cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation

I have been selling again lately and seeing a new trend. I think it is buyers remorse maybe? Anyway someone wins an auction and within a day or two requests cancellation. I had a non-payer that I contacted and finally pressed nonpayment. Their response was cancel please. I did not because it had been a week and I was mad. Another lady requested a cancelation within 24 hours no letter to explain why nothing. Then I asked and she said sorry she bought by mistake. NOW I got a person that demanded I shipped the package in 48 hours. On my auction it clearly states 3 days to ship. I have a full time job as does my husband and we make it within 3 days usually. But sometimes it gets busy during lunch and might be 4. This paticular person said 48 hours. I emailed them and said it would be sent out today. My husband had a dentist appointment yesterday. Now Today I get a cancelation notice and a request to refund because I didn't ship in 48 hours. Is this something that is becoming a trend? It kind of makes me made because the auction is 7 days then you got to get them to respond and then they request cancellation. Then you have to repost again and try to sell again.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Cancellation

It's because when they go to the auction after it is over, it shows them more chances to win the same item, but often the items are 1/2 what they just agreed to buy yours for, so they cancel with you and buy the item ebay's shown them, for 1/2 what you sold it to them for, often from China whose govt subsidizes shipping so they can ship to US for free while it costs us $4.50 for a pound in first class  or $6.65 for a flat rate envelope.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Cancellation

Shippig here is killing us on competition.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Cancellation

That is why auctions can be a problem.

It gives people a week to think over the purchase and or find something they like better or cheaper.

IMO, auctions should only be for special one of a kind items that cannot be bought elsewhere and therefore generate true interest so the winner is not apt to change their mind.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Cancellation

That's a lot of cancellations/Unpaid Items.

Start with the cancellations.

You can list as Fixed Price/Immediate Payment Required. Then the listing remains live until someone pays.

You can stop listing used cosmetics. I suspect that some of those cancellations were after an order on a mobile followed by reading the ENTIRE description on a desktop or laptop.

Have you looked at your listings on  mobile? The information seen  is very different.

You can open Unpaid Item Disputes instead of accepting cancellations. These give the deadbeat a Strike.

Slower than cancellation, but you do all sellers , including yourself a service.

Put an automatic Block on deadbeats with Strikes on your Seller Preferences.

You can change your shipping time to seven days.

You can end your auctions so that you have time to package and buy a shipping label on weekends. You can package at the end of the auction, and print the label and ship when paid.

With a label you can drop the parcel into a postbox, no need to go to the PO. Or drop it on the counter without lining up. 

Over 85% of transactions are now Fixed Price, not auction.

Over 505 of transactions involve a mobile device at some point.

Those are the two biggest changes on eBay in the past five years.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply