cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Change Individual Account to Business Account

Hello,

I went to Account Settings >> Personal Information >> Account Type: Individual

There is no edit link to the right of that to change to a business account.

Why am I not allowed to switch to a business account?

Can I create a new eBay account?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

You can absolutely create a new account, and it might be the quickest option for you.  I don't know why it's not letting you edit your current one, but eBay doesn't care how many accounts you have as long as none of them get suspended for any reason (then they'll suspend them all).

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Update...

I found another individual who had the same issue, no edit link to switch to a Business Account, and he was able to resolve it as follows...

"So I just went through the managed payments setup process and listed an item. The edit button is now visible. Hopefully this helps the next person struggling to find an answer! Thanks again, rfmtm!"

--------

I went to My eBay >> Payment Information >> Add payment option.

I entered my credit card, billing address, and clicked save but still no edit link to switch to the business account.

It appears I must list an item first to make the edit link appear so that I can switch to the Business Account.

Does this make sense?

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

You need a checking account for managed payments. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@ebooksdiva wrote:

You need a checking account for managed payments. 

And if you are opening a business account, you must use a business checking account.  You can't have personal checking on a business account.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea... Why must I have a business account right now when eBay is giving me the option to sign up as a Sole Proprietor and use my SSN?

According to you, I must get an EIN right now to get a business account at my bank. This will come later. But for now, I'm the Sole Proprietor that the IRS describes below without all the other stuff...

"A sole proprietor without employees who isn’t required to file any excise tax return and hasn’t established a pension, profit-sharing, or retirement plan doesn't need an EIN (but can get one). In this instance, the sole proprietor uses his or her social security number (instead of an EIN) as the taxpayer identification number. However, at any time the sole proprietor hires an employee, needs to file an employment or excise tax return, or is establishing a pension, profit-sharing, or retirement plan, the sole proprietor will need an EIN for the business and can't use his or her social security number."

And doesn't eBay send all sellers whether Sole Proprietors or Corporations the 1099 form when making $600 or more?

I'm relatively new to selling on eBay and perhaps I'm wrong but a lot of people appear to be entering their personal checking accounts. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Pretty sure you're right.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@kangaroo1955 wrote:

@southern*sweet*tea... Why must I have a business account right now when eBay is giving me the option to sign up as a Sole Proprietor and use my SSN?

According to you, I must get an EIN right now to get a business account at my bank. This will come later. But for now, I'm the Sole Proprietor that the IRS describes below without all the other stuff...

"A sole proprietor without employees who isn’t required to file any excise tax return and hasn’t established a pension, profit-sharing, or retirement plan doesn't need an EIN (but can get one). In this instance, the sole proprietor uses his or her social security number (instead of an EIN) as the taxpayer identification number. However, at any time the sole proprietor hires an employee, needs to file an employment or excise tax return, or is establishing a pension, profit-sharing, or retirement plan, the sole proprietor will need an EIN for the business and can't use his or her social security number."

And doesn't eBay send all sellers whether Sole Proprietors or Corporations the 1099 form when making $600 or more?

I'm relatively new to selling on eBay and perhaps I'm wrong but a lot of people appear to be entering their personal checking accounts. 

I've never had a business account here (I used to sell full time) and have always been a sole prop with a personal checking account attached. I've gotten the usual 1099 tax forms and filed as sole prop. Not sure if that helps.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

BTW... When I created my eBay Business account, a message appeared as follows: "If you're a sole proprietor registering under your own name, you'll only need to provide personal and bank information."

There is nothing that says I must have a business banking account right now.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Here's some information on why you might not see the option to switch to a business account, and what steps you can take:

1. Managed Payments:

eBay's Managed Payments system often requires sellers to set up Managed Payments before switching to a business account.

Check if you've enrolled in Managed Payments. If not, complete the process first.

2. Location Restrictions:

Business accounts might not be available in all countries or regions.

Contact eBay support to confirm availability in your location.

3. Account Restrictions:

eBay might restrict certain accounts from switching based on factors like selling history or performance.

Contact eBay support to inquire about any restrictions on your account.

4. Technical Issues:

Sometimes, technical glitches can temporarily hide options.

Try clearing your browser cache and cookies, or try a different browser.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Interesting.  I was always told that a business account must use a business checking account. 

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 11 of 11
latest reply