cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer trying to scam me, any thoughts

So I have a buyer who bought a sony handycam from me. They wanted it shipped that day and I did. We live in the same state so they got it within a day.  Upon receiving it they sent me a message saying it was damaged.  .  I replied that I wanted pictures of the damaged box so I could start a case with the post office and offered my apology for the damage. I quickly received a negative and was accused of sending the wrong camara. They sent me pictures of a damaged camara with different serial numbers. (this was the only camara I had for sale). I take pictures of serial numbers on all items.

They sent the camara back to me (the wrong camara) and looking at the damage I saw that the camara bag had no damage, It looked like it was dragged on the floor. Ebay is taking a long time to review this case and I hear horror stories about the buyer is always right.  I've been doing this for 22 years and they have been on for only 2 months.  This is a $165 sale.  Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Thoughts?

Bad buyers happen. Sellers  are supposed to know that and price items to recoup your losses from those bad buyers.  Hopefully you won't get many false claims or buyers switching items. But still report the buyer.

as far as refunds, eBay doesn't  decide case by case. They think the customer is always right and you will be forced to refund. 

You can appeal due to them returning a different item and it might get you a $6 voucher for a shipping label. Or rarely, they might give you a one-time courtesy refund.

Message 2 of 46
latest reply

Imagine getting a $6 voucher for a $3000 diamond ring sale.  I had to do this once with a $1500 commercial dehumidifier.  I had to file a police report and send that into Ebay after the appeal to get ebay to return my money.  

Message 3 of 46
latest reply

What you did to protect yourself was absolutely correct, but Ebay has a tendency to side with buyers, no matter what the circumstance. They will also break their own rules by refunding before items are returned. If your lucky, they will side with you, if your proof is rock hard, but that's a big if. If you have any expensive items to sell, always check the buyers feedback first.

Message 4 of 46
latest reply

Buyer had a feedback of 2. And only on eBay for 2 months.

Sometimes we sellers are taken advantage of and it sounds like this with you.

Do you get the word review "pending" by eBay? That means months if anything happens.

A return with tracking from buyer is hard to fight....even if you got a box of rocks returned.

Buyer knew what they were doing. Buyer can still come around and do a credit card dispute if they lose.

I would take it as a loss and move on.

It is a new buyer and if this buyer has a history...even if its short...a bad history...the cards could this be in your favor. Depends what this buyer has done in the past or the future since your claim is still pending.

Photos...emails...calls to CS won't really help.

Message 5 of 46
latest reply

I second this.  I dont put up with any shenanigans anymore.  If I sell something and do a return I just file with the post office and the police dept in their city.  I have done it in the past and am sure I will do it in the future.  I am getting ready to go after one of the shipping companies for fraud as well.  Dont be afraid to report these people to the proper authorities.  If they did it once they have done it many times.

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 6 of 46
latest reply

Bad buyer Report such buyers

Message 7 of 46
latest reply

You say the scam buyer is in your state. For a $150 sale, it might be worth it to you to file a police report and a small claims court case there in Florida, especially if you have the serial number and all the other support you may need in court. This would include your 22-year history on eBay and all the positive feedback you have, that shows your high business ethics.

Assuming everything is how you say it is, it's funny how scammers can suddenly disappear or drop their eBay case when faced with going to court for something like this. And if you were to go to small claims and win, you would have every right to have the negative feedback removed. I have also seen a few Judge Judy eBay fraud cases similar to yours, in which she lowered the boom on the perpetrator.

It just may be worth traveling to the buyer's county courthouse in Florida and filing a police report and a small claims case against the scammer... it's a value judgment on your part.

Something to think about.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 8 of 46
latest reply

Possibly competitor seller I have had this happen but most of the time they don't leave negative just steal the item..sounds like a revenge type thing or just a troublemaker getting their jollies.Good luck with this..karma will be your revenge.

Message 9 of 46
latest reply

Are you in communication with Ebay or are you just waiting for them to respond to a Dispute the buyer filed?  

Tell us what has transpired so far.  

Did you submit evidence to Ebay on the Dispute the buyer opened in an effort to get Ebay to close the dispute in your favor or have you actually reached out to Ebay?  Please tell us the steps you have taken so we better understand what it is you are waiting on from Ebay and how long has it been?

You were very smart to have all the serial numbers and part number in the pics you had on the listing.  I've often advised sellers to do this.  Good job.  I sure hope this helps you.

I would suggest that you contact Ebay for Business on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter for the better trained CSRs.

Here are your options for contacting Ebay Customer Service.  Please be aware that for social media CS, you send them a Private Message and briefly explain what your problem or issue is.  Feel free to leave your Name, address, phone number and/or your email address in this message.  It is private and secure and it may help to speed up the response for you.

https://twitter.com/askebay

https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

Your options will be on the left.  If you use the link below you can only get to the Automated Assistant or Chat box type AGENT in the box and hit enter. You will then get more options.  Not all options are available 24/7.  It will depend on staffing available.  So sometimes you can request a call back and sometimes you can't.  Sometimes you have the Chat option available and other times it won't me.  If it is important to you to use one of those options, just try back later.

If you use a cell phone or other mobile device, you may need to turn off your Spam filter so that Ebay can call you.

If you are a seller outside of the US or Canada, you will need to use the Chat Option.

https://www.ebay.com/help/home

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 46
latest reply

You have to contact someone from ebay not use the automated process. Someone MUST look at the different serial number on the camera submitted by the buyer. You may win this case as a switcheroo return from a dishonest buyer.

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

I highly recommend contacting Ebay on Facebook. They can look at the different serial number on the return. Please do whatever you can as I hate to see these buyers getting away with this because it encourages them to continue this behavior on here and that puts us all at risk. Do it!

Message 12 of 46
latest reply

How stupid of these buyers doing something like this within the same state. Yep, I would be doing the police report for sure.

Message 13 of 46
latest reply

eBay now has closed the case since they filed with their payment source. Almost like they know the system. I just got ripped off. 

Message 14 of 46
latest reply

@prez342 wrote:

eBay now has closed the case since they filed with their payment source. Almost like they know the system. I just got ripped off. 

Wait, this was a Chargeback, a dispute the buyer files directly with their payment source, not a dispute opened in Ebay?!?  That makes a difference in how you need to process things.

With the Chargeback, it would have been in your best interest to submit all the pics from your listing showing the serial number, the pics the buyer provided to you, the pics of what you actually received back from the buyer, copies of any emails between you and the buyer and a summary recap by you of what transpired.

If you want to appeal this, you need to do that through Ebay and you need to talk to a CSR so you can get all this evidence submitted.

I would suggest that you contact Ebay for Business on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter for the better trained CSRs.

Here are your options for contacting Ebay Customer Service.  Please be aware that for social media CS, you send them a Private Message and briefly explain what your problem or issue is.  Feel free to leave your Name, address, phone number and/or your email address in this message.  It is private and secure and it may help to speed up the response for you.

https://twitter.com/askebay

https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

Your options will be on the left.  If you use the link below you can only get to the Automated Assistant or Chat box type AGENT in the box and hit enter. You will then get more options.  Not all options are available 24/7.  It will depend on staffing available.  So sometimes you can request a call back and sometimes you can't.  Sometimes you have the Chat option available and other times it won't me.  If it is important to you to use one of those options, just try back later.

If you use a cell phone or other mobile device, you may need to turn off your Spam filter so that Ebay can call you.

If you are a seller outside of the US or Canada, you will need to use the Chat Option.

https://www.ebay.com/help/home

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 15 of 46
latest reply