cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Casual seller. Buyer messaged me Item stopped working after few days. How to handle refund

I just a casual seller. I had a brand new weather station that I sold for $15 and shipping was $9. Buyer said it worked fine for a few days but now humidity sensor no longer works. What's the best way to handle this....Have him return it?  Offer a refund of selling price, not shipping, and let him keep it? It's a lousy $15 item.  How to handle it? 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Casual seller. Buyer messaged me Item stopped working after few days. How to handle refund

It's up to you.

A) Issue the buyer a full refund (including shipping). Buyer does not have to send the item back.

B) Have the buyer start a NAD (not as describe) return through ebay.

You pay or the return shipping.  Refund the buyer when you get the item back.

C) Don't accept the return. Ebay will end up refunding the buyer with your funds

and the buyer will not have to return the item. You will also get a strike against you.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

so, the buyer paid 24 + tax....

it will cost you 9 to get it back

the item is 'worth' 15....and now it doesn't work....

Personally, I would make the buyer give it up if I 'suspected' they were trying to get it free. Give them a return label and when I get it back issue a full refund.....

If I believed them at all, I would just refund the purchase price and let them keep it....

depends on what you feel...it is not really a monetary decision (IMHO)

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Casual seller has no meaning online. This platform offers a money back guarantee to all buyers within 30 days.  You can always message the buyer and propose to simply refund them the $15 without the shipping and see what they say, but know the buyer is entitled to a full refund including shipping. If buyer opens an item not as described case, they will win hands down. Best of luck to you....

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

You can offer a partial refund if you want...since humidity sensor not working. I kinda think the buyer is looking for a partial refund....in that case you can exchange emails very businesslike. I would keep it if temperature is still working. I think the 9 bucks shipping is bothering this buyer.

Or refund seller everything...hope for good feedback...and block the buyer later.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

You can offer a partial refund if you want...since humidity sensor not working. I kinda think the buyer is looking for a partial refund....in that case you can exchange emails very businesslike.

I agree that it is more likely buyer remorse and he is seizing on an apparent failure but I really doubt there is any real problem.

Humidity sensors have been around forever and have no moving parts. I think its more likely that the buyer saw the reading adjust itself to the inside environment after he had unpacked it - but then its not likely to change much if at all over the short term if its sitting in a home or apartment with central air conditioning maintaining everything. I would gently suggest to him that he find a sheltered spot outside to temporarily place it, and then he should see the humidity reading change along with everything else.

Worst case scenario: ask him to blow gently into the vents in the back of the casing. That should get a response.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply