cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants shipping waived - "didn't notice" it wasn't free - mixed messages

My buyer sent a note less than one hour before auction-end saying his bid was a mistake and meant to watch instead so he could try to purchase later when he has the funds.  Then in a follow up message, he says he "didn't notice" the shipping was $50 and asked if I could waive it - he only has the price of the item.  So first he says he didn't have the funds, then says he only has the exact price of the item, but didn't notice the shipping. 

I indicated that it wasn't listed as free shipping. Also, that the shipping is as stated and listed as it is given past shipping for similar items and distance. 

I had 9 watchers on this going into the final hour, too.  (I had to go offline before end of auction. Since it was within 12 hours of auction-end, I didn't think it necessary that I stalk my message board, esp. when this has never happened before. In other words, try not to blame the victim here, folks.)

Your thoughts.  Thanks in advance for your insight. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@stoicbeagle11 wrote:

My buyer sent a note less than one hour before auction-end saying his bid was a mistake and meant to watch instead so he could try to purchase later when he has the funds.  Then in a follow up message, he says he "didn't notice" the shipping was $50 and asked if I could waive it - he only has the price of the item.  So first he says he didn't have the funds, then says he only has the exact price of the item, but didn't notice the shipping. 

I indicated that it wasn't listed as free shipping. Also, that the shipping is as stated and listed as it is given past shipping for similar items and distance. 

I had 9 watchers on this going into the final hour, too.  (I had to go offline before end of auction. Since it was within 12 hours of auction-end, I didn't think it necessary that I stalk my message board, esp. when this has never happened before. In other words, try not to blame the victim here, folks.)

Your thoughts.  Thanks in advance for your insight. 

If I had happen to see the message before the auction ended, I would have cancelled their bid and then blocked the ID.

You do not have to waive shipping fees that are clearly stated ever. Good grief what a silly numpty buyer:(

If this person won, I would just file the unpaid item dispute in 2 days, close in 4 more and block the ID.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

The time for the buyer to negotiate price was before the end of the auction.

You could ask if he wants to cancel the purchase since he doesnt like the terms of sale, or wait and file the unpaid item strike.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

In this case it's on the buyer to pay the total amount.  However this has the sounds of a trainwreck in the making.  (SNAD return/refund, chargeback etc).

I would either file a UPI as soon as possible, or if you're in a more forgiving mood send the buyer a message stating that you will not waive the shipping as it was on the listing.  Tell him that if he requests you are willing to cancel the transaction.  If he asks to cancel the transaction you can use the "buyer requested cancellation" as the reason and you don't get a strike.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

First of all I have no idea how one 'accidentally' bids on something.  You have

to enter a bid amount and then reconfirm it before the bid is accepted.

Second, you're under no obligation to waive shipping since it's clearly stated.

I agree with the others - your best options right now are to either see if the

buyer wants to cancel the transaction (if you want to be nice about it) or to let

it go to an unpaid item case.

This isn't a customer you want.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply