cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer returned dirty underwear

So I sold an undergarment (underwear) and the buyer (guest account purchase) filed a remorse return and sent it back. The buyer mentioned that it was for her wedding and didn't fit right. The package returned was missing an accessory that was originally included when it was sent out to them. The clothing is also soiled with some "thing" in the inside of the crotch area. I'm not going to look any closer to check what it actually is. All I can say is that the soiled area is darker than the rest of the garment.

Good thing ebay allows me to retain 50% of the refund (free returns)... because in ebay's words "You can use that money to balance out the difference when you re-sell the item as used." Thumbs up, ebay!

Message 1 of 79
latest reply
78 REPLIES 78

I've not heard of that. Ebay now allows sellers to scam buyers who return items by only giving them 50% of their money back ? If that is true Ebay will be loosing many buyers in the near future.

Message 2 of 79
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

I've not heard of that. Ebay now allows sellers to scam buyers who return items by only giving them 50% of their money back ? If that is true Ebay will be loosing many buyers in the near future.

eBay allows sellers to ATTEMPT to do that. But I believe the buyer must agree - otherwise the buyer can still appeal and receive the balance.

Message 3 of 79
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-spring/seller-protection.html

"

Starting June 1, 2018, when you offer free returns, you'll have greater control to manage your business, and you can decide to issue partial refunds to buyers. For example, if a buyer uses or damages an item and returns it, you can decide to issue a partial refund and we'll take it from there. If a buyer escalates a case, we'll take care of it for you so you can focus on your business. Plus, we'll protect your reputation from any negative feedback.

We also protect you from events outside your control, and support you when things don't go as planned.

By offering free returns, you'll have the flexibility to set your shipping and returns policies. If a buyer asks for something different or extra, or if we identify a buyer who frequently returns items, we'll step in and protect you. We'll also take care of situations when you ship your items on time and provide tracking—even when they arrive late."

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 4 of 79
latest reply

@coolections

@bigdeals.etc

And in Arts & Collecibles partial deduction amounts available either 10% or 20% if item returned damaged or not in same condition, packaging, etc. as sent. And as Lucky stated about the 50% I, too, wonder how that would work and who decides, eBay or Buyer, or both? I love the part "...so you can resell as used...". Don't think so.

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 5 of 79
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc

I would report them in a heartbeat...I would go behind ebay and get clarification that, in fact, they will honor your 50% partial. Better safe than sorry.

Message 6 of 79
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea

Thank you southernsweet. I knew there was some kind of policy or rule. 

Message 7 of 79
latest reply

Isn't the devil in the details of that policy:

When you offer free returns...

"When you don't offer free returns" is not addressed and therefore, isn't it likely the policy doesn't apply?

Message 8 of 79
latest reply

@goldguy22k

You are right, I believe you need to offer free returns regarding the 50% partials. But not sure if that applies to the Arts & Collectibles. What I printed out from May 24 doesn't say anything specific related to type of return policy. And I don't peruse the UA which would take hours to find. Am sure there are posters here that have that info at their fingertips.

Message 9 of 79
latest reply

@goldguy22k wrote:

Isn't the devil in the details of that policy:

When you offer free returns...

"When you don't offer free returns" is not addressed and therefore, isn't it likely the policy doesn't apply?

The policy applies only to sellers who accept free returns. The OP does free returns, so he can deduct up to 50% of the refund due. It still stinks (like the returned underwear, ewwww) but it's better than nothing I suppose.

If the buyer challenges the return, they deal with Ebay and not the seller.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 10 of 79
latest reply

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Complete-LACK-of-support-for-SELLERS-during-returns-process/m-...

Per Trinton:

"...if a seller receives back an item that was used or damaged by the buyer and they offer free returns, they will have the option of deducting up tot 50% of the refund based on eBay guidelines. If the buyer has any concerns with receiving less than a full refund, eBay will protect the seller from any negative impact and resolve this with the buyer ourselves. 

Though in some situations we may require additional information, in most cases a seller will simply select the appropriate deduction based on the condition of the return and a buyer can work with eBay if they have any concerns."

Message 11 of 79
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

No, it allows sellers to only lose half the money the buyer tried to scam the seller out of.

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 12 of 79
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea

Thanks for this great info. But does same apply to what I posted about Arts & Collectibles? (10-20%) partial?

Message 13 of 79
latest reply

@abfabvintage wrote:

@southern*sweet*tea

Thanks for this great info. But does same apply to what I posted about Arts & Collectibles? (10-20%) partial?

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handling-return-requests?id=4115#refund_g...

"If you don't offer free returns, you can deduct 10% or 20% of the refund amount in situations where the item is returned for remorse reasons and is used or damaged. This only applies to sales in the following categories:

• Business & Industrial
  • Parts & Accessories
  • Collectibles & Art
  • Cameras & Photo
  • Medical
  • Mobility & Disability Equipment
  • Home Improvement
  • Furniture
  • Musical Instruments & Gear
  • Yard, Garden & Outdoor"

I would assume so, but I really don't know. This is the first time I've seen or heard of this particular part of the policy.

Message 14 of 79
latest reply

Of course that will hardly ever apply as the buyers will just claim SNAD.

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 15 of 79
latest reply