cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer started a return, listed item as "Missing parts or pieces" but didn't read description.

Hi eBay sellers, please help I'm in a difficult situation.

Just recently I sold an used motherboard. In the package I put the motherboard, I/O shield, and some manuals and driver discs that came with it. Didn't include any screws as I don't have those anymore. I explicitly stated in the description "The package comes with everything seen in the photos. If the accessories or any other items are not pictured, they are not included." Made sure the pictures I took left out anything that wasn't included. However, the buyer received it today and complains that the item is "Missing pieces" even though I specified that they would not be included. Buyer complains item is "in a non-usable sate" as it does not include the screws. I created this listing thinking that eBay would cover me for a buyer error such as this, but after doing some research I have started to think that I won't be able to win this case. What should I do?

This is what the buyer commented (in verbatim): "Miss screws for I/I heat spreader. Missing socket backplate. Missing motherboard screws. I purchased the motherboard in bona fide that it was only missing SATA cables and the driver CD. Instead it has been sent in a non-usable sate."

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Buyer started a return, listed item as "Missing parts or pieces" but didn't read description.

This is what the buyer commented ...

@ediwe_93 

The ebay claim/return system is automatic bot driven.  The only thing that counts is what the buyer chooses from the dropdown menu when making a return claim.  At that point, it no longer matters what your description said, or what your photos depicted.  At the same time "buyer comments" are disregarded as well.  Your buyer could have said "I need the money to buy crack" but so long as they choose a "not as described reason" from that menu, you are on the hook for a return/refund.  The "choose a lie" system is never questioned anymore, and customer service is no longer allowed to intervene. 

Best bet, accept the return, issue the label, and hope you get the item you sent back to relist.  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

The old saying goes like this:

Describe your item as if there were no pictures;

Photograph your item as if there was no description.

Now that your buyer has filed a SNAD dispute, you have two choices: accept it, send the buyer a return label and refund the buyer once you get your item back.

Or deny the claim and expect to lose both the payment and the item.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

This is what the buyer commented ...

@ediwe_93 

The ebay claim/return system is automatic bot driven.  The only thing that counts is what the buyer chooses from the dropdown menu when making a return claim.  At that point, it no longer matters what your description said, or what your photos depicted.  At the same time "buyer comments" are disregarded as well.  Your buyer could have said "I need the money to buy crack" but so long as they choose a "not as described reason" from that menu, you are on the hook for a return/refund.  The "choose a lie" system is never questioned anymore, and customer service is no longer allowed to intervene. 

Best bet, accept the return, issue the label, and hope you get the item you sent back to relist.  

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I sold a junk lot of jewelry and buyer wanted to return because she said there was other things in it.  I let return it but she took items out and then returned it and, then gave me a negative feed back. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply