Feb 5
    11:50pm
    Out for Delivery
    LOUISVILLE, KY 40231
  4. Mon, Feb 5
    7:43pm
    Out for Delivery
    LOUISVILLE, KY 40231
  5. Mon, Feb 5
    11:04am
    Destination processing
    LOUISVILLE, KY 40231
  6. Fri, Feb 2
    1:43am
    Origin Processing
    EAGAN, MN 55121
  7. Thu, Feb 1
    10:54pm
    In Transit
    EAGAN, MN 55121
  8. Wed, Jan 31
    8:23am
    Tracking number provided

And, as has previously been mentioned, the flexibility of the ESE is critical -- it MUST be flexible enough to swiftly glide through multiple USPS rolling systems, which will bend the ESE nearly in half.

Using the methods which I've described above, I've been using the ESE for the last couple years, without any problems, no returns, and no complaints from my buyers.

Try it out for yourself, and see if your luck changes.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hi I stopped buying sport cards on eBay because sometimes I receive them sometimes I don’t.  Ridiculous 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply