cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers not able to Request Total from Seller

I have now had three different buyers, all three who are experienced ebay buyers of many years, repeat buyers of mine for many years who have now told me that after adding items to their cart they can not Request Total from Seller. 

After asking some questions of the buyers it seems that this is only happening for sellers who have applied their promotional shipping rule for shipping discounts. This seems to only happen when they have won some auctions and have other auctions going and then want to add items to their cart. After adding items to their cart the Request Total from Seller link becomes unclickable with the circle i info icon next to it that says something like unable to request total because you have already received a discount.

It's totally frustrating as the buyer experience seems to get worse and worse on ebay. I have had buyers tell me as much and it is obvious by reading these boards. Now a longtome customer of mine who probably spends around $1000 to $2000 a year and has been buying from me for over 12 years says he is done. He is tired of the extra steps it takes , the glitches, the changes that seemingly no ebay users thinks improves the site are implemented. I now spend multiple hours on a regular basis trying to help navigate customers through the glitches and such.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Nope. My two sellers did not have promotional shipping rates but I still couldn’t request a total. My only option was checkout.

otoh I have bought two things lately where they allowed me to commit without checking out. Now I never know what to expect.

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

Were you able to commit without checking out by adding them to cart or BIN?
Message 3 of 29
latest reply

Just curious...were any of the items in your buyers shopping carts on sale by any chance? It seems that if you use markdown manager to put items on sale it contributes to the shopping cart issue. BTW...the shopping cart glitches have been going on for over a year and ebay does know about them and won`t fix them.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 4 of 29
latest reply

@the_sports_page wrote:

I have now had three different buyers, all three who are experienced ebay buyers of many years, repeat buyers of mine for many years who have now told me that after adding items to their cart they can not Request Total from Seller. 

After asking some questions of the buyers it seems that this is only happening for sellers who have applied their promotional shipping rule for shipping discounts. This seems to only happen when they have won some auctions and have other auctions going and then want to add items to their cart. After adding items to their cart the Request Total from Seller link becomes unclickable with the circle i info icon next to it that says something like unable to request total because you have already received a discount.

It's totally frustrating as the buyer experience seems to get worse and worse on ebay. I have had buyers tell me as much and it is obvious by reading these boards. Now a longtome customer of mine who probably spends around $1000 to $2000 a year and has been buying from me for over 12 years says he is done. He is tired of the extra steps it takes , the glitches, the changes that seemingly no ebay users thinks improves the site are implemented. I now spend multiple hours on a regular basis trying to help navigate customers through the glitches and such. sportspage - unquote ----------------------------------

See this is what I've been talking about . There's way too many glitches in e bays system  lately  from things like  the no views malfunction , searches being  effected , contacting buyer problems , people unable to access this forum ,, the issue here you just presented and so on  and so on . Some people think all this is just minor stuff ,, nothing to be concerned about and maybe thats true individually speaking  . However when you put them all together it  could be painting  a bigger picture  that something much worse is happening . I personally suspect they've just messed with the site too much . One hand doesn't know what the other is doing . All these new '' improvements '' may not be improvements at all . Or to reinerate a previous comment ,, its as if the three stooges have been trying to remove a nest of squrriels  out of e bays wiring . tulips 

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

None of the items were on sale. As a matter of fact, I currently do not have any items on sale.
Message 6 of 29
latest reply

@hillbillymedia wrote:

Just curious...were any of the items in your buyers shopping carts on sale by any chance? It seems that if you use markdown manager to put items on sale it contributes to the shopping cart issue. BTW...the shopping cart glitches have been going on for over a year and ebay does know about them and won`t fix them.

None of the items were on sale. In fact, I do not currently have any items on sale. 

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

The two i could commit to without paying were single items and I checked out without the cart. I haven’t had a purchase go that way for a while

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

@the_sports_page wrote:
None of the items were on sale. As a matter of fact, I currently do not have any items on sale.

I stopped using markdown manager completley and it seemed to help me which is why I was asking. I also went in and set all my combined shipping rules up with different profiles. For instance....I charge flat rate shipping on everything. My comics are set up a@ $3.97 and .50 each additional. My video games are set up at $3.47 and $1.97 each additional. To the best of my knowledge I haven`t had any issues with the cart since I set it all up properly but I have no way to confirm that.

You are probably already aware but....over a year ago ebay implemented "immediate payment required"for all Buy it now items under $1000. That is when "it" hit the fan and it`s been a mess ever since for most folks that A) charge for shipping B) want to combined those shipping charges for their buyers.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 9 of 29
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

Nope. My two sellers did not have promotional shipping rates but I still couldn’t request a total. My only option was checkout.

otoh I have bought two things lately where they allowed me to commit without checking out. Now I never know what to expect.

Two other reasons it won't allow request total are that the seller has checked in their settings that they don't combine shipping.  Now it would seem logical that if they say they do they would check that they do but many I've come across think if they check yes to combined shipping they have to set up the shipping discounts in advance because of the way the way it's set up so they check no.   The other is if the selle checks IPR it won't allow the request total then because technically it would override the sellers IPR setting 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 10 of 29
latest reply

The two i could commit to without paying were single items and I checked out without the cart

That is truly amazing.  The "commit to buy and continue shopping with this seller" for the most part seems to have been removed from the site as an option to use.  It was simple, worked just fine, and ebay dispensed with it over time in favor of the fiasco going on for the past couple of years. 

There was a list of things published on this board that makes the "request total" button in the cart not operable.  I looked, but cannot find it.  I know some posters copied it and hopefully can provide the said list.   I know that if any of the items are 'on sale', have IPR, etc. it makes the cart not function as one would like.  

As mentioned, ebay has been rolling out their "invisible" immediate payment required on items under 1K$.  The Bin may be there with no sign of IPR, but again you are taken directly to checkout.  Continuing to shop with that seller for a combined order is not an option.  If you want the item, you'd better pay right then.  That is annoying.   The "invisible" IPR was supposedly initialted to "cut down on Non-paying buyers".   

I have a seller I buy from regularly.  Thank goodness is at auction, for I can request a total after the fact and NOT have to deal with the cart.  Or so I thought... The "request total" button puts up a red banner saying "this seller does not combine shipping"  which is a total lie.  I just wait for my "invoice" and all is good. 

eBay staff who post here insist there is nothing wrong with the cart and it is working as intended.  Yes,  it is working to provide eBay with a bit more money when a buyer is forced to pay for each item seperately for whatever reason. 

A seller cannot see what is in a buyer's cart.  They cannot send you an invoice based on that if the "request total" or "request invoice" feature is not operable.  

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

brian@ebay  @jmb344  eBay continues to step over $$ to pick up pennies on this.  Please continue to push to have the request invoice button always available.  It's ridiculous for us as sellers to lose sale after sale because the buyer can't request an invoice for a combined item discount.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 12 of 29
latest reply

Just bought another commit to buy listing. So my multiple cart purchase require immediate payment but my single purchases don’t.

makes sense right? Lol

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Just bought another commit to buy listing. 

I wonder if it is 'category specific'?   No need to post what you are buying to be sure, but keep an eye out.  On the other hand this may be a  "buyer specific" issue.  I will post back if I EVER find the commit to buy option again. 

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

Vintage collectibles have had the commit. Cloth8ng items did not but they were yesterday and I’m unsure when this started. I will come back and post when I buy more things. 

Message 15 of 29
latest reply