cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay has a problem

Every day at some point, this website doesn't function properly. The shop by category drop down menu on the home page becomes unresponsive. If you go to the my ebay drop down menu, that will work. Usually this clears up in 10-15 minutes, but today its been like 30 minutes.  Why does this happen? Could this be why sales are way down? If you can't navigate the site, you're NOT going to purchase anything. Anybody else experience this problem?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Ebay has a problem

Maybe it's your computer or browsing service. When was the last time you cleared your browsing history or cache? 

Is anyone else having this problem? No, I am not. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Ebay has a problem

@redmodelt wrote:

Maybe it's your computer or browsing service. When was the last time you cleared your browsing history or cache? 

Is anyone else having this problem? No, I am not. 

No its not the front end navigation menus time out then fail throwing an exception (programming term).  I've not seen it today but this past weekend it was sporadic all weekend long.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Ebay has a problem

Why is it that I don't have this problem on any other site? It's only on Ebay.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Ebay has a problem

I am not having the issue you describe or any other issues. Ebay has been functioning fine since before the thanksgiving holiday. Try a different browser. Hope you get it worked out. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Ebay has a problem

@wds_collectibles wrote:

Why is it that I don't have this problem on any other site? It's only on Ebay.

Most folks I imagine search on eBay versus navigating via the menus to browse.  This a distributed computing environment and behind the scene's page generation is likely templated.  So what you see are actually pieces of webpage output (lets call it streamed)  or "Fully assembled" then output whereby data is injected into these templates.  The front end menu system "piece" is likely static that is to say since it doesn't change there is no need to constantly grab data of a database to "inject" into the menu template, that'd just waste computing resources.

Now WHERE these templates/data are served both geographically and from the servers in the "server warehouse(s)" is Network Topology and we don't have a clue what that looks like.  There will be server warehouses across the nation in differing locations.  Connection servers, authentication servers, template server, database servers... on and on...   What's likely is someplace in one of those warehouses there is a piece of hardware that's faulting, that'd be my guess. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Ebay has a problem

What browser would you recommend?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Ebay has a problem

Maybe start with what you are using and go from there. I am using Microsoft and sometimes Google (not Chrome). 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Ebay has a problem

I don't think there is a problem with my browser, these problems only happen on Ebay. I have no problems on Walmart, Target, Kohls, Lowes, Home Depot, JC Penney or Macys.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply