cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cashier's Checks?

I've been selling on Ebay for over 20 years .... and over time I've accepted a lot of different forms of payment.  But for quite a few years it's been only Paypal.  And now that eBay "transitioned" me over to managed payments last fall....... it's my understanding that as a seller of small trinkets and vintage toys/dolls, that I have no control or opinion over how my buyers pay.  eBay collects the money from them, lets me know when they have paid, and then eBay deposits the money in my bank account some amount of time after the transaction is completed.

So if a potential buyer writes me asking if I am willing to accept cashier's checks, the answer is "I have no control over that, please ask eBay what payment they accept."  ?  Right?  Asking for advice on what is the right way to answer that question.  Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Cashier's Checks?

Well, no, cashiers checks can be faked.  Plus they woould take too long to arrive.

Many many years ago, that's how eBay was run.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Cashier's Checks?

Right?

Right.

Cashier's Checks?

A few categories are allowed for cashier's checks.  Vintage toys/dolls isn't one of them.  It has not changed from Paypal.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/payment-policies/payment-methods-policy?id=4269

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Cashier's Checks?

I think you can accept them for local pickup. But would rather go with cash or maybe just pay through eBay.

To much can go wrong otherwise.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Cashier's Checks?

yeah, years ago people paid with Postal Money Orders, Cashiers checks even cash. but I dont know how that works with managed payments.  As far as I can tell, I have no control over how customers pay.  I just know when eBay deposits $ in my bank account.  Agreed that they can be faked!  Luckily I never had that happen back in the day

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Cashier's Checks?

I"ve considered doing local pickup for larger things... but never actually done it.

how does it work if someone wins an auction and chooses local pick up, shows up and hands me cash?  How do I report that to eBay and have the fees taken out when I'm on managed payments.?  I don't really understand how it works now that the ability for me to receive payments (paypal) directly has been removed from my control.  I see nothing but the deposit in my bank account.  I actually have no idea how customers pay, I assume it's paypal, but I wouldn't know any different if they paid with venmo, or cashapp.

maybe one day I will try the local pick up option.  I do have some large things......

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Cashier's Checks?

The appropriate answer to the buyer's question is that you do not accept cashier's checks as it is against eBay policy. Telling them they need to ask eBay will send them on a fool's errand.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Cashier's Checks?

My neighbor sold a golf cart from their front yard and were paid with a fake Cashier's Check.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Cashier's Checks?

@shisa_dolls wrote:

I"ve considered doing local pickup for larger things... but never actually done it.

how does it work if someone wins an auction and chooses local pick up, shows up and hands me cash?  How do I report that to eBay and have the fees taken out when I'm on managed payments.?  I don't really understand how it works now that the ability for me to receive payments (paypal) directly has been removed from my control.  I see nothing but the deposit in my bank account.  I actually have no idea how customers pay, I assume it's paypal, but I wouldn't know any different if they paid with venmo, or cashapp.

maybe one day I will try the local pick up option.  I do have some large things......

@shisa_dolls    https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/posting-items/setting-postage-options/local-pickup?id=4181

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Cashier's Checks?

how does it work if someone wins an auction and chooses local pick up, shows up and hands me cash? How do I report that to eBay and have the fees taken out when I'm on managed payments.?

You mark the item as Paid, which can be done manually for just this reason.

The fees eBay will calculate and charge you automatically once that Paid is marked.

Not that the buyer can also mark the transaction as Paid. And yes, there have been some scams based on that.

On the third hand, if the buyer didn't pickup, why would he mark it Paid?

And if the seller was not paid, why would he?

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Cashier's Checks?

Just to clarify, over here (AUS) any pick up item to be paid for in cash the buyer receives a code that they give the seller on pick up and payment so the sale is recorded and completed.

This protect both buyer and seller from any claims of non payment/non delivery. I think it is a Q something code??

Is it not done that way over in US ?

Just found this on US site: 

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/shipping-delivery/changing-delivery-address-method/local-pickup?id=...

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Cashier's Checks?

@downunder-61 wrote:

Just to clarify, over here (AUS) any pick up item to be paid for in cash the buyer receives a code that they give the seller on pick up and payment so the sale is recorded and completed.

This protect both buyer and seller from any claims of non payment/non delivery. I think it is a Q something code??

Is it not done that way over in US ?

QR code, which I was all excited about until someone at eBay, when questioned why it's not working, say "Oh...heh heh...we haven't finished that yet."  I'm wondering if it is, indeed, working yet.  I haven't had any local pickups lately to know.

— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Cashier's Checks?

Entirely up to you what you tell ebay.  

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Cashier's Checks?

as far as the rules go you are not supposed to ask for them

if a buyer says will you take a check or money order the answer used to be yes

we were now allowed to ask for them but accepting it was OK fo a long while

lots of old men do not trust paypal so they insist on using a check or MO

I would never tell them no...........why put up roadblocks to getting something  done

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 15 of 15
latest reply