cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Service

It seems ebay has made it difficult to register a complaint against ebay sellers, using generic drop down menus instead to give the buyer a sense that all is OK.  When you see a listing that inflates the price of purchase against others in the category to bring the seller to the top of it and in reality self advertising for them with outlandish prices which no one will bid on you have to wonder what is going on. It seems you can only contact ebay now over the phone which is difficult when you have to call overseas. Please ebay what has happened, have you got so big that you have abandoned the core of your business. Buyer’s are the backbone of a service so I am asking you please make it easier for people who have a genuine issue to register a complaint. If this seems outside your control you have to wonder why. I am asking you as a loyal customer for over 15 years to take action and make it easier to navigate your pages. I hope that you will take this under advisment as there are many buyers out their in the real world who are frustrated and angry thay cant talk to you.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Customer Service

Can you give an example.

Sometimes sellers use outlandish prices to keep the listing as a place holder while that item is out of stock.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Customer Service

Why are you bothering ebay with complaints about pricing when there are buyers with real issues waiting to get through on the phone?

Ebaym will not and cannot tell sellers where to set their prices. That would be price fixing and its illegal.

There are also reasons that a seller will put the price way high such as they are looking to see what kind of offers they will get, or they're almost sold out so they raise the price way high till they get more in stock so they dont have to end their listing
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Customer Service

When you see a listing that inflates the price of purchase against others in the category to bring the seller to the top of it 

You're suggesting that too high a price should be considered a policy violation?

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Customer Service

I am not surprised that eBay makes it hard to register a complaint just because you don't like seller's price. 

The seller is not violating any policy whatsoever, and that complaint would just be a waste of eBay's time.  

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Customer Service

Yes I have examples but for the moment I will hold these to myself as I don’t wish to have issues with eBay. What I am saying is that as a buyer I have the right to view the category I wish without having to scroll down and get to real sellers and see what is truly available. If a seller wishes to place an outlandish price so they transit to the top of a category and so in my opinion cheap advertising with no chance of selling the item and I have to view 2-3 pages of this until I view items that are available now, and for real prices, then this is unacceptable and goes against true eBay policy. Ebay was about all sellers having something to sell now not sometimes if and when an item comes in. This is NOT how eBay was to function. Since I have joined eBay I have seen an increase in individuals being ripped off by sellers whose only intention was to scam people. Just look at all the increase in negative feedbacks online. I have been lucky with my two categories. I have a rating of only 500 but all sellers I purchase from have been terrific...why because I only purchases from those with a 100% record or close to this. If and when I am contacted by a eBay representative I will give this example to them but I am sure it is not the only one. Why because this seller goes across a few categories.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Customer Service

@inkakola wrote:

Yes I have examples but for the moment I will hold these to myself as I don’t wish to have issues with eBay. What I am saying is that as a buyer I have the right to view the category I wish without having to scroll down and get to real sellers and see what is truly available. If a seller wishes to place an outlandish price so they transit to the top of a category and so in my opinion cheap advertising with no chance of selling the item and I have to view 2-3 pages of this until I view items that are available now, and for real prices, then this is unacceptable and goes against true eBay policy. Ebay was about all sellers having something to sell now not sometimes if and when an item comes in. This is NOT how eBay was to function. Since I have joined eBay I have seen an increase in individuals being ripped off by sellers whose only intention was to scam people. Just look at all the increase in negative feedbacks online. I have been lucky with my two categories. I have a rating of only 500 but all sellers I purchase from have been terrific...why because I only purchases from those with a 100% record or close to this. If and when I am contacted by a eBay representative I will give this example to them but I am sure it is not the only one. Why because this seller goes across a few categories.

How are you searching?

If you want the cheapest price. search lowest items first.

Or search as I do - new items.

Or if this seller is a problem, again do as I do, block him from your search.

As far as negatives, expensive prices is something buyers can avoid at all cost just by not buying from them.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Customer Service

@inkakola

What search parameters are you using for this widget?

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Customer Service

Again I am not saying a seller cant place whatever price on an item, I have never said this. What I am saying is when you have a store item you can purchase for a few dollars anywhere and the same item and subsequent items from the seller are so out landish that it takes them to the top of a category then I do believe you have an issue. For example someone wants to sell a newspaper and a plastic cup...$1 for the paper $1 for the palstic cup...purchasable anywhere for these prices..nothing special about them. Now a seller has many other itmes like these and takes up 2-3 pages with items such as these for say $1000 for the same newspaper $1000 for the plastiuc cup $1000 for a cheap pencil and so on and so on. This takes them to the top of the list and this is definatly trying to advertise in the catergory. If everyone wants this to happen and see real  sellers with real items to sell are pushed down then so be it. I believe this is wrong

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Customer Service

I do see what you're saying...to a point..I am a buyer ONLY..when I needed some Tampa Bay Bucs paper plates and cups, I searched by lowest price, lowest shipping..that way the higher priced items are at the end of my search..

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Customer Service

@inkakola wrote:

Yes I have examples but for the moment I will hold these to myself as I don’t wish to have issues with eBay. What I am saying is that as a buyer I have the right to view the category I wish without having to scroll down and get to real sellers and see what is truly available. If a seller wishes to place an outlandish price so they transit to the top of a category and so in my opinion cheap advertising with no chance of selling the item and I have to view 2-3 pages of this until I view items that are available now, and for real prices, then this is unacceptable and goes against true eBay policy.

You know you can set the price range you want to see so you dont see those big bad sellers you dont want to RIGHT?MAGIC.jpg

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Customer Service

Thank you emerald40 I did not know I could block a seller from my search. If you could do me the favour and let me know I would appreciate this. I don’t search cheapest price I look for collectables in magic etc across all categories of tricks and books and I would never purchase from them unless they are true sellers but as I said eBay is about real sellers, not using eBay to never sell an item but to be the first one seen. Example $1000 for a cheap magic DVD really why do this and items such as thgis goes on a on for a number of times. This over time just frustrates new people. Yes of course anyone can sell at whatever the price, but are you really saying when the truth is no one will buy at the ridiculous price for a generic item this is what eBay is meant to be. I have noticed lately that stores are using eBay to sell their items..OK this is OK but what tricks will they use to be seen first. Ebay never was meant to be like this at all and I believe has only dilutes the community of eBay if allowed to continue and its original true purpose.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Customer Service

After you put in your search words and hit enter -

Look to the prompts at the left (last one) and click "more refinements,"

Then click "seller"

Check "only show items from"

Check "specific sellers"

In the box near "exlude" type in the name of seller or sellers you do not want to come up"

Hit "apply"

And they are gone.

And if you are like me and will use this search often I put it in my "saved mail."

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Customer Service

@inkakola wrote:

Again I am not saying a seller cant place whatever price on an item, I have never said this. What I am saying is when you have a store item you can purchase for a few dollars anywhere and the same item and subsequent items from the seller are so out landish that it takes them to the top of a category then I do believe you have an issue. For example someone wants to sell a newspaper and a plastic cup...$1 for the paper $1 for the palstic cup...purchasable anywhere for these prices..nothing special about them. Now a seller has many other itmes like these and takes up 2-3 pages with items such as these for say $1000 for the same newspaper $1000 for the plastiuc cup $1000 for a cheap pencil and so on and so on. This takes them to the top of the list and this is definatly trying to advertise in the catergory. If everyone wants this to happen and see real  sellers with real items to sell are pushed down then so be it. I believe this is wrong

Still a completely ridiculous reason to try to report a seller. Especially considering that eBay controls the search results and you have several options to sort and filter so that they don't appear or appear at the end of the listings.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Customer Service

@sg51 wrote:

When you see a listing that inflates the price of purchase against others in the category to bring the seller to the top of it 

You're suggesting that too high a price should be considered a policy violation?

I think so - SMDH.  I do know that there will be a full moon soon 😉 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply