cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants a return when no return offered

Let me explain.

I sold 2 jacket worth $8000 to a buyer with zero feedback who btw lives in new zealand.  The jacket are from the late 60's early 70's and are considered art.  Anyhow after long dilebration i

Shipped both the jacket to buyer at a loss of $300 to me for havinng 3 day delivery with signature and insurance to cover full cost.

Heres my dilema, almost a month later buyer has just contacted me stating they want to return as the items are too small, buyer then states the smell is unpleasent.  These are close to 50 years old and will not smell new, they smell old and anyone who would buy them should of known that. 

Have i any chance of fighting this?  My other concern is the jackets may not even come back to me and some junk might? 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Previous thread:  https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/what-would-you-do/td-p/28184711/jump-to/first-unread-message

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Through eBay a buyer can open a Dispute for 30 days after delivery.

almost a month later buyer has just contacted me

Is 'almost a month' more or less than 30 days from delivery?

If it is more, he cannot dispute through eBay.

If it is less, he can open a Not As Described dispute and eBay will insist that you send him a Return Shipping Label.

Or he can open a Buyer Remorse dispute and return the jackets at his own expense.

Given the value of the jackets *, the returns must be with Signature Confirmation or the delivery will not be considered confirmed and no refund required.

BUT

Paypal allows Disputes for up to 180 days from Payment.

However, PP always requires that the Buyer return the items (if the seller demands it) at the buyer's own expense.

BUT

There is such a thing as a credit card chargeback. Those are viscious.

Here's what I think you should do for the best outcome.

Tell the buyer to return the jackets for a full refund.

Do NOT offer return shipping.

Phone Customer Service and ask for a case to be opened and get the case number.

If he returns the jackets and they are fine, refund, relist, resell.

And put the flake on your Blocked Bidder List.

If he balks at spending his own money to return the jackets, be firm.

Until he opens a Not As Described case. Which he can do within that 30 day limit.

Now if he goes to Paypal, either because he doesn't realize he could go to eBay or because he is too late, he will be forced to pay the return shipping.

He may not want to.

But no returns, no refunds.

His worst in that case is to leave feedback. Feedback does not get used to asssess your selling account by eBay.

But while you can Respond to any Feedback, the only ones who will read it is your future customers, so stay classy. Calm and factual is the most effective.

* Did they actually sell for $8000 or is that an appraised value by an expert?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Since you have private feedback, I am going to assume you rarely sell.

In such a case, you should not be selling overseas at all.

Not that the buyers are more sketchey, but because problems are harder to work out.

At least Kiwis speak English.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

With regards to the value, i would consider myself a good source for the value, i've been dealing in these jacket for years now. 

Why i'm thinking i might have some chance of fighting, the buyer opened the return request stating the jackets were too small, even though measurments were listed in description.   They then proceeded to state there was an old umpleasent smell that they didnt care for.   

There is the chance i receive something back without the jackets i sold, then what?

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Ive been selling on here since 2003 with over 7000 transactions. 

And yes you're right i should of been more cautious to where i ship.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Just select return for refund and express to them to be sure and package them well for their return trip... Don't go into any details about anything else...

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

This is a remorse return. You have this in eBay messages, right?

Did they open a request? Don't do anything unless they open a request. If they open a request for a remorse return, if you have a no returns policy, you can deny it. They will probably contest the amount with Paypal.

If it's a remorse return, they can pay for shipping to send it back if you approve it.

If your jackets are "art", then them being too small is nonsense. I didn't look at the listing, but I assume "art" is not going to have fit dimensions in the listing. I'm also going to point out if your buyer did pay the 3K import, it's unlikely they will get that back. This leads me to believe you might not see those jackets again... hopefully they send nothing back and you can get this closed in your favour.

But you aren't out of the woods yet, they still have 180 days to file with Paypal, and possibly a credit card chargeback with their bank.

Don't do any back and forth, if you're going to approve the return, just do it through eBay. You can do as bubbleman suggested and ask them to "please package them well". Talking too much will work against you.

Cheers, C

Message 8 of 8
latest reply