cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Damaged package

I sold an item and the buyer received it but it was broken.  I thought that I would start the claim, but when I go to shipping labels and click on File a Claim, it says wait until October 18th to file a claim.  Why would it say that?  Also, who usually files the claim -  the seller or the buyer?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Damaged package

The seller files the claim. Unfortunately, you will have to settle things with the buyer in advance while you go through the claim process. 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Damaged package

@jawc2 

Ask the buyer for a few picture of the item and package, then refund the buyer.

Have the buyer hang on to the item and package so it can be inspected.

You file a claim with the carrier.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Damaged package

Did the buyer open a refund request through ebay? If not, I would tell them to do that and ebay will send them a label to send it back to you. You will refund once you receive the item back and then you can move forward with the claim

"I'm for truth no matter who tells it. I'm for JUSTICE no matter who it is for or against." - Malcolm X
"Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in periods of moral crisis maintain their neutrality." - JOHN F. KENNEDY
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Damaged package

@r_lresale  "Did the buyer open a refund request through ebay? If not, I would tell them to do that and ebay will send them a label to send it back to you. You will refund once you receive the item back and then you can move forward with the claim"

I believe the Buyer will have to take the box, packing materials, and the broken item into the carrier facility so it can be inspected. If it's considered to be inappropriately packed/boxed, claim will be denied. Must be inspected at recipient's end.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Damaged package

From what I've read, claims for broken items are often denied and if shipment wasn't insured, then you have no claim.

I always have the Buyer take photos of the broken item which I keep for my records. Then I write it off as a loss on my taxes. I never put my buyers through the hassle of having to haul the box into the post office - people are busy and don't want to fool with this especially if they live in a city.

I simply tell buyers that I must have photos for my IRS records and that they'll be fully refunded once I have them. Then I copy the original sale details, the refund, and keep all that with the photos in case of an audit.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Damaged package

@bauble-babes wrote:

@r_lresale  "Did the buyer open a refund request through ebay? If not, I would tell them to do that and ebay will send them a label to send it back to you. You will refund once you receive the item back and then you can move forward with the claim"

I believe the Buyer will have to take the box, packing materials, and the broken item into the carrier facility so it can be inspected. If it's considered to be inappropriately packed/boxed, claim will be denied. Must be inspected at recipient's end.

Yes but buyers can't make claims and of course you can't make them do all of that so even claim made be seller will be denied...I have heard of very few who actually made a successful claim. That said I would make buyer open a request for refund and receive item back before refunding. 

"I'm for truth no matter who tells it. I'm for JUSTICE no matter who it is for or against." - Malcolm X
"Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in periods of moral crisis maintain their neutrality." - JOHN F. KENNEDY
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Damaged package

Sadly even if insured USPS will find a reason that they aren't at fault and deny.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Damaged package

@bauble-babes wrote:

I believe the Buyer will have to take the box, packing materials, and the broken item into the carrier facility so it can be inspected. If it's considered to be inappropriately packed/boxed, claim will be denied. Must be inspected at recipient's end.

Yes but buyers can't make claims and of course you can't make them do all of that so even claim made be seller will be denied...I have heard of very few who actually made a successful claim. That said I would make buyer open a request for refund and receive item back before refunding. 

Actually either the sender or the recipient can open a claim with USPS and it is in fact much easier for the recipient to do so since as you noted the item will probably have to be taken into the local PO and inspected.

If the buyer returns the item you cannot file a claim against the original shipping from the seller to the buyer. I have filed several claims with USPS and while it is generally a battle I have prevailed in most of those claims but it took cooperation with the buyer and them taking the item and the original packing to the PO for inspection. 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Damaged package

You are correct...USPS has denied my last two claims when I never had any issues before, even after I appealed their decision.  And yes they will want the recipient to take the item to the post office for inspection so the buyer needs to save all the packing.  (even if you supply USPS with sufficient photos) I overpack my items now. Nothing damaged in over 18 months. 🤞

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Damaged package

I have no idea why you would advise the OP to have the buyer open a claim and PAY to get a broken item back. A return is a ding and why would the OP want a broken item back in the mail.

If the package was insured then by all means ask for pictures and file a claim. A buyer is not required to do that however and if you send a label to get it back you have no claim at all. Refund your buyer. Do not go out of your way to give yourself a ding on your shipping metrics.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Damaged package

LOTS of misinformation below. Yes, the way eBay and their insurer have it set up, seller who purchased insurance has to wait to even file a claim until after they are obligated to refund buyer under a different set of eBay rules. Different rules for items damaged and items not received. NO uniformity whatsoever. My personal horror story? Sold item for $350. Shipped with eBay insurance. Buyer CLAIMED it arrived damaged. Photos showed no perceivable damage. I contacted eBay about not being able to yet file claim and Ship Cover and USPS both having policies buyer must hold onto item to process claim. Ebay put a hold on the return/refund pending insurance claim. A different eBay agent told buyer how to commit fraud by going ahead and returning the item. Once it was returned eBay would force me to refund. If it was actually damaged my claim would be denied because item left buyers hands. Upon return THERE WAS NO DAMAGE!. I did refund and dropped insurance claim. Ebay does everything in their power to make things difficult for sellers. Get used to it. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply