cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants to directly send me credit card info...

This is a new one, just curious if you folks think the guy is just in left field, or possibly some new scam.

Sold an item, paypal checks out as paid. Buyer has over a year of feedback with no red flags. he sent this message (complete with his email address which I have redacted):

"EBay automatically used an out of date VISA card and need to give the current credit card for this order, Can phone you or email you.  xxxxxxxxx@aol.com"

I politely replied that I have no way of accepting or processing a credit card myself, but since it already went through Paypal, would he like me to go ahead and ship it? Or I can cancel at his request and relist it so he can use corrected cc info via paypal.

I just see no way that e-Bay could "automatically use" an out of date CC, especially since it went through PP and the payment shows as complete (I would think PP would have flagged the date if it was expired).

I am also surprised that I didnt get one of those warning messages from eBay about contact info being shared, since he included his off e-bay e-mail address. (and no, I did not give him mine or my phone #).

He hasnt responded yet. Your thoughts? 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

@varebelrose wrote: ... I have no way of accepting or processing a credit card myself, but since it already went through Paypal, would he like me to go ahead and ship it? Or I can cancel at his request and relist it so he can use corrected cc info via paypal.

I just see no way that e-Bay could "automatically use" an out of date CC, especially since it went through PP and the payment shows as complete ...

Of course it wouldn't go through if the card had expired.

Did you double-check to make sure that the message was actually from the same ID as your buyer? There's a growing scam in which sellers are contacted with an alternate ship-to address by somebody who isn't even the original buyer. But usually that's directed at newbie sellers who of course are more easily confused and misled.

Since today is Saturday, you don't have to hurry to decide about shipping, so you can wait at least 24 hours to see if you hear anything from the buyer or from PayPal before you have to decide whether to cancel or ship..

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Paypal won't automatically use an expired credit card. The transaction will automatically be declined with no payment showing on your end.  Been there, done that when my debit card expired and I forgot to add in my new expiration date. The transaction will not go through at all, not on the buyer's side and not on the seller's side.

Make sure the message is actually from your buyer and not an impersonator. Sounds like you're being set up to be scammed somehow.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

The message sender did match up to the buyer, so I think it was legitimately him. At any rate, right after I posted, he sent a cancel request, which I accepted and he has been refunded. I guess I will see if he buys again, hopefully this time with all his info updated.

My wife swears that eBay does "tests" sometimes on sellers to see if they will do anything against the rules. I don't know if I believe that, but if they do, this is what I would expect.

Anyways, happy holidays!

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Glad it worked out okay!

So Paypal is now processing expired cards. Swell, just swell. unamused  Hopefully it was a one-time glitch of some sort.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@varebelrose wrote:

This is a new one, just curious if you folks think the guy is just in left field, or possibly some new scam.

Sold an item, paypal checks out as paid. Buyer has over a year of feedback with no red flags. he sent this message (complete with his email address which I have redacted):

"EBay automatically used an out of date VISA card and need to give the current credit card for this order, Can phone you or email you.  xxxxxxxxx@aol.com"

I politely replied that I have no way of accepting or processing a credit card myself, but since it already went through Paypal, would he like me to go ahead and ship it? Or I can cancel at his request and relist it so he can use corrected cc info via paypal.

I just see no way that e-Bay could "automatically use" an out of date CC, especially since it went through PP and the payment shows as complete (I would think PP would have flagged the date if it was expired).

I am also surprised that I didnt get one of those warning messages from eBay about contact info being shared, since he included his off e-bay e-mail address. (and no, I did not give him mine or my phone #).

Interesting...I had a buyer contact me on Wednesday saying that they accidentally used a credit card, through PayPal, that had been canceled.  The item was already shipped and received by the buyer.  The PayPal transaction looks fine on my end.  The buyer was only contacting me to make sure that I was paid.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@varebelrose wrote:

I read a post by a blue (and reposted by others) that explained what a seller needs to do to protect themselves, after they receive contact info from a buyer in eBay messages containing their email address/phone number, etc.

It was posted that a seller needs to respond with certain words -- something along the lines of -- "eBay's policy is that we not share any of our personal contact info because all transactions must be kept on eBay"  or something like that.    

Glad you haven't received a warning.  

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Very strange. Had the card been cancelled or did it expire? Canceled cards might still go through if their credit card company did something wrong when closing out the card. Now the expired cards... I would be surprised if those worked at all. When I've had cards on my PP that I was never going to update, as they were about to expire they started sending me messages every day. Your card is about to expire, add a new card, etc... and it has never even let it go so far as to process the card if I've tried to use it, it just tells me "this card is expired". I don't understand how anyone is getting anything to go through on an expired card.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Yes, along those lines.

I only sell and communicate on Ebay.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@cherry*fizz wrote:

Very strange. Had the card been cancelled or did it expire? Canceled cards might still go through if their credit card company did something wrong when closing out the card. Now the expired cards... I would be surprised if those worked at all. When I've had cards on my PP that I was never going to update, as they were about to expire they started sending me messages every day. Your card is about to expire, add a new card, etc... and it has never even let it go so far as to process the card if I've tried to use it, it just tells me "this card is expired". I don't understand how anyone is getting anything to go through on an expired card.

The buyer said that the card was cancelled.  The buyer did say that they were going to contact the bank.  I probably will not hear from the buyer again unless they feel that I did not get my money, as that seemed to be what concerned them the most.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

Glad it worked out okay!

So Paypal is now processing expired cards. Swell, just swell. unamused  Hopefully it was a one-time glitch of some sort.

Recently I saw a  notification on the PayPal site that I needed to update the expiration on one of my cards , but when I didn't do so, PayPal latter let me know they did it for me.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply