cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering buying a USPS P.O. Box to use as my "Ship from" and "Return address", is that kosher?

To use when selling some handmade craft items on my individual eBay account.

However, leaving my home address, name, phone number as my Registration address.

Just don't want that on shipping labels purchased from eBay.

TIA for any advice!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Considering buying a USPS P.O. Box to use as my "Ship from" and "Return address", is that kosher?

Kosher? Totally. Recommended? Totally

I have one, I can rent for 3 months (online set up only) or 6 months or 1yr.

3 months has a slight premium to it, 6 months and 1 year are the same effective rate except they give you a "free month" if you choose annual?... so I suppose a 12 month rental really lasts 13 months?

Anyway, I'm in a competitive market area and effectively pay $15/month. I think many areas are cheaper.. It's a huge win. If your business can support that expense, go for it!

ETA: get the smallest one possible. I have an XS one thats like 3"x5". I receive tons of packages there, even if I rented an XL for a ton more money it.would be pointless, they aren't going to fit a dozen packages in any PO Box they have so they get stuck in parcel lockers or behind the counter. No point in renting anything above the smallest available option.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Some sellers don't want buyers knowing their address, so they rent PO boxes for their ship from and return address..

Have a great day
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

That will work fine as long as you're using USPS for shipping.

If you start using other carriers you need to consider what will happen with undeliverable packages that are returned to sender. Some POs offer a service where you can use their street address along with your PO box.

https://postalpro.usps.com/mailing/competitivepoboxes

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Well, your phone number doesn't show on the shipping label. As for name etc, I use my company name as the return address. And, yes, it is my home address but that has never been an issue. In all the years I have been shipping no one has ever come banging on my door.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

P O Box fee monthly?....I guess if you have the money to spend...go for it. I spend enough as it is with monthly fees. And don't care if anyone knows my address. No one ever calls me. 

You should google your name on the computer and see what pops up...information that you might not want anyone to know but probably pops up easily.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

my phone number shows up on my UPS labels, not sure why and can't figure out to remove it. Don't care about address, just don't want any phone calls.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@yahoowherry wrote:

However, leaving my home address, name, phone number as my Registration address.

TIA for any advice!

You do not buy USPS PO boxes , you rent them. 

But that aside, of course you can use a PO box as an eBay shipping address. I've been doing it for 20+ years. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Kosher? Totally. Recommended? Totally

I have one, I can rent for 3 months (online set up only) or 6 months or 1yr.

3 months has a slight premium to it, 6 months and 1 year are the same effective rate except they give you a "free month" if you choose annual?... so I suppose a 12 month rental really lasts 13 months?

Anyway, I'm in a competitive market area and effectively pay $15/month. I think many areas are cheaper.. It's a huge win. If your business can support that expense, go for it!

ETA: get the smallest one possible. I have an XS one thats like 3"x5". I receive tons of packages there, even if I rented an XL for a ton more money it.would be pointless, they aren't going to fit a dozen packages in any PO Box they have so they get stuck in parcel lockers or behind the counter. No point in renting anything above the smallest available option.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@yahoowherry wrote:

TIA for any advice!

It's perfectly kosher to do so, and you would need only the smallest box to rent. If anything oversized comes to that PO Box address, they will leave a pickup slip in your box, and you bring that to the front desk when the PO lobby is open.

That said, I would agree with others that I doubt anyone is going to come to your home over issues with handmade craft items. I've been selling for almost 20 years without a single hint of that kind of thing ever happening. A PO Box can certainly be a good solution for other problems, such as having no safe place at home for high-value deliveries.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I agree, from a practical side, PO Box is best used if you are receiving deliveries especially high value ...

While it's unlikely anyone will come to your house ... not having your home address on your return label is peace of mind -- that's just priceless. 

I like the anonymity, my buyers don't get my home address, phone number or real/full name. All they need is my business front.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply