cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can other sellers hear the alarm bells ringing on this buyer's message?

Yesterday I received this message from a buyer:  

"Want to return. Not what we wanted. Overpriced. Want money back and return shipping label. Also, damaged during shipping."

The item was an inexpensive paperback, which USPS had delivered at the buyer's home at 4:54 PM.  The buyer had sent me this email at 7:05 PM -- slightly over two hours later.

Notice that the buyer had provided THREE different reasons for the return -- "Not what we wanted" and "Overpriced" and "damaged during shipping."

Doncha think the buyer would have been able to decide whether or not it was something that they wanted BEFORE placing the order?!?  And my prices aren't hidden anywhere, plus I didn't force the buyer to make the purchase -- so, if the buyer thought that it was overpriced, why bother making the purchase?!?

Finally -- anyone who has ever purchased books from me (especially single items) knows that I package my books like miniature bricks -- no cheap, flimsy envelopes and no loose edges -- just a very solid slab, for which I have received compliments from both buyers and USPS.  Ain't no way my shipment was damaged during shipping, unless my package was Ground Zero for an atomic bomb blast.

Not impossible -- just improbable.

But the buyer did not open an eBay request for return -- simply demanding a refund and a shipping label.

I questioned the buyer regarding the damage, emphasizing the very solid nature of my shipments, and that I could not comprehend how any conceivable damage could have penetrated my package.  To which the buyer stated: 

Package was torn and book was ripped. Please supply return label and I will return it for refund

But still no official eBay return request.

My follow-up message re-emphasized the sturdiness of my packages, plus a request for front and rear close-up photos of the book itself, to compare the book in question with the book that I had sent.  At the same time, I informed the buyer that each of the books which I sell has very small, very minute identifiers hidden inside, to prevent issues with postal fraud, in the case of individuals who may decide to switch their old, beat-up books for one of mine.

And, for the last several hours -- silence.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

You're a seasoned pro...

Stop communication. 

Wait for a return request and accept.

Hope for the best

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

But still no official eBay return request.

@1786davycrockett 

So... still nothing required on your part. Silence is golden, no? 🙂

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

@1786davycrockett wrote:

And, for the last several hours -- silence.

I think you've conveyed your point by now, so just stop communicating unless an actual return claim is opened, after which you know what to do.

I have on rare occasions had similar buyers and, long story short, I got the distinct impression from the wording (and/or the item they had bought) that they routinely send out the same complaint for everything they buy, in the hopes that the seller will panic and refund right away, without requiring a return or opening a case.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

@jerseyboymusic wrote:

You're a seasoned pro...

Stop communication. 

Wait for a return request and accept.

Hope for the best

THIS Exactly!
  And yeah, anybody that gives half a dozen complaints when only one is needed?  They up to no good.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

I'd skip all of the buyer's fluff and just tell them to open a return. Who knows what's rattling around in their mind, but we're pretty stuck insofar as returns go.

ETA: They may not be on eBay right now - but ball would be in their court.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Quoth William Shakespeare:  "And the rest is silence."

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

No open claim at this point...I would not email the buyer anymore.

Unless, depending how item was mailed whether by eBay shipping or just the USPS....by USPS...might want to reconsider what you do for a feedback response.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Just waiting for the next shoe to drop.

Unless the buyer has realized that they've run out of shoes. . ..

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Bulsh buyer. Wait until the return request doesn't arrive, which it will.

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

No open claim at this point...I would not email the buyer anymore.

Unless, depending how item was mailed whether by eBay shipping or just the USPS....by USPS...might want to reconsider what you do for a feedback response.

Agreed. The only thing I would do at this point is to add this person to my BBL. 

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Quite a little laundry list. It's a wonder they didn't cite "smells like mold" and "bad plot".

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 12 of 24
latest reply

wouldn't respond - maybe the time to file a claim will lapse and then your problem will be solved

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

I never go back and forth with buyers though I don't get many questionable returns. When I do,

No matter what they say, they get:

"Sorry you are not pleased with your purchase.  Please return for refund."

Nothing more, nothing less.

Toss the ball in their court, see what they do if anything. 

Posting ID
Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Day Two --

In the words of Paul Simon -- "Hello silence, my old friend. . .."

Message 15 of 24
latest reply