cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you reveal to oblivious buyers about the power of SNAD?

I've gotten this a few times. Buyer's who file buyer remorse returns because the item either doesn't fit them or won't work with the clothing they plan to wear it with.

Then after they receive the refund (minus the restocking fee), they come back and ask me how come they didn't get a full refund as well as compensation for the return shipping they had to pay. Apparently these buyers never even look at the details of the return amount when they filed it.

What would you respond to them? Anything you say to them will likely open their eyes to abuse/circumventing with SNAD.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I would tell them that with your type of return, you are responsible to pay to ship the package to me.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

I've gotten this a few times. Buyer's who file buyer remorse returns because the item either doesn't fit them or won't work with the clothing they plan to wear it with.

Then after they receive the refund (minus the restocking fee), they come back and ask me how come they didn't get a full refund as well as compensation for the return shipping they had to pay. Apparently these buyers never even look at the details of the return amount when they filed it.

What would you respond to them? Anything you say to them will likely open their eyes to abuse/circumventing with SNAD.

It sounds to me like they're expecting the promise that eBay made to them under the MBG program, and don't have any idea the two things are different.

No worries... they'll just stop shopping on eBay, and probably tell all their friends that eBay is a scam. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

I would tell them that with your type of return, you are responsible to pay to ship the package to me.

Ah. That's a good one. Dangit, I already replied to this one the same way I always do. I told them for returns due to remorse, the buyer is responsible for return shipping.

I couldn't think of anything more vague as to not turn them to "the dark side" of SNAD abusers. I should've sent your reply. I may turned someone. I feel like the Night King now (Game of Thrones reference haha).

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Buyers returning items is a fact of life and certainly nothing unusual.

Buyers will wise up and file SNAD, instead; and you will be stuck with paying returning shipping and issuing full refunds.

As it is, a buyer paying return shipping costs more than your 20% restocking fee since your items are low-priced.

So you decide - is it worth more to nickel-and-dime honest buyers until they file SNAD, which will cost YOU more money?

You also don't get the fvf credit with less than a full refund so when you put figures to paper to do the math, I think you'll find you're costing yourself money.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@*eponymous* wrote:

Buyers will wise up and file SNAD, instead; and you will be stuck with paying returning shipping and issuing full refunds.

As it is, a buyer paying return shipping costs more than your 20% restocking fee since your items are low-priced.

So you decide - is it worth more to nickel-and-dime honest buyers until they file SNAD, which will cost YOU more money?

You also don't get the fvf credit with less than a full refund so when you put figures to paper to do the math, I think you'll find you're costing yourself money.

For the most part, so called "honest buyers" already open SNAD on eBay. The ones that don't are "uninformed buyers" not "honest buyers".

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I wouldn't respond the transaction is over at that point.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@*eponymous* wrote:

With all with all due respect, your statement is contradictory. Yes buyers will always return items, you are correct there. But would you still call a buyer who chooses to abuse the SNAD system when they have a remorse return as "honest"? I certainly wouldn't . The honest buyers are the ones who know the loophole yet still choose to file return requests correctly and not abuse the system.

If a buyer were to "wise up" and file SNAD, I'm sure we can agree that it's not just the restocking fee that will push them over that edge to do so. Like you said, it's the return shipping cost that costs more. Most likely they already decided to abuse SNAD to circumvent the return shipping cost and not because of the restocking fee alone. And I am not forcing them to file SNAD with my restocking fee. That's the buyer's own decision combined with eBay's flawed system. To me, that's what separates an honest and a dishonest buyer. The buyer isn't a victim here. They have a choice.

I agree with you that if your circumstances are correct, it may not be financially smart to have a restocking fee (or have the buyer pay for return shipping even). But my situation is different from what you stated. I've checked my invoices and I have in fact gotten my FVFs refunded for remorse refunds where a restocking fee is kept. Also I am in a program that allows me to keep a restocking fee and charge the buyer a return shipping cost when I'm issuing a refund for any SNAD return. So for the returned items I receive that are actually remorse, I exercise this action. For the ones that are correctly SNAD, I don't. I didn't mention that earlier because I don't know how many members are in this program or understand it. eBay CS has told me I was allowed the program because of my proven long history of taking care of my buyers and quite possibly a target of many buyers looking to abuse the system. So for me specifically, I'm already doing most cost effective method.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Buyers are eBay users, just like you and me. They know about the forums, they can use google, and they are aware of SNADs. 

They even get a helpful suggestion to open a claim if they start clicking around in the resolution center. eBay will do anything to avoid connecting a user to customer service.

So don't feel like SNAD is a secret that hardly anyone knows about, and that the only reason you're still afloat is because some people haven't learned its power yet. 

Most of these complainers want to subtly prod you into offering a partial refund because they know about that scam too, and they don't want to risk having to return their item for a full refund (pretty much your only defense against it).

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@omgitlightsup wrote:

So don't feel like SNAD is a secret that hardly anyone knows about, and that the only reason you're still afloat is because some people haven't learned its power yet. 

Yes you're right that many people already know of this loophole. That wasn't my original concern. My original issue was, based on the message the buyer sent me (wondering about the restocking fee and return shipping compensation) it seems that that particular buyer has not yet figured it out the loophole. So would you just spell it out for him?

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Telling them after they lose a buyer's remorse case about the SNAD possibilities is the equivalent of the a dude being sent to the guillotine.  The blade stops before connecting with the neck, and he advises them to oil it.

(super abridged version of that old joke).

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I would tell them that I don't offer free shipping and that there was a restocking fee upon return that was in the terms of the listing. I would point out the location of the restocking fee so that the customer can go back to the listing and read it. Then end the discussion with If I can help you find any future purchases or information let me know I'd be more than willing to help. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply