cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send pre-payment invoices anymore

When I sell multiple items to one buyer, I used to be able to send them an invoice (before they paid) with combined shipping. I haven't been able to do this for quite some time now. When someone buys multiple items at once, I have to send them a partial refund to adjust the shipping cost. 

Why is sending an invoice no longer an option?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

You could only send an invoice IF the buyer has added all the items to their Cart and then clicked on the Request Total button.

The problem is this:

a) the Request Total button is NOT available using the App

b) the Request Total button is frequently not available on the desktop, it can be disabled by eBay for reasons only eBay knows and they mostly deny that it even happens (but it absolutely does).

This entire issues started in 2012 and was part of an eBay plan to reduce non-payments, in around 2013/14 eBay removed all references to this concept but the process remains, the Request Total button is not always available to buyers.

In 2022(or 2021?) eBay finally started refunding pro-rated fees on partial refunds so while not ideal at least the fee issue went away.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Never had a problem with buyers unable to request an invoice until recently. I have attributed it of app use, and so far the buyers have confirmed that.

I have no problem issuing partial refunds so I really do not mind.

I am uneasy with orders placed using the app anyway because I fear the buyers have not read the description or looked at more images other than the first.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

At one time, it wasn't possible to combine shipping when a freight forwarder was being used.

Is this still the case now?

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

At one time, it wasn't possible to combine shipping when a freight forwarder was being used.

@soh.maryl 

It wasn't a freight forwarder issue, but rather an eBay issue with the old Global Shipping program and subsequently their EIS program.  eBay says you can combine the EIS shipping now, but combining ANY orders now seems to be a problem even for domestic orders. 

Those seller settings and forced buyer enrollment that required a buyer to put up a payment source in order to make an offer or bid were combined shipping killers.  Now all seller generated offers will be "immediate payment required" which serves to do the same thing. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply