cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed from personal to business in middle of the year. Received only one 1099-K. Cant resolve.

From Jan to October, I was selling under my SSN as a sole proprietor. In October I got incorporated and switched the tax id on my ebay account from personal ssn to TIN number. Now I got a 1099-K for the full year under the business with my personal sales also going to the business. (Sales from Jan to Oct). The business didn't exist before October and I should have gotten a 1099-K under my social for Jan to Oct sales and 1099-K for the business from October to December. Ebay says only one 1099-K per account. How do I get this resolved? I have 20 plus years of ebay history and didnt want to start from scratch. Chatting and calling ebay has gotten me nowhere. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Changed from personal to business in middle of the year. Received only one 1099-K. Cant resolve.

As you found out it is best to have two accounts, one personal and one business, especially if one is a corporation.  Regardless, your accountant can tell you how to handle your current situation without much hassle.  If you have good accounting records and report things correctly the IRS will be happy.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Did you ever find a way to resolve this with eBay's customer support? I am considering doing the same thing as you (switching a personal account to business mid-year) but I may just wait until January 1st to do so.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Hello.  Did you ever get this resolved.  I just switched accounts and not sure what to expect. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

There is nothing ebay can resolve, it is still the same account.  You needed to open a second business account if you wanted a separate 1099.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@allthingssync wrote:

From Jan to October, I was selling under my SSN as a sole proprietor. In October I got incorporated and switched the tax id on my ebay account from personal ssn to TIN number. Now I got a 1099-K for the full year under the business with my personal sales also going to the business. (Sales from Jan to Oct). The business didn't exist before October and I should have gotten a 1099-K under my social for Jan to Oct sales and 1099-K for the business from October to December. Ebay says only one 1099-K per account. How do I get this resolved? I have 20 plus years of ebay history and didnt want to start from scratch. Chatting and calling ebay has gotten me nowhere. 

Q: If you started a listing under your persona SSN and it sold under another TIN, how would eBay know which ID you wanted to associate the sale with?

A: They can't. 

eBay does not "tag" each transaction with a taxpayer ID number. They issue a 1099-K for the Taxpayer ID number associated with the account at the time the 1099-K is generated. 

I do not think there is a way to resolve this except to account for it on your tax return. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply